Heng Long T72 Problems

dai phan
Private

Heng Long T72 Problems

Post by dai phan »

Hi all

I have not had much luck with my 2 latest HL tanks. I just got the T72 with 360 degree rotation. However every while it would not complete a circle and clicking noise appears then stops. I open up the tank and I saw nothing that could impede the motion. I checked and recheck to make sure nothing got in the way then close the tank. It would work for a few rotations then the problem starts again. Also BB function now stops working. No cannon sound, no recoil nothing. I starts to lose faith in these HL tanks gals and guys... Dai

BTW: I found a broken lug where the screw goes into. Now I only have 5 screws to hold the tank down.
dai phan
Private

Re: Heng Long T72 Problems

Post by dai phan »

Hi all,

I found many problems. Both of the wires connect to CN 10 ( BB) were off the plastic insert that goes into CN10. I used tooth pick and reinsert them back in the socket. Quite difficult but I got the BB /cannon sound to work. Will ask Toucan to send me a new connector. There are two cracks in front of the tank and looks like someone drops the tank because one of the screw lugs broke away from the mount at the same area. I repaired by using CA and epoxy but now the idlers are at an off angle. Out of Heng Long tanks, one has motor issue that needs replacement (Panther G), one has defective rear light that needs replacement (T99A), and this with cracked hull. Will the cracked hull although repaired with epoxy pose a future problem? Should I ask TH for a new tank? Thanks Dai
Attachments
IMG_5991.jpg
IMG_5997.jpg
IMG_5993.jpg
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Dai,

Considering all the stress that is placed on the Idlers I do not think you can repair the cracked hull where it will last. In my opinion it is poorly designed though I am not sure it could be better designed given the shape of the T-72's hull at that point.

I am afraid you are going to need a new lower hull.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I agree with Barry. There's no way you should be troubled (and it is all a bother) by the consequences of somebody else's carelessness. If you can get a decent, functional replacement, you have a right to one. The problem then might be, that they won't agree to replace a model you've opened up and worked on. :problem:
Nonetheless, you should demand a replacement.
You could bond in strips of (modelling grade) alloy plate or styrene to reinforce the hull but, and here's the kicker; you shouldn't have to :problem: :thumbdown:
Hope this hasn't put you off the hobby. We've all had disappointments at some time or other, I think. :think: Perhaps more than at any other time, in recent years, we would like a few things to go right for a change. :problem: Best of luck, and hope it all works out for you. :thumbup: :wave:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
dai phan
Private

Post by dai phan »

Hello all,

I have contacted Toucan and ask for new lower hull. I have bought 11 tanks in 2 months from them and I hope they will treat me right. But regardless, it is good bussiness to take care of the problem as this tank should have never left the factory. Had I not known about the turret issue I would have never found out until too late. I understand this is the newest 2019 release from HL. Dai
dai phan
Private

Post by dai phan »

43rdRecceReg wrote:I agree with Barry. There's no way you should be trouble (and it is all a bother) by the consequences of somebody else's carelessness. If you can get a decent, functional replacement, you have a right to one. The problem then might be, that they won't agree to replace a model you've opened up and worked on. :problem:
Nonetheless, you should demand a replacement.
You could bond in strips of (modelling grade) alloy plate or styrene to reinforce the hull but, and here's the kicker; you shouldn't have to :problem: :thumbdown:
Hope this hasn't put you off the hobby. We've all had disappointments at some time or other, I think. :think: Perhaps more than at any other time, in recent years, we would like a few things to go right for a change. :problem: Best of luck, and hope it all works out for you. :thumbup: :wave:
A good way to repair is to apply fiberglass cloth over the area with epoxy. The problem is that idlers are at about 5-10 degrees off center no matter how hard I proximate the parts together. Dai
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I wonder if it was handled a bit too roughly during shipping?
dai phan
Private

Post by dai phan »

Jimster wrote:I wonder if it was handled a bit too roughly during shipping?

Consider the cracks and the mounting lug broke off in the same area I suspect the tank was dropped nose first. I hope Toucan will send me a new hull in case the repair does not do its job. Will let you all know what T says. Dai
dai phan
Private

Post by dai phan »

Now BB/recoil no longer works. So damn tired of this lemon. Dai
dai phan
Private

Post by dai phan »

I checked and the wires are not interfering with the turret rotation. I think the damage is internal as now BB/recoil does not work. Dai

Return to “Modern Builds”