Quick T90 Project

Tankbear
Lieutenant

Quick T90 Project

Post by Tankbear »

I picked this T90 up from Del last week.

It is the pro version with metal tracks, idlers, sprockets and gearboxes. Del has already gun metal etched the tracks so are a nice matt black and also installed a Clark servo recoil.

First job I did was to fit IBU3 and LED flash.

Next the plastic road wheels. I don’t like them so I had a go at 3D printing some rubber over sheath for the tyres using Ninjaflex.

I’m not happy with the result. I think would need to shave a lot fo the plastic away and add a good few mm thick of Ninjaflex to get a decent tyre effect. And do this 24 times for all the wheels so I might think about that as a lot of work.

That’s all I’ve done so far.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: Quick T90 Project

Post by Tankbear »

Some progress

Used the RCTE airsoft to servo elevation kit to convert the already installed recoil unit to servo traverse. Because the turret is quite shallow I found I could get away with directly gluing the servo to the airsoft chute.

phpBB [video]

Next servo traverse. Again using the RCTE 3D Printed stuff had a custom pinion printed (30 Tooth but double height) as I plan to secure the 360 servo in the hull rather than the lid.

phpBB [video]

I haven’t converted the turret ring to 360 as I plan to replace it with the DKLM metal version complete with ball bearings. And whilst I was in discussion with DKLM I also order metal road wheels c/w ball bearings and rubber tyres, PDSGB mounting bracket (will use the gearbox from my Leo 2)

With all that ordered I decided to check the special limits of fitting it all inside the tank!

Total removal of the battery box looks only way forward and then a custom made speaker box in the middle and custom space for battery, IBU3, Servo. I did fancy a TARR smoker as well but doesn’t look like will be room at this stage.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

after some patience I managed to to cut out the engine grills with lots of passes with a sharp knife.

Battery box removed

On Saturday post man delivered parts :D so the build can carry on.

Gearbox first, the PDSGB mounting plate doesn't directly into the plastic chassis. So on with the 3D design and printing :P

Axle bush

On my challenger 2 I like the track horn guide which holds the track on the drive sprocket so was going to print some for the T90 but it already had a system so a job saved.

With the axle set in the bushes I could create a base for the gearbox plate to secure too.

Next the turret ring. Here I went for DKLM metal and ball race version, however either a quirk of the T90 turret or simple manufacturing error the ring needs turning 180 degrees to fit, meaning the fixing holes are in the wrong place. I decided to mount with m3 nuts and bolts.

Problem is I wont be able to hold the nuts when undoing the bolts. I found 3D printer to the rescue again, printed a cap for the nuts and glued over them to hold in place.

Next road wheels, and glad to say changing them over to the metal DKLM ones is easy.

Even got authentic damaged rims :silent:

Another idea on internal arrangement so again another trial fit.

Happy with arrangement, I proceed with a custom shaped speaker box. This as well as helping with sound will add structural strength and hold the traverse servo in place.

www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mr Tankbear that is truly a work of art. I've always been a fan of those who have the skill and patience to make and create the "working space" inside these beasts to be as beautiful and functional as the outside!!

Super job

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Bahrien
Recruit

Post by Bahrien »

Wow...what i need in my t90 build...can i buy the speakerbox?

Return to “Modern Builds”