Post by c.rainford73 »

Well done Louis
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Glorious :clap: :clap:
The PE stuff on both MG's really crown it off.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Here is the central pole/seats arrangement.

After a lot of picture analysis and some decision making for grey areas, I started making the basic parts needed for the central pole, commander's platform and the 2 seats located in the middle of the crew compartment. Keep in mind that I did not find two M113 interior that look the same in books or internet pictures. Vietnam era Walk Around did not seem to exist or are not published.
M113 central pole and seat position
Scratch building could be intimidating but it's really not that difficult once you have the right raw materials (pasticard sheets of various thickness, tubing of all sizes, bolts...) and basic tools. Anyway, there is no alternatives and actually, once you have built every plastic/resin kit available once or more, this is the next step to keep interest in the hobby. It opens up many new possibilities and you can build stuff people have not seen before.
The central module is almost finished. Still need to put on a few nuts and bolts. Seats can course be folded in the Up position. It took about 5 hours of work, after a few trials and minor errors. Keep the superglue light so that things can be unglued easily and repositioned. Solidify only after you are sure of everything.
Here is the dry fitting of the module inside the vehicle. The height of the seats and pole need to be adjusted at the end after testing it inside, the pole must be touching the roof. Small accessories allows to determine if everything looks to scale. The module will be glued in place to the floor only after painting is completely finished.
Here is a view with rear seat folded.
The central seat are highly visible from the rear ramp and also from the top roof trap. The thing is very dusty and need a good cleaning.
Here trying to see how things looks with some sandbags around. Sandbags of the right size would be required. I will see after painting. These after market real tissue sandbags could be cut in half and would look much better I think. I will ask the wife to step in...
Here is a view of the model as it stands today. I will now turn my attention back on finishing the roof and add the fine details, and after that, I guess it will be ready for the finishing phase.
1/16 M113 Acav
1/16 M113 Acav
Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This post shows the planning stage for the crew and grunts that will ride with the M113.

The idea of a RC running "M-113 Vietnam diorama" with interior came to me when I realized that a lot of the interior can be made available for detailing and for crew to live in. Vietnam era US tank crew and tank riders in 1/16 are non existing on the market so I have to use what is available and modify it.

First is the SOL US Marine 1 Vietnam. It is a very interesting figure. He has a flak jacket without shirt underneath, which was very common in the heat of Vietnam and something I was really looking for. The face is also beautifully done. It comes with an M-14 but it won't be used here. He will be my 50 cal gunner/commander and will be positioned in the cupola. He does not have the tank helmet but pictures of M-113 in Vietnam does not show crew member always wearing it.
Sol Marine 1
Sol Marine 1
Next are three Dragon 1607 Seal Vietnam figures. A seal of course does not fit in an M-113 but the figure comes in a half kneeling position and with modifications, the parts can be used for a sitting figure. This is important because there is absolutely no US Vietnam or modern sitting figure available. This one at least has the right uniform for the time (minus the tiger stripes of course) and has US Vietnam combat boots. It has some useful accessories but the Stoner assault machine gun does not fit. So, these will be used for the 3 sitting figures, and two torso/head with head bandana will likely be used for the driver and a sitting crew inside.
Dragon Seal
Dragon Seal
Dragon Seal
Dragon Seal
Next is the PMC 16002 Trooper 2/5th Cav, 1st Cav, Vietnam figure. It is just a torso and head. The plan here is to give it a pair of Dragon Seal legs but I am unsure of the results. The figure has a flak jacket without shirt, very good helmet with stuff strapped to it but has no accessories. The peace sign is interesting. The ammo pouch are molded in, not ideal. He will be given an M-16 and other equipment.
PMC Cav trooper
PMC Cav trooper
Next is a Mitches M60 Vietnam gunner. Complete figure, comes with flak jacket, M60, towel around the neck (a bit too strait though), an M60 MG and lots of accessories, grenades and the back pack you see sitting in the M-113 earlier. This guy has a nice original position and will be standing through the roof trap as an M60 gunner. The ammo around the waist is very interesting to have here.
Mitches M60 Vietnam gunner
Mitches M60 Vietnam gunner
One of the few Verlinden figure still affordable by some seller, the Verlinden 630, M79 grenade gunner Vietnam comes with legs molded in the soil, so these will not be used. The torso and the rest of the equipment is very useful and will be teamed with a pair of sitting Dragon Seal legs, the integration potential seems very good. Arms will not be put in a firing position, and will likely keep its M79.
Verlinden M79 gunner
Verlinden M79 gunner
I had this in inventory for at least 15 years. It is Verlinden 460 US Infantry gears and weapons. Comes with M-16A1 and Commando version, an M79, pouches, grenades, flash light, canteen, knife, pistol and a rare M-72 Law rocket launcher.
Verlinden US infantry gears and weapons
Verlinden US infantry gears and weapons
Here are the some pictures of the crew arrangement for planning purposes. It will obviously take a lot of efforts to modify the figures. The painting, with a lot of flesh exposed, will also be complicated and risky. The biggest building challenge will be teaming the PMC torso with the Dragon legs in a natural position. This is the only one that I am not sure of the result.
M113 crew
M113 crew
M113 crew
M113 crew
M113 crew
M113 crew
Lots of challenges ahead.

