M1A2 Video Build Log

Max-U52
Lieutenant

M1A2 Video Build Log

Post by Max-U52 »

Hi Guys. I've been experimenting with a slightly different format for build logs so I'd like to see what y'all think about it.

With the standard format for build logs a guy will start a project and start a thread, put up pictures and talk about things as they progress and eventually you get to the finished product and the end of the thread. This log will be a bit different in that I'll be starting with a video of the finished tank that tells you everything that's been done to it, and this is followed by the build itself, broken down into sections (lower hull, paint, etc). This way you can see the finished tank right up front and if any of the stuff that's been done to it appeals to you it's easy to find in the videos and you can just skip to that section and not waste time on stuff you have no use for. For example, if all you're interested in is how I braced the lower hull, that can be found at the beginning of the "Lower Hull" video. If all you want to see is how to apply dry transfers you can skip ahead to the end of the paint video. See where I'm goin' with this? Anyway, even if this format turns out to be a complete flop and everybody hates it, at least it was something different for a change. And if this format meets the approval of my fellow forum members I have another on the P3 I can post, and I'll do them like this in the future.

So anyway, here we go, starting with the intro video that shows the finished tank (well, almost finished, I still have to do the armored glass, and for that I'll revert back to the traditional format and post a video later at the end so I can get advice on armored glass. I have some ideas that may work well, but that's for later on.) Right now, the M1A2 Abrams in tri-color NATO paint.

phpBB [video]

This is the preview video that shows all the components that will be used. This video has been posted before, but I want to have them all in the same place so I'm including it here

phpBB [video]

The Lower Hull

phpBB [video]

And the Paint

phpBB [video]

I'll do another video about armored glass and then probably one last entry when the tank is completely finished. I hope someone may find this useful, and constructive criticism is always welcome. Anything that can make me better at this is always appreciated. Hope that helps, See Ya Next Time.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: M1A2 Video Build Log

Post by greengiant »

Can't really tell for sure but did you add the anti slip surface to the hull and turret your build?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

As the old saying goes, Gary, 'Variety is the spice of life..' and so why not start at the and, work your way through to the beginning..a bit like Benjamin Button would have if he'd built 'Fury' :lolno: :lolno: Besides, I always liked the backwards bits in Beatles' songs :thumbup: :thumbup: I'm sure it'll be an interesting retro journey...a 'my Back Pages' moment, to borrow from Dylan. Although personally, I'm not as interested in modern tanks as much as the old WW1 and WW2 clankers....
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

greengiant wrote:Can't really tell for sure but did you add the anti slip surface to the hull and turret your build?
No anti-slip. I was trying to keep everything as simple as possible. I still have a lot more details to work on, like the machine guns, the periscopes, and the stowage.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:As the old saying goes, Gary, 'Variety is the spice of life..' and so why not start at the and, work your way through to the beginning..a bit like Benjamin Button would have if he'd built 'Fury' :lolno: :lolno: Besides, I always liked the backwards bits in Beatles' songs :thumbup: :thumbup: I'm sure it'll be an interesting retro journey...a 'my Back Pages' moment, to borrow from Dylan. Although personally, I'm not as interested in modern tanks as much as the old WW1 and WW2 clankers....

Did you see the build log I did for the P3? That had the same format but it was all one long video and that was when I decided it would be better to break it down into sections. But, just like this video, if all you want to see is the finished tank that's all within the first few minutes of the video.
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

Nice post and video's

thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Gary, Knowing how good your Video's/Builds are means that as long as I know they are somewhere on the Forum I shall just keep looking until I find them, and as to you being crazy, well of course you are it's a prerequisite of membership of the Forum,
A nice build and a great narration,
Thank you.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

jarndice wrote:Gary, Knowing how good your Video's/Builds are means that as long as I know they are somewhere on the Forum I shall just keep looking until I find them, and as to you being crazy, well of course you are it's a prerequisite of membership of the Forum,
A nice build and a great narration,
Thank you.
Shaun.

You have to be crazy to be an RC Tanker. A normal person would go insane! :haha: :haha: @) @) :crazy: :crazy:

:wave:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Sane people spend their money on boring things, I'd rather buy tanks.

I like this approach to a build log, and being able to see how it all comes together bit by bit certainly makes it all the more tangible and enjoyable. It's great being able to see exactly how something like the track tensioner comes together, for instance.
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

I really enjoy your videos Gary, they are helpful and fun :thumbup: i have your YouTube channel bookmarked, it's a super helpful reference :thumbup:
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther

Return to “Modern Builds”