HL M1A1 Aussie version...

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: HL M1A1 Aussie version...

Post by BarryC »

Hi Bruce,

The Idlers that come with the Idler/Road Wheel set will not work with the HennTech track tensioner. It has to do with the axle is designed to fit the HL bushing not the bearing that come in the wheels in the set. I found out the hard way.

You will need this set of idlers, they come painted and without hubs covers.
http://tankarmy.com/heng-long-tank/prod ... cg88phjpi3

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

BarryC wrote:Hi Bruce,

The Idlers that come with the Idler/Road Wheel set will not work with the HennTech track tensioner. It has to do with the axle is designed to fit the HL bushing not the bearing that come in the wheels in the set. I found out the hard way.

You will need this set of idlers, they come painted and without hubs covers.
http://tankarmy.com/heng-long-tank/prod ... cg88phjpi3

Barry
G'day mate!

Hmmm aren't there two types? one for bushed wheels and one for ones with bearings?? ;) ;)

https://www.rctank.de/HQ-M1A2-Abrams-Tr ... Mato-Idler

Bruce
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Bruce,

I purchased the set that Tank Army had at the time Jan. 2016 which was the "old" style Sprockets and a set of Idlers with bearings.
I purchased the same HennTech tensioner shown on the RC Tank.de site from Rc Tank.de.
When I went to install the tensioner the bearing that came with it would not fit the Idler wheels and the axle of the tensioner would not work with the bearing in the idler wheels.
So maybe something has changed with the metal sprockets and idlers I purchased or HennTech has changed.

I know I tried every way possible to use the idlers with the tensioner and there was no way to make them work. :crazy:

Cheers,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

G'day Barry,

Thanks for the heads up! I will add the other idlers to my shopping list!!

Cheers Bruce
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

ordered roadwheels n suspension/Idlers/sprockets....figured I better before get any more bills.... >:< >:< >:<

Gearbox's, track tensioners and rear sprocket brackets will get ordered in about 4 weeks unless I win lotto 8) 8) 8) 8)

Bruce
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

cut up a couple of the original roadwheels today to use as spares on racks. Drilling out the bolt holes was a bit rough but looks ok... :shh:

Was going to attach them to the racks on turret sides but ended up attaching them to the ends of the rear bustle rack with a very small cable tie (thru the handy slot in rear rack end!)

here's a pic...
Attachments
roadwheel spare1.JPG
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Looks good Bruce! :thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

BarryC wrote:Looks good Bruce! :thumbup:

Barry
Cheers Mate!!

Off sick today with chest cold, but got presents from the postie! Roadwheel's,two sets of idlers..., sprockets and suspension turned up from tankarmy :thumbup: :thumbup:

So I set about taking the suspension arms off the roadwheels and the masked up the rubber parts and axle ends. Painted 3 wheels tan just to be different (most Ozzie tanks have all green wheels from the pics I have).

Will fit em' to hull on weekend.....definitely a lot heavier than the plastic wheels!! each plastic wheel and suspension arm weighs 16grams the metal ones are 84grams!! over 1.184kgs!!

Question!! is there a particular order/method to fitting the suspension/springs that makes it easier?? and do you grease the bearings or just some light machine oil??

Bruce
Attachments
newroadwheels2.JPG
newroadwheels1.JPG
newroadwheels.JPG
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Did a test fit of the metal roadwheels, sprockets and idlers tonight, certainly adds a bit of weight to the beast! (just over 1kg actually 8O 8O ).

Won't be doing much else for a bit till I find some spare $$$$ l :haha:

Bruce
Attachments
rear rack is just chocked in place with the offcut from one of the plastic roadwheels...
rear rack is just chocked in place with the offcut from one of the plastic roadwheels...
metalroadwh4.JPG
going to swap the tan wheels fwd one spot each so they match the camo on the skirt...
going to swap the tan wheels fwd one spot each so they match the camo on the skirt...
metalroadwh2.JPG
metalroadwh1.JPG
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Looking good there Bruce!
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”