M-113A2 APC - Late 1980s with Tow launcher - Build

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M-113A2 APC - Late 1980s with Tow launcher - Build

Post by BarryC »

Louis,

There are not enough superlatives to properly describe what you've accomplished on the interior.
So I just going to say HOLY COW! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was a little disappointed as well with the AFV M2 but my aim was for something sturdy enough to take some bumps and bangs especially with it mounted out on the barrel of the Abrams.

In the future I think I will be using the plastic Tamiya M2 with the Aber barrel and added scratch built details. Reworking the bronze casting is really quite a challenge.

Can't wait to see the M113 all painted up! :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, thank you Lee and Barry for your kind words.

I have started restoring and adapting the roof top, the previous owner did a very good job. Here is a showcase of the superb Verlinden roof top elements that I worked on today. This kit is just great.

The rear roof hatch and locking mechanism
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
Capture4.JPG (98.9 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
Because this M-113A2 is modernized with rear external fuel cells, the fuel cap on the top left has to be removed and replaced by a metal plate seen in references.
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
Antenna guards
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
Front grill
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
Driver's hatch, locking mechanism and side antenna
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
M113 roof top
Regards, Louis
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

What?..........no coffee machine ??
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Louis,

After watching you build two versions of the M-113 basically from two different kits except for the chassis you've got me on the hunt for the Verlinden kit. It appears to be the best approach.

Your thoughts?

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

BarryC wrote:Louis,After watching you build two versions of the M-113 basically from two different kits except for the chassis you've got me on the hunt for the Verlinden kit. It appears to be the best approach.Your thoughts?
Barry, I was asking myself the same question if I was to redo both, and I know I will do another one day... Here are my thoughts.

Tub and suspension; The only thing in common with the two builds are the Ludwig tub and Taigen Panther suspension with metal blades. The metal blades on Ludwigs plastic casing is rough and does not work that well, but the Taigen elements fit the Ludwigs tub design and is convenient. I just noticed that Tank-Modellbau is advertising a new M-113 suspension set that i would likely give it a try on a future build. I just wish Christian had put 1mm more between each suspension hole, allowing more space between road wheels.

Detailing: The new information that came to light for me as a surprise during the two builds is that the Verlinden kit is not 1/15, but actually 1/16 and a good fit for the Ludwigs tub. Use of the Verlinden kit is therefore a good way to detail an accurate 1/16 model, and save a lot of time and energy. It would be difficult for any builder to get to the same level of details by scratch building but use of small photo-etched metal parts in many areas is complex. When I think of the weeks I spent on the ACAV on scratch building the trim vane, commander cupola, driver hatch, headlights, grills and the interior, i think it is worth the $400-600 spent on a new kit on ebay. Being able to buy a used static kit and rebuild it into a RC was a big money saver for me, my best $93 spent on modelling. I therefore recommend the Verlinden kit for front, top, rear and interior.

Motorization; the simplest and more efficient way is to use a HL gearbox, with Ludwigs sprockets and HL PzIII tracks as with the ACAV build, but it is then not possible to have a detailed driver area. Use of Tank-Modellbau tracks and sprocket was relatively easy but there is no readily available and affordable motorization for these available on the market. So, i had to look for some home made gearbox and while i was studying use of motors with a planetary gearbox and 4mm drive shafts, i noticed i could position them in a way that would allow the driver area to be detailed. So, both motorizations are ok i guess but it depends on your needs. I have not experimented yet on how long the motors with planetary gearbox will last... I recommend avoiding cheap versions from China that sells for a few bucks and go with the best ones available on the market.

