Help with T99A issues.

abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: Help with T99A issues.

Post by abramsky »

Great news. It's good that replacing the wires and motors helped. There are no hidden Voodoo secrets just some electrics. It's good that you have tried all the variants. As I understand it, you didn't have to switch the control mode from two sticks back to the standard HL to get the turret rotation and elevation back to the left stick?
This wheel, in the position you showed, works as a brake. It couldn't work properly :)
And check if that rocker arm spring is properly seated in the seat in the lower hull. There must be a small blocking hole where the end of the spring must hit ...
And my last advice. Use a multimeter to diagnose more easily and quickly what is wrong with your electrician. This will save you a lot of work and time :)

You have learned a lot from these failures. But I hope nothing more serious will happen to you :)

Good luck
dai phan
Private

Post by dai phan »

abramsky wrote:Great news. It's good that replacing the wires and motors helped. There are no hidden Voodoo secrets just some electrics. It's good that you have tried all the variants. As I understand it, you didn't have to switch the control mode from two sticks back to the standard HL to get the turret rotation and elevation back to the left stick?
This wheel, in the position you showed, works as a brake. It couldn't work properly :)
And check if that rocker arm spring is properly seated in the seat in the lower hull. There must be a small blocking hole where the end of the spring must hit ...
And my last advice. Use a multimeter to diagnose more easily and quickly what is wrong with your electrician. This will save you a lot of work and time :)

You have learned a lot from these failures. But I hope nothing more serious will happen to you :)

Good luck
I learned that if you install 5.3 gears onto the 6.0/s system you MUST reverse the wires meaning red to black. And if the tank still goes reverse then switch the connections that goes from M1 to M1 on the MFU meaning M1 goes to M2 on the main board. I will need to order some hex screws from TH as the one that holds the road wheel in the correct position is badly stripped. Dai
dai phan
Private

Post by dai phan »

I have 11 HL tanks and 1 Taigen. The Panther G has a bad motor that got replaced. The T99A has broken rear light and stripped out hex screw allowing the road wheel to be in a "brake" position. The T72 has broken hulls (upper/lower) and stripped 360 wires. The wiring inside the T72 is a complete massive mess that tangling the wires when the turret turning cannot be avoided. All discovered within 2 days of opening the box. I need to lower my expectations as these are nothing more than above average toy grade tanks. Dai
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

dai phan wrote:I learned that if you install 5.3 gears onto the 6.0/s system you MUST reverse the wires meaning red to black. And if the tank still goes reverse then switch the connections that goes from M1 to M1 on the MFU meaning M1 goes to M2 on the main Board.
When I was installing the v6.1 MFU on my son's Abrams, I had a similar problem, except that they never swapped the turret rotation stick with the tank steering stick. And the solution I gave you worked right away. It's a pity that the HL in its new MFU described M1 / M2 engines instead of Left / Right. But I know why they did it.
If I have some time, I will try to upload the film on my yt channel in which I will show this problem with swapping engines and explain why it happens. I will paste the link here on the forum.
dai phan
Private

Post by dai phan »

abramsky wrote:
dai phan wrote:I learned that if you install 5.3 gears onto the 6.0/s system you MUST reverse the wires meaning red to black. And if the tank still goes reverse then switch the connections that goes from M1 to M1 on the MFU meaning M1 goes to M2 on the main Board.
When I was installing the v6.1 MFU on my son's Abrams, I had a similar problem, except that they never swapped the turret rotation stick with the tank steering stick. And the solution I gave you worked right away. It's a pity that the HL in its new MFU described M1 / M2 engines instead of Left / Right. But I know why they did it.
If I have some time, I will try to upload the film on my yt channel in which I will show this problem with swapping engines and explain why it happens. I will paste the link here on the forum.
Love to see what you got. My HL Abrams will be here today. I was delighted to see inside the T99A is not a complete mess like the T72. Dai
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

dai phan wrote:I have 11 HL tanks and 1 Taigen. The Panther G has a bad motor that got replaced. The T99A has broken rear light and stripped out hex screw allowing the road wheel to be in a "brake" position. The T72 has broken hulls (upper/lower) and stripped 360 wires. The wiring inside the T72 is a complete massive mess that tangling the wires when the turret turning cannot be avoided. All discovered within 2 days of opening the box. I need to lower my expectations as these are nothing more than above average toy grade tanks. Dai
Exactly. Don't expect anything more from them than they are only expensive toys. I didn't have such problems with my son's Leopard, but he only has 2 tanks in total and I have completely rebuilt one. You have much more of them, so you found out about their quality sooner ...
My advice - you need to check every model immediately after purchase. I immediately found a too short cables goes to the smoke generator. They were as tight as a guitar string and the contacts indicated a possible short circuit and damage to the MFU. In addition, the turret wire's are routed to the MFU in such a way that they have to get tangled after a few turns of the tower ( that is because MFU is placed in worst place in the hull ). If you do check everything (including the unfortunate loose / tight bolts on the entire model) before your first ride you should avoid most problems.
dai phan
Private

Post by dai phan »

dai phan wrote:I have 11 HL tanks and 1 Taigen. The Panther G has a bad motor that got replaced. The T99A has broken rear light and stripped out hex screw allowing the road wheel to be in a "brake" position. The T72 has broken hulls (upper/lower) and stripped 360 wires. The wiring inside the T72 is a complete massive mess that tangling the wires when the turret turning cannot be avoided. All discovered within 2 days of opening the box. I need to lower my expectations as these are nothing more than above average toy grade tanks. Dai
And the newest Abrams has serious wiring flaw that the wires are being ripped/pulled out of socket as the turret turns. During the process it burned out the CN4 connection. Need I say more? Dai
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Bad luck...amd as I said You before - toy grade assembly procedure and QC...
I will reply to you in a moment about your Abrams.
dai phan
Private

Post by dai phan »

abramsky wrote:Bad luck...amd as I said You before - toy grade assembly procedure and QC...
I will reply to you in a moment about your Abrams.
I see you have Hobby Engine Abrams. Any good? Dai
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I had one of those Hobby Engine Abrams years ago. It's actually worse than Heng Long IMO. It was the only Abrams in 1/16 scale for a while which is why I bought it. I sold it before even trying to make it better. It used rubber band style tracks.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Modern Builds”