Challenger 2 Theater entry standard build

tomhugill
Captain

Re: Challenger 2 Theater entry standard build

Post by tomhugill »

A little update on the challenger. I've treated it to some more parts from armoured models. I'm going to add the emitter tube into the mantlet sight, the opening door is a really nice touch. The commanders site and the enforcer are mounted on bearing so move freely. Really impressed with the parts, the gun barrel on the enforcer even has the flutes represented.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks, this build has been locked into the long grass for a while waiting for parts and inclination to crack on with it.

There were some detail part additions that I wanted to add, around the mounts for the turret armour and a couple of other details such as the cable drum holder.

However the main thrust of the work required is electrical. I initially did an instal with a regular tk60, however after I'd done a tk60g2 install on a tamiya abrams and I was that impressed that I decided to do the same thing needed to be done one my challenger.

Something that was raised was being mindful about cables being twisted. I needed a slip ring which could handle motor power but couldn't find anything like this.

Happily Stanley at rctanklegion has come good and has one in specifically for tamiya modern tanks. It has 4x10A channels and 12A channels. This allows for the motors, rotation, engine deck switch, speaker, head lights, indicators and 2 spare should the be needed later.

Wire hygiene isn't generally my strong point but on this build with all the electrics in the turret I pushed myself to be as neat as possible here.

Here's the wiring within the hull, on this tank there is a good deal of space within the hull, but due to the position of the recoil in the turret being off centre there needs to be some room left for the wiring to move around the turret centre.

I've also made up a speaker box in the front integrated into the hull, like I have done on my chieftain.

ImageImageImage

On the turret the tk60 was installed in the bustle with the Rx along side on one side and the gyro on the other side. There's also a volume control. Wires were all put into conduits depending on where there were going to on the board. I also added some side plates to keep wiring within the turret and make it easier to attach the turret top.

Some photos of the lighting. I need to add the beacon light to the turret as well as adding some tamiya red clear to most of the white LEDs

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Some videos of the tank in action

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Something I'm still waiting on is the Clark rotation unit with the engine deck level sensor. Currently I'm using metal rotation unit, this is a little slow, especially on 2S. With the Clark unit this speed will be increased greatly which really helps which the stabilization. I still need to dial this in on the elevation servo too.
Phantom ACE
Recruit

Post by Phantom ACE »

Hi, I have been following your build for a while now and have found it really useful, I’m currently working through Chally TES build and have the TES upgrade about to be mounted but was wondering where you sourced the resin upper detail for the add on side side armour. Keep up the great work ! Al.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Phantom ACE wrote:Hi, I have been following your build for a while now and have found it really useful, I’m currently working through Chally TES build and have the TES upgrade about to be mounted but was wondering where you sourced the resin upper detail for the add on side side armour. Keep up the great work ! Al.
Thank you for the kind words! The toppers for the armour were 3d printed by a friend. I might have the stls knocking about of you have the facility to print

Return to “Modern Builds”