T-72B3 2017

nexusys
Lance Corporal

T-72B3 2017

Post by nexusys »

Hi All,

I thought i share my ongoing project that has been going since early this year.
Plan is to convert T-90 to Victory Parade version of T-72B3 (2017 model)

As you know being me, i never build anything accurate. Build things based on pleasure of my eyes and to fill my free time whilst working away from home.
The accuracy probably be about 90% identical.

You can view my dodgy work on my previous project here viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23978&start=80

I would like to thank to Vitaly Kuzmin for all his superb high quality photos that i used for reference. You guys need to check his website out, tonnes of Ruskies Military assets

T-72B3

Come on guys, isnt she a sexy beast?
nexusys
Lance Corporal

Re: T-72B3 2017

Post by nexusys »

Bought T90 for $250 and i jumped straight in.

In case you wonder how the inside look like? Here. Small and quite tight in space. Noticed the ESC is positioned at the front of the hull. And it uses smaller NIMH battery compare to Chally, Abrams and Leo

I gutted the organs in no time

I applied black primer on the turret. And applied all the bits to see how it all fit.

It was great to see that T-72B3 using T-90 tiles. They fit nicely. I just need to adjust the position correctly and add necessary holes to fit the tiles

I then begin to work on the boxes you see on the side of the turret. I have no idea what's it for. I guess it is for some sort of protection and not storage box :haha:
The measurement i made were based on photo reference.

Next, additional storage box with putty all around it to seal the gaps. These boxes can be found at the back of the turret attached to the main storage box

Before i attach all of the bits, i sealed most of the gaps, holes and the lines to replicate T-72 turret and sand it.

Also if you noticed, i made the smoke grenade launcher by combining the 2 sides of the launcher from T90 into one

I then spray painted using Tamiya Nato Green the parts and put it all together. On the other side of the tiles, i ordered additional part from Hobbyraw. So that'll be about 2 weeks wait

Move on to the Slat Armor. It was painful to build this. I lay off a tape upward, so i get that sticky bit to hold the parts up, and stick it down to the mat. I left it overnight to completely dry

Cant wait to see the result, i put it on the tank and see if the sizes fit

Next, the turret cannon.
All i did was removed the stock firing system and installed Clark universal recoil. I also cut them apart from the cannon and the main turret to allow movement back and forth when firing.
I re-made the ring around the cannon

I figured, to stop it from bouncing when you drive the tank, i attached it to the lower turret. I drilled holes so that i can screw in and add washers to allow the turret to freely move. The tighter you screw in, less bouncing.

Next the antenna's RED light district. Nope didnt come one with T90 Heng Long. So i made one. Using bit of styrene, putty and sanding i managed to build one.

Sorry the picture here is a bit blurry. I added SME RED LED into it, so it will light up.

I also modified the wind sensor on the turret to match T-72B3. I didnt have the photo, but if i remember i'll attach it here.

Several weeks later, i finally received the parts i ordered from HobbyRaw and work on it. Putty the holes, sand it and spray it. i added smaller tile closer to turret if you can see the awkward size ones by cutting on spare tiles i have.

I forgot to mention that i modified the TPD-K1 sight to match T-72B3. TPD-K1 sight is the part where you use viewfinder to view outside the turret. You know what i mean :haha:

To be continued....

Thanks for watching
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Excellent start, go on go on! :-)

Always loved the T-72!
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very nice I like this. Following along
Tanks alot.... :wave:
nexusys
Lance Corporal

Post by nexusys »

I started working on the skirting bit. The part consists of styrene and thin rubber cut into size.

Then added the details. All those small pieces were hard work i tell ya.

Next, the exhaust vent made out of brass

I sat and stared at the tank turret. I thought the boxes were a bit too oversized

Took me several days to convince my self about the mistake. I decided to re-make them again. This time slightly smaller

Noticed theres a long line hoping to cut it. But naaaa too mess.

Now it look sooooo much better

Moving on, was working on slat armor for the rear and both side of the hull. Having super sharp knife made my job million times easier.

nexusys
Lance Corporal

Post by nexusys »

Done! Looks AWESOME! its not yet glued to the body. Just holding the slats with tapes

Note i repainted the tanks to the closest colour to the new Russian paint.

Made a set of custom slat armor mount

And modified the headlight

Aaaannnd the log made out of styrene. Grinded using dremel to get the rough long tree texture like, and sand it

The result

Im getting there, just need a bit of light weathering, some little detailing, decals and electronic bits.

Still more to come :crazy:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

God Thats nice........................ :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Looking good! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
nexusys
Lance Corporal

Post by nexusys »

HERMAN BIX wrote:God Thats nice........................ :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
BarryC wrote:Looking good! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
Thanks Herman, and Thanks Barry :thumbup:

Return to “Modern Builds”