HL M1A1 Aussie version...

HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Re: HL M1A1 Aussie version...

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Finally had some sort of spare (ish) cash for some parts from Tank Army in Melbourne. Ordered a new TX/rx version7.0, new metal sprockets with the anti slip ring, and idler axle kit which I have some ideas to make adjustable....and a set of Ultimate gearboxes without motors (works out cheaper than just getting sprocket 2 axles!) the new gearboxes will go in the tank and the old ones I will keep for spare parts.

Going to make up some stronger cross bracing out of Aluminum to stop hull twisting. Delete the battery compartment and brace floor with some Aluminum too.

I had some pix of the broken bits and the tank but phone memory card has decided it no longer wishes to talk to phone!

Bruce
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Here's a good reference pic of an Australian M1A1...

;D ;D ;D ;D
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Rob1970 wrote:Here's a good reference pic of an Australian M1A1...
I'm pretty sure all the Australian Abrams are painted in a distinctive camo scheme and that snow doesn't look like Australia.... :think:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Think you might've missed Rob's joke, mate.

B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Ah, I understand now. Living in the upside-down world I often forget the rest of the world see us like that. :crazy: Excuse me while I get on my kangaroo and ride to the shops to buy some vegemite.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

You should see how messy it is to keep all the “stuff” in our toilets !!!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

B_Man wrote:Ah, I understand now. Living in the upside-down world I often forget the rest of the world see us like that. :crazy: Excuse me while I get on my kangaroo and ride to the shops to buy some vegemite.
You're going outside? Just be careful of the wildlife...

But all jokes aside; awesome work on the Abrams. Kinda makes me want to get one... and that could be more deadly than the average Drop Bear if SWMBO finds out... ;D
HvyCgn9 wrote:Hey out there can anyone tell me what plastic the HL tanks are made of? I don't think its styrene (HIPS) as the Revell glue I normally use doesn't stick too well to it....its funny the styrene glued to the rear rack seems ok but some of the bracing used inside the hull between the existing battery compartment and hull sides just did not want to bond! Any suggestions for better glue would be great!
Bruce
HL tanks are made from ABS. ABS and Styrene don't like to bond too well too each other, but ABS to ABS.... welll that just turns solid if you use Acetone or MEK (MEK is acetone's hotter sister...). MEK (and acetone) will melt and weld the two pieces making it one solid. You can also use MEK (or again; Acetone) to make a thicker glue or even a putty. A lot of model shops still sell ABS stock in various shapes and size, and sheets in various thicknesses. And otherwise AliExpress has a few sellers selling stock material. Fun fact; real LEGO (not the knock-off stuff) is also ABS...

Some ABS recipes; https://www.matterhackers.com/news/how- ... and-slurry
Last edited by Rob1970 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

B_Man wrote:
Rob1970 wrote:Here's a good reference pic of an Australian M1A1...
I'm pretty sure all the Australian Abrams are painted in a distinctive camo scheme and that snow doesn't look like Australia.... :think:
They are now but were painted in the desert yellow colour when they first arrived up here in Darwin.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Thx for all the comments fellas!

I will post some pix of the new parts tonight after work. The tank is stripped back to just shell with wheels on and has been given a clean inside before I chop out the battery compartment. Bought some new upgraded suspension springs (cause they was cheap.....only to discover I had already bought a set ages ago!) Oh well might need to get another tank for them!

Bruce
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

This question is way off topic---wait, just what is the topic of this thread? :haha: Anyway, what is that tiny killer critter?

Return to “Modern Builds”