HL Chally chassis bracing

Zonda
Recruit

HL Chally chassis bracing

Post by Zonda »

Hi All

I'm going to brace the chally with some aluminium angle I bought from Wickes earlier today. But I then found some steel angle at home! Appreciate that steel is heavier but as it's just been lying around I'm considering using that instead. Is that an absolute no go due to the extra weight? It 's is heavier but there's not loads in it and the all metal running gear makes the chally heavy anyway so a little more weight I'm thinking won't be a disaster.

I've seen the RCtanklegion videos so was going to use that approach.

Also can i use a single part adhesive or is 2 part epoxy the best way to make the bond.

Thanks

Zee
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Re: HL Chally chassis bracing

Post by Black Knight »

Personally I'd go with the aluminium - you already have a fair weight with the metal running gear so why risk stressing the motors too much?

Have you upgraded the motors/gearboxes to cope? I have a set of the Ultimate 2 boxes - almost unused - going spare.
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
Docomar750
Private

Post by Docomar750 »

Hi
I used two part epoxy and also some M6 bolts and locking nuts ( belts and braces so to speak)

Zonda
Recruit

Post by Zonda »

Black Knight wrote:Personally I'd go with the aluminium - you already have a fair weight with the metal running gear so why risk stressing the motors too much?

Have you upgraded the motors/gearboxes to cope? I have a set of the Ultimate 2 boxes - almost unused - going spare.
Good point about the motors. Didn't think of that! I've not upgraded the motors or box. It's running the standard soft metal box and silver coloured motors. Was going to see how they get on and then replace when they break! How much are you looking for for the U2 box.

Cheers.
Zonda
Recruit

Post by Zonda »

Docomar750 wrote:Hi
I used two part epoxy and also some M6 bolts and locking nuts ( belts and braces so to speak)

That looks good and I like the way you've extended the front to sit on top of the front screw mountings. I'm looking to brace at the front and rear as I'm not planning on removing the battery box. Unless I need a third brace?

And I saw another post on this forum where the rear brace had slots cut into it so it could slot over the gearbox walls.

Cheers.
Zonda
Recruit

Post by Zonda »

Hi All.

Have done my first round of improvements!

I've done the chassis bracing with just the one error! I tried cross bracing the front end to then find the lid wouldn't shut. Still a very slight gap and I think it's due to running the angle all the way to the edge! Not much I can do about the additional drill holes but I worked out an alternative method in the end. Fitted the HL U2 box/motors which I bought used from black knight, fitted driveshaft support bushes from tankbear and also made a speaker box and used a BMW speaker I had lying around. Sounds great now and drives along nicely in the garden.

Will look to do the 360 conversion at some point but for now it's going fine. I'm not sure if a bit of grease might quieten down the plastic turret ring and gun elevator. They're very noisy!
20190408_2339372.jpg
Cheers

Zee
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Zonda wrote:Hi All.

Have done my first round of improvements!

I've done the chassis bracing with just the one error! I tried cross bracing the front end to then find the lid wouldn't shut. Still a very slight gap and I think it's due to running the angle all the way to the edge! Not much I can do about the additional drill holes but I worked out an alternative method in the end. Fitted the HL U2 box/motors which I bought used from black knight, fitted driveshaft support bushes from tankbear and also made a speaker box and used a BMW speaker I had lying around. Sounds great now and drives along nicely in the garden.

Will look to do the 360 conversion at some point but for now it's going fine. I'm not sure if a bit of grease might quieten down the plastic turret ring and gun elevator. They're very noisy!
20190408_2339372.jpg
Cracking job mate!
Cheers

Zee
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit

Return to “Modern Builds”