Road wheels; Shapeways road wheels are ok and have the right dimension but should have 8 screw holes instead of 10. It is mostly a "spare road wheel" so the whole axel arrangement and hub cap need to be designed by the builder, it's not easy. Verlinden road wheels are of the right dimensions (i reduced them by 1mm in diameter to fit the Ludwigs spacing), are molded in thick resin and pretty solid, and can easily be adapted to RC with flanged ball bearings. They have the right 8 screws and come with the hub cap. They come with the Verlinden kit so they are readily available, and cheap to convert. MK Modellbau sells metal M113 roadwheels in various available shaft sizes, but i found them to be too wide and the use of shrink tubes to simulate the rubber ring was not obvious to me. They have 10 screw holes instead of 8. The mounting on the Taigen Panther suspension arms was not working for me so i had to return them after thorough analysis. They might be a better fit with the new Tank-Modellbau or Panzer III suspension arms.

Tracks; Other than PzIII tracks, the only alternative i saw is the Tank-Modellbau M113 metal tracks with rubber pads. They are expensive and i did not have a chance yet to fully experiment with them. As with any metal tracks, they are running rough at first but hope for the best later with some oil. They require their specific metal sprockets that have a 4mm shaft and do not fit HL gearbox, so no obvious integration available. They represent the type of tracks used by European countries and Canada and are not an accurate fit for US M-113. The Tank-Modellbau metal idler is good.

ACAV; The Verlinden ACAV conversion kit currently on sale on ebay for $12 in large quantity by one vendor is a bargain considering that I looked for one for years and the cheapest i saw before that went up to $50. It fit any kit perfectly. I bought 2 more, mostly for the nice M60 machine guns that come with it.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Finished the roof top.

This is the Verlinden commander's cupola as base for the scratch built folding mount and AFV-Model machine gun. Nice Verlinden details with inside periscope details as well.
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
The original Verlinden hatch locking mechanism was lost in transit and I had to rebuilt one from scratch.
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
As mentioned before, I am disappointed with the AFV-Model machine gun. For the price, the casting is not of the quality I expected, notice the bubbles and distortions. There is an Hex pin on the side, which is terrible for accuracy and look. This metal is so hard, it is difficult to work with. It did not come with an ammo box.
AFV-Model M2 .50 Cal MG
AFV-Model M2 .50 Cal MG
On the second picture, there was a large gap hole on the top that needed to be filled with putty. I do not understand how they could assemble, sell and ship this item, it should not have passed quality control, if any. I did not inspect it properly when I received it a while ago and should have returned it. Its survival as the M-113 MG will depend on how it will look once painted.
AFV-Model M2 .50 Cal MG
AFV-Model M2 .50 Cal MG
Finished cupola installed on M113 chassis. It is flexible and can be positioned manually. Those who would build this kit without interior could make both Tow Launcher and cupola functional with rotation unit and servos.
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
Missing tie downs were made and added
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
Rear view of folded MG mount. My guess is that the Ammo box holder need to be made removable as well, but AFV-Model soldered it... and will likely have to destroy it to remove it.
M113 Commander's cupola
M113 Commander's cupola
Almost done with construction. Next step is to finish the front glacis.

Regards, Louis.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

With these last few items added, construction is over.

Most Canadian M113 have turn lights on front glacis.
M113 m-113 m-113A2 RC 1/16
Capture.JPG (24.11 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
The finished front glacis
Spare tracks
Last pictures before painting. For the most part, White plasticard is Ludwigs, Resin and Camo is Verlinden, metal is Tank Modellbau and AFV-Model, brass is scratch built, Yellow and grey is Lego based.
Field trial, I sent it in the bush...
And a YouTube video

https://youtu.be/qEYmaWHu4x4

Next time you see it, it will be painted.

Regards, Louis
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Louis,

It's looking better each time you show it! :clap:

Thank you very much for the explanation of you process and thoughts. :thumbup:

I've got an eBay search set up to watch for a Verlinden kit.

Cheers,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Another winner Louis, I'm looking forward to seeing you work your magic with the paint and weathering. Seeing the model in action near the pool has got me hoping for something amphibious in your future, though. ;)
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Status report.. Painting work in progress, no work yet on interior. Still much to do but it gives a good idea of what it is going to be.
M113 under painting
M113 under painting
M113 under painting
M113 under painting
M113 under painting
M113 under painting
Regards, Louis

Return to “Modern Builds”