HL M1A1 Aussie version...

HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Re: HL M1A1 Aussie version...

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:This question is way off topic---wait, just what is the topic of this thread? :haha: Anyway, what is that tiny killer critter?
I think its a marsupial mouse one of the few harmless critters here..

Was going to do an update but my house mate has suddenly moved out leaving me with all the rent to pay next week......You could say I am slightly peeved!! Luckily it turns out my nephew and his girl are looking for somewhere....just need 2 tee it up with the landlord. The only bright side is I will get all of the shed but I'd rather have not had the stress.

Bruce
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Here's a brief update till tomorrow night!

Pics of broken axle. The new gearbox's have the steel shaft already fitted fortunately....

Bruce
Attachments
busted2.JPG
busted2.JPG (80.54 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
busted1.JPG
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thanks, Bruce: I will look up "marsupial mouse." No wonder Aussies are also famous for pasties: everything around you has pockets!

I only have a few HengLong tanks (mostly Taigen/Torro), so I did'nt know HengLong tanks had brass axles. Just last week I had to pull out and replace a steel axle from a Mato M10. On examining the axle, a machine-familiar friend says it looks as if it was cut on the lathe off-center. :-<

I prefer the Abrams in camouflage for aesthetic and peacenik reasons. (Yeah, a peacenik who likes tanks: nobody can figure me out; :crazy: I can't figure me out!) I think yours looks great!
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

The earlier version of the Ultimate II gearbox had brass axles on the sprocket for some dumb reason, The new replacement ones have the steel axles already fitted....

Thinking of using the the old Tx/5.3 board in a Bruder D10 dozer conversion......like the Meng 1/35 IDF dozer kit but ozzie version

Bruce
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

stripped the hull back and cleaned out the dirt... must get the axle supports soon too.

First up I used a dob of loctite on the new sprocket with slip rings to hold them together, left it overnight to set. Then installed the new gearboxes and the sprockets next day after work.

Then did a bit of rewiring to suit the 7.0 mfu, wired up motors, new battery lead (temporary till I get a lipo with an xt60 plug) and did a test run with the 12v Nimh pack that normally powers my USS Seawolf SSN21.....goes like a rocket on 12v and the GT engine startup is great!! need to swap the battery leads over as fwd on stick is backwards and rev is fwds!! This is just a test setup for now before I chop out the battery box and reinforce lower hull with some 2mm Aluminum plate and replace the plastic X bracing with some 3mm Aluminum bits (might get a pre cut bracing kit of ebay).

Also on the to do list is fit the new solid idler axle, the metal track support rollers and add a link back into each track to reduce tension as the first road wheel is being pulled up by the tight track.

I still need the correct plugs to hook up turret elevation, bb firing and the headlights/tail lights....might add indicators later

here are some pics...
Attachments
m1a1 elec update1.JPG
upgrade parts.JPG
upgrade parts.JPG (91.17 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
tk7.0 update1.JPG
tk7.0 update1.JPG (92.92 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
m1a1 new gbox1.JPG
m1a1 new gbox1.JPG (93.88 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
m1a1 hull cleanout.JPG
new gearboxs.JPG
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

HvyCgn9 wrote: ...need to swap the battery leads over as fwd on stick is backwards and rev is fwds!!
Please don't do this. Replacing the battery polarity will end the life of your MFU. You just have to swap the ESC motor power cables ( plus and minus ).
Here you have it exactly described:
viewtopic.php?f=201&t=30903&start=20

download/file.php?id=91744&mode=view

And if there are still wrong directions - swap the motor wires from MFU to motors (M1 motor to M2 MFU etc.)
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

abramsky wrote:
HvyCgn9 wrote: ...need to swap the battery leads over as fwd on stick is backwards and rev is fwds!!
Please don't do this. Replacing the battery polarity will end the life of your MFU. You just have to swap the ESC motor power cables ( plus and minus ).
Here you have it exactly described:
viewtopic.php?f=201&t=30903&start=20

download/file.php?id=91744&mode=view

And if there are still wrong directions - swap the motor wires from MFU to motors (M1 motor to M2 MFU etc.)
Thanks Mate!! I mean't swap motor leads over in my head but my fingers typed battery!! I will get some correct plugs and finish setting this up next week

Having some housemate dramas at the moment (he has moved out and left me with his back rent to pay.....POS) only good thing is with him gone all the 12m x7m shed is MINE!!!!!!!!!!!! a massive HO modular layout is being planned......lol
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

HvyCgn9 wrote:Having some housemate dramas at the moment (he has moved out and left me with his back rent to pay.....POS) only good thing is with him gone all the 12m x7m shed is MINE!!!!!!!!!!!! a massive HO modular layout is being planned......lol
Sic one of those drop bears on 'im, that'll teach the POS. And congrats on the new tank depot. Yes, I did see the whole HO modular layout planning. But you're gonna need the space for tanks... I keep telling myself any new space in the house is for stuff other than tanks. But they are insidious things that sneak into every space available. ;D
..add a link back into each track to reduce tension as the first road wheel is being pulled up by the tight track.
Make sure you check if that's also the case with the tank "fully loaded", a.i. with the top and everything on. Depressing all the road wheels with the full kit might make the difference. My Sherman also pull up the first road wheel when going topless.

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Sic one of those drop bears on 'im, that'll teach the POS. And congrats on the new tank depot. Yes, I did see the whole HO modular layout planning. But you're gonna need the space for tanks... I keep telling myself any new space in the house is for stuff other than tanks. But they are insidious things that sneak into every space available. ;D

my side of the shed currently has my 1/72 Rc ships in it....2x USN CGNs, 1 LHA, 2x SSNs,a Burke DDG a RN type23 frigate, plus a mates HMAS Brisbane DDG41 and several hulls for future builds!!(see pic) Tanks are just for fun....
..add a link back into each track to reduce tension as the first road wheel is being pulled up by the tight track.
Make sure you check if that's also the case with the tank "fully loaded", a.i. with the top and everything on. Depressing all the road wheels with the full kit might make the difference. My Sherman also pull up the first road wheel when going topless.
TTFN,
Rob[/quote]

Yeah mine does it even with top plus extra weight in it so I will add a link back each side. At the moment there is absolutely no slop at all.

Cheers Bruce
Attachments
bench shuffle2.JPG
bench shuffle1.JPG
HvyCgn9
Lance Corporal

Post by HvyCgn9 »

Been messing about today trying to get the 7.0 wiring for BB unit working.....cannot get it to fire if it is plugged into the correct channel (CN10) if I plug it into cn12 (smoker) and hit the smoke button on Tx it will repeat fire until button hit again. Not sure what is going on.

Got turret elevation sorted just needed to change plugs

Bruce

Return to “Modern Builds”