Challenger 2 custom tension mod.

Landraider
Recruit

Challenger 2 custom tension mod.

Post by Landraider »

Greetings to all.
New to all this but I thought I might show a modification I did to sort my 2018 Challenger 2 tank track issues. An ongoing annoyance between track tension and a slightly angled idler wheel (which didn't help with the track tension).
This is for a 2.4G 4.3 version with metal track and drive wheel/idler. Tracks kept on coming off so I upgraded to newer idler and drive wheel (with the swish plates) but the issue was still there and clearly to do with track tension, especially on the left side (looking forward from the drivers hatch) which was drooping quite a lot.
All told it wasn't being used much as a result.

Quarantine Happened so not much else to do! The idea of cutting up my (quite expensive) tank was a bit strange but hey, why not!

Main thoughts are to utilise the same sort of system as the actual tank to try and blend in but using blocks to push the idler forwards a bit.
First idea to use a couple of links off an old bike chain to match the original layout; very close and too many hours spent trying to make it work but the chain link holes are just too far apart (about 4mm) so would cause drive/track impacts.

Long story short Mechano is exactly the right size and, with a couple of 3D printed filler parts, it works and seems to be holding out. What I did was:
1 Cut off the old one, and the "arm" behind it
2 File back the remaining bits level with the rest of the bracket (make sure this face is flat and not angled as this affects the idler angle)
3 Fill in the hollow in the moulded tension "barrel" with cut spru and glue
4 Cut the head off a suitable screw and glue axel into hole (you may need to drill it out a bit to add length)
5 Mechano strip cut down to 2 hole lengths (almost matches the size!)
6 Create filler strip and outer spacer
7 Make tension "blocks" to go between the old "arm" and new idler pivot
8 Put it all together

If only I knew all that before I started it would have saved hours!

Note; the existing "tensioning" system is hollow and I filled it as much as possible with cut up bits of plastic and glue to try and give the bolt something to hold on to. I ended up gluing the threaded part in after cutting the head off, to create the pivot.

I'm trying to add pictures but it does look very "stock" and the arm movement mimics the original, which is nice. The different size blocks push the arm forwards, increasing the tension.

Hopefully I have attached pictures but I'm new and don't know if I did things correctly!
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Re: Challenger 2 custom tension mod.

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

Sorry to say dude no pictures :( but the explanation was good! I also struggled putting pictures on, but if you get the Tapatalk app it's alot easier!
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
Landraider
Recruit

Post by Landraider »

Right. I'll have to look in to that. Pictures speak a thousand words and all that!
Landraider
Recruit

Post by Landraider »

I have installed the app! Her goes...ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Coming through loud and clear, good work :thumbup: so is the only thing holding the idler arm in place the one screw into the old idler/Hull?
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
Landraider
Recruit

Post by Landraider »

Yes. It does seem a bit risky and the plastic on it's own almost worked but threaded quickly, hence a glued bar jutting out. Plus backfilling the empty space should help. The arm pulls back on the tension "block" (not in this pic) as well, which rests on the original "piston". And an additional brace behind I forgot to mentio (silver/grey, just right of centre shot).Image

spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Good work dude, now just for all those other little bits :haha:
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi. Landraider
Check this out this is how i did mine and fully automatic, might give you some ideas. :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=25984

Regards.
Sub.
Landraider
Recruit

Post by Landraider »

I have to admit that is a fab set-up you made there!

I did spot it and wonder if I could do similar but I don't have the tools to make in metal, nor the talent!

Apparently the new Chally comes with a tensioner unit now. Grr!

Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
No worries, if the ones you have made work...then thats all that matters. :thumbup:
It would be interesting to see what the new Chally tanks have for tensioning, thanks for the update i will keep an eye out.
Regards.
Sub.

Return to “Modern Builds”