Regards, Louis
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Louis you've done a fantastic job!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
Following along and enjoying every segment of this amazing build.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

With the addition of the roof details, construction of the exterior is completed... i think. I might give a shot at redoing the arm for the trim vane to make it more accurate but that will be it. I turn the model around and round and do not see anything else i want to do prior to painting. More items will be added later like spare tracks, Jerrycans, tow cables, tools... but after painting.

The small details take a lot of time to do. They are usually complicated, such as the guards for the rear lights. As all i have for tools is a blade, a metal ruler, pliers, superglue and some files, making some of the parts is challenging but doable. The method i use and the results can then be replicated really by anymore. Hopefully, this report will be of help to someone in the future that will build this same model.
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
Tie downs were hand made with 0.5mm brass rods. First cut the rod in section, crush both ends with a heavy plier, then bend to the approximate shape with a small plier. Pretty sure some vendor sell these tie downs ready to install and with a more accurate shape (cast) but there are many of them required and it would be expensive to buy these. There are even more tie downs inside but I have not done these yet.
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
Various brackets seen on pictures were recreated.
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
This is the antenna guard and locking mechanism for the driver's hatch. The guard front leg is not glued so that the roof can be opened separately.
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
View from above with 1/35 kits showing size difference with 1/16.
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
Ok, last 4 shots of the white M-113. The next time you will see it, the model will be Olive Drab. Ah finally. I can't stand the white stuff anymore.
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
Next step is to redo a better arm for the trim vane, install the tie downs inside the vehicle, and then the painting phases will begin. It promises to be complicated due to the required and risky Vietnam weathering that i am quite unfamiliar with.

It is starting to look like the eastern front here in Quebec so i won't be able to bring the model outside until spring awakening.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Here is the final construction update before painting starts.

This is the holder for the tow cable.
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
I redid the arm for the trim vane as per reference. It is now static. More enterprising gentlemen could find a way to activate the trim vane with a servo.
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
I installed the tubing running through the interior ceiling to the back, in real life connecting to the ramp locking and operating mechanism. The interior will be painted light green (sky).
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
Here is the handle and interior ceiling details under the cupola, the armored plante hiding the fact that I shifted the cupola hole towards the back.
1/16 M-113
1/16 M-113
This is the Shapeways AN/VIC-1 intercom set, containing amplifiers, control boxes, speakers and bunch of required connectors.
Shapeways AN/VIC-1 intercom set
Shapeways AN/VIC-1 intercom set
I am having a hard time finding 1/16 scale military issue fire extinguishers. I bought these on Shapeways as raw material for modifications into the 4 canisters that I need. I'll see after painting.
Shapeways 1/25 fire extinguisher
Shapeways 1/25 fire extinguisher
Regards, Louis
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Keeps getting better. Well done Louis.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Louis,

You have done an absolutely fantastic job on an iconic piece of military equipment. :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: BRAVO!!!!!

I did two tours to South East Asia and the M113s were everywhere.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”