Chieftain ARRV mk 7

wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Chieftain ARRV mk 7

Post by wibblywobbly »

:haha: :haha: :haha:

That's one hell of a pair of binoculars!!
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

W.W.,
They use that thing to blow out oil well fires! Pretty cool use of an old T-34 chassis and some MiG engines *chuckles*
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I thought you were making that up till I found this. Hungarian T34, MIG 21 engines, and a lot of water. Amazing!

Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

W.W
People are endlessly inventive when it comes to tanks. The new railgun chassis' are purported to be fairly sweet as well. *looks around* Of course, I wouldn't know anything about that.
;o) regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Merlin707
Corporal

Post by Merlin707 »

Mounting a rail gun to a tank chassis would be a phenomenal vehicle.

What if they mounted the new laser heat weapon the U.S. navy has just installed on one of its frigates?

Exciting times for possible future what if builds :)
Razor 1, Intercept Bogies Angels 2 5, Cleared Hot Engage, Fox 2 Fox 2

Semper In Faecibus Sumus Sole Profundum Variat

HL/Tamiya Sherman - Bulldog Turreted
Taigen Tiki Tiger 1
Torro KingTiger
E-25 Tank Destroyer
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Well, there are two hopes for an operating crane, No Hope and Bob Hope. There simply isn't enough room as the pics below hopefully demonstrate. No room at all for servo's, motors, winches or anything else. I will make it manually moveable, but that will have to do.
Attachments
DSCN0374.JPG
DSCN0372.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thats a shame mate, I bet that will keep you up tonight just in case there is something you've missed !!

Is there any way of mounting a mini servo upside down inside the 'hydraulic control' section of the crane to drive off a fixed gear mounted in the hull under the pintle of the crane base ?
A lot of RC off road vehicles have bevel gear shaft drives of different sorts...............just a thought. :think:
The hydraulic motor in your pic is not real big in reality, but a servo small enough bunged in might just be able to be disguised enough to do the trick ?
Attachments
cf77[1].jpg
cf77[1].jpg (58.4 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Yup, I could probably shoe horn a micro servo in there to get lift, but there wouldn't be any room for anything else. I am adding a bit more detail for the rear end of the hydraulic mounts, and the space is vanishing by the second. :{ The cotton bud shows up how little room there is.

The attachment points for the hydraulics are in welded on sections on the side of the crane arm. They are ok for static use, but I reckon that the slightest pressure on them will see them fly off.

Bit of a shame, but I would rather have everything solid than have to keep sticking tiny bits of detail back on.
Attachments
DSCN0378.JPG
DSCN0377.JPG
DSCN0376.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I just kept staring at where the crane should be, thinking about what I could do, and how I would do it, then rethinking and going around in circles. In the end this is how I did it. It's not exact, but its as close as I could get it, and as strong as I could make it.

At least it moves! :P
Attachments
DSCN0385.JPG
DSCN0384.JPG
DSCN0383.JPG
DSCN0382.JPG
DSCN0381.JPG
DSCN0380.JPG
DSCN0379.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Now started on the engine servicing framework, which is a bit complex and took me a while to figure out. Like the crane I am making it removeable so that when I come to paint everything I will have better access.

There are two lugs at the front that slot into the mounts on the roof, just like the real thing. There is plenty more to do on this part though, so progress will be slow. Mysteriously I seem to have a flawed sheet of 3mm styrene, it refuses to snap cleanly, never had this happen before?
Attachments
DSCN0386.JPG
DSCN0388.JPG
DSCN0389.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Modern Builds”