T-90 as a fictional IDF instruction tank

Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

T-90 as a fictional IDF instruction tank

Post by Jay-Em »

Here a first look at a WIP.

I recently bought 2 rather expensive SOL resin figures of female IDF tankers. I already had the T-90, so my splielerish ( toy obsessed.. :P ) mind immediately thought of a -fictional- Tiran-9 in the guise of an instruction tank. I know, I know. Tiran only went to Tiran-6 or something, but just let me indulge myself. As with my fake Afrika Korps Bulldog, I am not really into rivet-counting. I just build what I like. Other people are far better in the rivet-counting departement.

At first I just had the figure sitting in the hatch, but then I ran into a couple of quite detailed pictures of the big, steel instructor-seats the IDF uses. And, since women are -currently- only allowed as instructors on tanks, the rest was easy.

The figure temporarily in the seat, just to see if the dimensions made sense. As of now, I only built and painted one. The next will follow if the instructor seat is complete. (By the by, antennas are 1mm (I believe) carbon fibre rod with some shrink-tube to simulate the connecting sleeves. Super strong, and already black. I Love that stuff! )

Here the figure with her leg re-attached. I -at first- had her just sitting in the hatch, wich needed some serious cutting & fitting. Hence the un-painted putty-filled leg :haha:

And here the back of the seat. For now it just rests in pins in the hatch. I have to think of some logic way to attach and support the rear.

Material is 1.5 mm styrene sheet, some aluminium and brass pipes, a very effective, hard and strong plastics glue called "Ruderer L530", and a lot of superglue.

That's it for now. Weekend is at its end, so a week of working for the money ahead. Not a whole lot of time for fiddling with my tanks, sadly.
Met5
Corporal

Re: T-90 as a fictional IDF instruction tank

Post by Met5 »

Wonderful!
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

I like it, cool what if! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Nice.

Saw a couple of T?? in a convoy on the Golan Heights several years ago along with a couple of Merkava: IDF train with the neighbours equipment so it can be borrowed and they understand any quirks to help defeat them. No pics as didn't have a camera handy and pointing anything at the IDF is not recommended!
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

@RobW

Soo.. what You're actually saying, is that it isn't thàt far-fetched for the IDF to have a running T-90 at their disposal to test and train with?

It dòes seem extremely Israeli to have that. I believe there's even a story of the IDF "procuring" Not-insgnificant bunch of -quite new- T-62's in the Yom Kippur war mainly due to the original crew being unable to use the climate control because the important instructions were in russian, and the delivered tanks being the sowjet winter-type had the heaters going full-out.

The not-very-well-trained original (Egyptian? Jordanian?) crews could only stay in them for a couple of minutes, and had to bail-out when it got too hot.

Not a good thing when people are lobbing grenades at you... :wtf: Israeli's, being the ever scolarly kind, had a few russian readers among them, plopped in the tanks, read the manuals and labels, disconnected the heaters, and voilà. Extra tanks for free! Enough for several brigades (or so is said)

Maybe apocriphal, maybe true. Punny like hell, though :haha: :haha:
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

They pick up a few every now and again from the neighbours and I would assume occasionally buy some. If the T90 was on the export market they'll have some.

Apparently one of the Russian tank autoloaders required the gun to go to full elevation to work, as the IDF commanders knew this they were looking out for it to both target & know when they were reloading. As for Russian speakers, last time I was there apparently they were having to create Russian only units as some of the more recent arrivals didn't speak Hebrew.
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Had a bit of spare time this morning, so I added some minor details. Those typical handlebars among other gubbins.

Different view:

Small stuff. But it does add to that specific look. It's all I had time for, since there is a second project being airbrushed. So, in-between layers drying, I took the opportunity to fiddle with the Instructor Seat.

(Peek at second project. Far from ready. In due time it'll get its own thread) :

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Love the concept of the IDF T-90 mate, very plausible !

And as for the H/L KT, yes, I remember mine well................honestly one of the better offerings from a couple of years back.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Love the concept of the IDF T-90 mate, very plausible !

And as for the H/L KT, yes, I remember mine well................honestly one of the better offerings from a couple of years back.
Indeed. And with the new gen-4, 2.4ghz controllers with the 2 sounds and proportional everything, the KT got a whole new lease of life. The new speakers are -though rather diminutive in stature- quite good also. The deep growl of the Leopard engine sounds come through vèry well. Tiger 1 sound is -apart from the exellent cranking start, and shut-down, still too "rattly" shrill and harsh, sadly. Even Visatons cannot fix that.

I prefer the Leopard sounds, though the unloading of the turbo sounds a bit odd in a KönigsTiger.. :P
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Wooops.. Wifi acting-up.. doubleposts...

Return to “Modern Builds”