2x FPS+15x ROF Airsoft Upgrade HL Abrams

Heisenberg
Recruit

Re: 1.5xFPS+10xROF Airsoft Upgrade HL Abrams

Post by Heisenberg »

JamesRobertson wrote:Hi Heisenberg,

Great to see someone else interested in the same thing!

The magazine was a bigger challenge then the gun itself, definitely. I studied the designs for self-winding box mags and standard airsoft magazines, so that should put you on the right track. The key is you need to apply constant pressure to the line of BBs to push them into the chamber. Typically this is accomplished by a spring inside the airsoft magazine that applies force to a sprocket which rotates like a paddle-wheel and pushes the BB's through a tube and into the chamber. In a self-winding magazine, the spring is constantly tensioned by a motor so there is no need to wind it every ~30 rounds like with a normal magazine.

Unfortunately commercial self-winding magazines are way too big to fit in a 1/16 tank, so I had to design my own miniaturized magazine which I produced using 3d printing. It took a lot of prototypes to get it right but now I can feed a continuous 15rps for 200+ rounds! :D

Are you using 3d printing to make your custom parts? You can pm me if you want to talk collaboration or something!

But here's the simple way of just getting something to work: use a standard hi-cappa magazine placed in the Hull and use 1/4 in ID tubing (like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/UDP-0-170-i ... /304185165) to channel the BB's from the magazine and into the chamber. That should give you a 40-80 round capacity depending on the magazine you choose.
Wow 15rps for 200+ rounds that sounds impresive for fully custom feeder:)

For me magazine is also big problem, this is why at this moment I put this project on hold until I figure out something that works. For past week I was playing with hi cap magazine from mac10 - I think its perfect size for the tank. It is around 3.5cm tall (so should fit inside tank without bigger issues), and the winding wheel will be powered by 360 servo with custom made gear. This should sort out problem with applying constant pressure on the bbs to feed them into chamber.

I used exactly same tube to connect my magazine to the chamber:).

Unfortunately I dont have access to 3d printed at this moment, thats why I looked for some partially ready made solutions like that mac 10 magazine.

Problem I encountered so far:
-bbs getting stuck in the tube (tube is kind of grippy silicone material so they dont slide inside easily)
-and the big problem: constant (auto) fire - too fast for my diy feeding system. Do you know how to force that gearbox to shot single fire ?
JamesRobertson
Recruit

Re: 1.5xFPS+10xROF Airsoft Upgrade HL Abrams

Post by JamesRobertson »

Yeah its a challenge without purpose-designed parts.

But for your problems:
- If the tube is bent too much the BBs will stick. Make sure the bends in the tube are as gradual as possible.
- The real problem is probably BBs getting stuck in the tube or transition areas. Fix the choke points and the magazine should be able to keep up with the gun.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Modern Builds”