M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: HL M1A1 HA Build - Elevation Servo mounting,QUESTION!

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I'm sure you will have checked this out anyway, but the actual range of elevation is -9 to +20 degrees. Looking at your photos, I would have thought your maximum is about right. Please excuse me if I'm interfering or trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

MichaelC wrote:Okay Perfect. My main radio is 9XR Pro. Which channel is the elevation servo map to right now ? Did you get your 9XR Pro from RCTA ? It has ER9X installed on it already if that's the case. If you can send me the initial screen with the servo max out then I can tell you how to adjust it for more travel.
Hi Michael,

Yes, I purchased my 9XR from RCTA and it has the ER9X installed. The one thing I am dissatisfied with is the TOTAL lack of ant type of instructions with the radio. I am not sure how one is expected to use it without having someone who has "figured" it out explain it. Unfortunately I have no one local to me that I am aware of with the expertise to instruct me. :thumbdown:

Though I have experience with RC gear it dates back more than 30 years and there was no software it was just transmitter and receiver with servos connected to the receiver. I am not knocking the radio or software in any way I think it is awesome but i would like some instructions to work with. I have been in aviation electronics for 45 years and with the proper instruction can figure out "most" things electronic. It is like the iPhone that comes with no instructions but at least you can go on line and download them!

I will shoot a couple of shots of the screen(s) I am seeing.

Thanks again for your assistance I really appreciate it.
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

silversurfer1947 wrote:I'm sure you will have checked this out anyway, but the actual range of elevation is -9 to +20 degrees. Looking at your photos, I would have thought your maximum is about right. Please excuse me if I'm interfering or trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs.
No sir, your comments and information are most welcome, thank you! "Half of being smart is knowing what you do not know and accepting the advice of those who do" :thumbup:

I am happy with the mechanical limits of the elevation range but trying to get the servos to achieve the positive elevation limit and recoil retraction limit is what I am struggling with.

Cheers,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Barry,

I know the RCTA set-up pretty well so can definitely help you out. Send me your private email address on PM and I will send you the documentation that is available on Turnigy 9XR Pro and also ER9X. They are too big to post here.

Michael.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

MichaelC wrote:Barry,

I know the RCTA set-up pretty well so can definitely help you out. Send me your private email address on PM and I will send you the documentation that is available on Turnigy 9XR Pro and also ER9X. They are too big to post here.

Michael.
Documents received, Thanks a million Michael! :thumbup:

Starting to feel my way around the transmitter and getting acquainted with all the "newfangled" bells and whistles. Now I know why there is a display would be impossible without one!

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Time for another update. I finally schemed a way to mount the elevation servo allowing it to be removed using only one removable screw.

First pass at the turret traversing servo mounting.

Photos no longer relevant, superseded by final configuration.

Thanks for looking in!
Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonardo Da Vinci
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: HL M1A1 HA Build - Elevation & Traversing Servo updates

Post by MichaelC »

Barry,

Positioning the servo on the lower hull was tricky. I ended up putting the upper on with the turret cog ring loose and no turret, then hot glue the position of the cog ring to the lower hull, then lift the upper hull and now you have the position of the cog ring relative to the lower and you can then mount the servo accordingly.

Love your elevation servo mount idea.

MichaelC.
Uncarina
Lance Corporal

Post by Uncarina »

Barry,

Great progress! Your interior work is inspiring.

Cheers, Tom
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Short update, Traversing Servo mounting.

I have created a "stand alone" servo tray this way I can position it fore and aft while maintaining the proper height to mesh with the ring gear. Once I set the proper location I will either attach with screws up through the hull floor or the the side wall. If I come up through the floor I will have to place load bearing blocks along the vertical walls at the hull side to handle the "push & pull" loads placed on the servo gear to prevent it from jumping out.

Photos removed as they are no longer representative of the final configuration.

Thoughts or suggestion most welcomed!

Thanks for looking in,
Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: HL M1A1 HA Build - Traversing Servo update 2/21

Post by BarryC »

Thanks Michael and Tom for the kind words!

You are right Michael, the positioning was a little tricky! I established a line that referenced the aft edge of the turret ring gear then with a little educated guessing I found the "sweet" spot.
The use of the servo mounting tray made positioning much easier that trying to move the servo while maintaining proper height.

Thanks,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”