HL M1A1 Aussie version...

HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

HL M1A1 Aussie version...

Post by HvyCgn9 »

G'day All,

Started pulling my M1A2 apart last week to see about getting the BB unit to function and as with all strip downs like this decided it was time for the beast to get painted up as an Australian Army M1A1 AIM SA in the AUSCAM camo our Defense force uses. The beast will not be based on any particular tank from my research pix...

Once I had it apart had a go at getting the airsoft unit to work but nothing appears to be happening I will order a new unit from Tankarmy when I order the roadwheels,etc. Having given up on the bb unit I started drawing all over the hull and turret with a lead pencil marking out the camo scheme, after about 3 hours drawing lines (and redoin em when I wasn't happy!!).

Next evening after work started masking up the hull for the olive drab. (I got a big rattle can of it and Black from the paint supply place up the road, they are Rustolem brand and come up nice) Used a trick a had seen elsewhere to mask up the hull using bluetack to do the edges then masking tape to cover the rest (see pixs). Over the next days I worked my way thru the hull and turret painting the all the green first then did the black.

Very happy with the result now it looks like one of our Tanks!! I was going to reassemble it but decided to gather all the upgrades for it first rather than having to strip it down again later. I will be pulling the gearbox's out next and degreasing the inner hull then I will put in some styrene plating as I have seen others do to blank off some of the holes that can let dust and water in (I like to drive in all conditions so I want to make the hull reasonably sealed) and will being adding some ballast wt so I will be adding some cross bracing too...

Cheers Bruce
Attachments
DSCN4013a.JPG
Started masking up for the olive drab
Started masking up for the olive drab
cut off the back sprocket cover as our ones run without em'
cut off the back sprocket cover as our ones run without em'
DSCN4010a.JPG
DSCN4009a.JPG
DSCN4008a.JPG
DSCN4002a.JPG
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Re: HL M1A1 Aussie version...

Post by HvyCgn9 »

part 2

more pix...

Have just finished painting he turret fittings (side racks, smoke dischargers, etc) haven't done the rear rack yet as I want to add the extended section first.

painted a couple of the original road wheels green so I can cut em in half later as parts stowage on the turret.

Cheers Bruce
Attachments
black done on rear panel just need to do the green
black done on rear panel just need to do the green
DSCN4040a.JPG
barrel done
barrel done
turret done
turret done
DSCN4032a.JPG
black on the hull done
black on the hull done
masking the black on the turret
masking the black on the turret
DSCN4028a.JPG
DSCN4024a.JPG
painting the turret
painting the turret
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Bruce, Welcome to the "Abrams Club".

Great start, cammo looks great!

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Thanks mate!

Its actually my second one I had a Hobby engine one but got rid of it as its rubbish!! There are a couple if things I dislike about the HL version 1/ its got the wrong engine sounds (how hard is it for em to load a proper gas turbine start up on !!) and 2/ its so sloooooowww..... I remember seeing a Tamiya leopard1 back in the mid 80's and it was sweet as !! Good speed, metal tracks....but Tamiya have always led the way pretty much in rc tanking!!

Going to get the UltimateII g/box's from Tankarmy once some big bills are out of the way......

EDIT: I have another rc M1A1 too a 1/72 Dragon microXtech one! I need to fix s the nimh battery in it is kaput.....!!

Some pix of the 1/16 with the 1/72 alongside, the Biggun has its side racks, and other bits added.

Cheers Bruce

Ps I was reading your build last night and will be borrowing afew ideas mate!
Attachments
DSCN4045a1.JPG
DSCN4044a.JPG
DSCN4043a.JPG
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Made up the rear rack extension from some leftover evergreen styrene bits out of the scraps box, used some flyscreen mesh for the mesh. Hardest bit was finding enough rod the right size for doing the railing.... 8O 8O

4 and a bit hours later and its nearly done, just the little extensions on the sides to make up.

here are some pix during construction..

Bruce
Attachments
side railing added
side railing added
railing started
railing started
mesh on
mesh on
rear rack ext7.JPG
rear rack ext6.JPG
rear rack ext5.JPG
bit of C channel added across back of rack extension
bit of C channel added across back of rack extension
test fit
test fit
groove in to locate end bracket
groove in to locate end bracket
filed grooves in the end brackets to hook on to existing rack
filed grooves in the end brackets to hook on to existing rack
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Good progress mate, going to look a treat.
For what its worth, Bunnings have rolls of brass fly screen.
The stuff is expensive, but its huge and will last a normal man a lifetime.
It solders and holds form very well.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Actually nearly went up to Bunnings when I knocked off from work....but then I got sidetracked!! ;) ;)

Will have a look next time I'm in there,I've got some brass mesh for my ship building but its much to fine for the tank, also have some stainless steel TERMI mesh that a mate gave me but its also to fin a mesh for the tank.

Going to replace the HL 0.50 and 0.30 with these from Shapeways: (the 1/16 version)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P3LQZ ... d=62271464
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I used it on my T-34 build. And I have donated a fair bit of it around !
The stuff is perfect for Thoma Schurzen, but Im not going to do a Pz IV any time soon :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:I used it on my T-34 build. And I have donated a fair bit of it around !
The stuff is perfect for Thoma Schurzen, but Im not going to do a Pz IV any time soon :/
I have a Clubmate who works in the roofing industry he came across a big offcut of TERMI and spread it about to the rest of us...very useful for vents mesh in 1/72..

Just been looking over on Shapeways again.....$$$$$$$ came across a designer doing 1/16 high detail small arms o- o-

Check these out!!
0.50 cal on tripod! hmmmmm

pair of Heckler & Koch 416 HK m320 Variant IV. With HK M320 40mm grenade launcher, Magpul parts, Elcan Specter optical sight, TNV/PVS-14 Gen3 Night Vision Monocular, Aimpoint Comp M4 Red Dot Sight, SureFire MAG5-60 High Capacity Magazine, Magpul-PMAG-30-M3. @) @) @) @)

HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Although the m1a2 Tusk set is cheaper (its in the cheaper white nylon which is a more flexible) and you get 3 guns for the price!

Return to “Modern Builds”