• Advertisement
Welsh Dragon Models

M1A1HA, 10/16 Update; Rivets and Bolts FINISHED!!!!!!

Postby BarryC » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:40 am

Well I had originally thought I wanted to build a A2 SEP V2 but after studying many photos in the Tankograd M1A1/M1A2 SEP TUSK and M1A2 SEP V2 publications I think I really like the look of the M1A1 HA with TUSK I like this..

Photos are from the Tankograd publication and are posted under the "Fair use Act" for instructional purposes only.

I really like the NATO Camo with the contrasting TUSK I elements.

I am starting with the drive train then electronics followed by the modeling elements of the conversion. I will install all metal drive components as well as new Ultimate II Gearboxes. I will also install the main drive axles supports and Henntec Track Tensioner.

I am looking forward to the challenge but looking at all the awesome builds here I know I can get plenty of "qualified" guidance needed!!!

Thanks for looking,
Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 99 times in total.
BarryC
Sergeant

Postby ALPHA » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:26 am

Looks like a very interesting build...Nice research Photos....Going to enjoy watching your build :thumbup:

ALPHA

ALPHA
Major-General

Postby Uncarina » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:44 am

Barry,

Great intro! I am looking forward to watching you work your magic!

Cheers, Tom

Uncarina
Lance Corporal

Postby BarryC » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks Alpha, Tom and Paul!

Tom, I am still "blaming" you.. :haha: .. for getting me started!!! Looks like I am going to be following your lead on the TC cupola with the addition of the 360 degree commanders shield as used on some of the TUSK I installations.

Paul, I have read both your Challenger build here as well as your Abrams build over on the Scale Tank World site. I really like the video with the sound system, very cool!

The build will progress slowly as it is but one of too many I have going on.

Barry
BarryC
Sergeant

Postby MichaelC » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:46 pm

TUSK......... That would be the reason I would get an Abram. Watching with much interest Barry ! Especially the cupola........ :-)
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Postby BarryC » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:15 pm

MichaelC wrote: Especially the cupola........ :-)

Should prove to be challenging but fun Michael. I thought about TUSK II but then considered finishing it in this lifetime!

Barry
BarryC
Sergeant

Postby MichaelC » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:15 am

OMG the TUSK II cupola......... I am not too thrill with the "shoe holder" side armour though. TUSK side armour and TUSK II cupola. That would be something else.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Postby greengiant » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Like the look of the mixed camo and sand parts also. Will be looking forward to seeing the build progress.
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby BarryC » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:35 pm

Michael, Greengiant,

Studying the Tankograd M1A1/M1A2 SEP Abrams Tusk publication the TC's Cupola armor is not exactly the same as installed on the TUSK II. It has the left and right side pieces with armored glass and short angled "wings" for stability but not the rear piece. Apparently the TC's hatch serves as the rear protection device.There is also a piece installed between the TC and Loader's position with armored glass and expanded metal. This piece is hinged and folds forward and down so I am guessing the metal "grate" is to protect it from damage when stepped on. I am thinking about making all the TC and Loaders armor panels out of sheet brass to make them sturdy enough. I will also have to make them easy to remove for maintenance inside the upper turret.

The TUSK I side armor should not be a big deal, my plan is to fab and detail a couple of vertical tile pairs then have a good friend in the casting business replicate the 32 pairs needed. I will do the same for the mounting brackets used to secure the tile sets. The front and rear "bumpers" will be fabricated out of brass sheet.

I really need a good photo of the complete mounting system without the tiles in place if someone has such a photo please contact me!

I am thinking about using brass as well for the CS/AMM 50 cal. mounted on the main gun mantel because it will be in a very exposed location and easily damaged. I will likely pin the CS/AMM and TC's 50 cals. so they re removable. The Loader's Armored Gun Shield (LAGS) and weapon will be removable as an assembly for maintenance.

Like modeling most military subjects I will select a particular tank for detailing. Right now it will either be "Bad Blessing" or "Bad Influence", B Company, 1st Battalion, 35th Armor Regiment, Iraq 2008. Both have NATO camo with desert sand colored TUSK Mod components.

Cheers,
Barry
BarryC
Sergeant

Postby AlwynTurner » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi Barry, this was my conversion of a Hobby Engine M1A1 which I did - I used balsa wood for the side armor and covered it with small styrene panels. The worst job was the bolt heads - 256 of the flaming things!
I didn't do the automated gun on the turret roof, might add that later together with a decent paint job. I didn't want to spend much time on it as it was a cheap spares/repair tank that I converted to HL electronics and just wanted to see how far I could get without spending bug bucks.

While doing my build I found this and it was really useful with lots of photos - maybe something useful there for you
http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/jeff_d ... php?Page=1

Good luck with your build and will be following along. :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave: Alwyn
AlwynTurner

Postby BarryC » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:36 pm

[quote="AlwynTurner"]Hi Barry, this was my conversion of a Hobby Engine M1A1 which I did - I used balsa wood for the side armor and covered it with small styrene panels. The worst job was the bolt heads - 256 of the flaming things!

Alwyn,

The 256 bolts and the fact the the tiles are all the same makes casting copies the way to go IMO. If I can make a good master with say 4 to 6 tile without it becoming too large I may go that route. I will need to consult my caster for advice as to how large a pattern I can safely create.

I have used Prime Portal for many years build aircraft models but only recently for armor. I will have another look see.

Thanks,
Barry
BarryC
Sergeant

Postby AlwynTurner » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:05 pm

Hi Barry, from an effort point of you yes I'm sure the casting will be the answer. Being a pensioner with a tight (spouse imposed) budget I'm always looking for the lowest-cost option so it's much cheaper but incredibly tedious to do the way I did it. Good luck with the build and I'm following along. :wave: :thumbup: Alwyn
AlwynTurner

Postby BarryC » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi folks,

I have a question about barrel recoil on the Abrams as it relates to the Clark Recoil unit. How much in either inches or mm should the barrel recoil measured from the mantel? Right now with the recoil unit installed and the barrel free to retract it is about 0.5"; is that about right? From viewing videos of the real tank it does not appear to have a lot of displacement and is a very quick cycle.

Also with all the splendid help from MichaelC, Ian, Kevin at RCTA and Thomas at ElMod I have just about decided which control board to use. I will be making my choice soon, leaning toward the ElMod.

Thanks to all for the help and guidance, I am certain I will have more questions.
:clap: :thumbup: :D

Barry
BarryC
Sergeant

Postby Uncarina » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:07 pm

Barry,

Looking forward to seeing this come together! I will be following your lead with the internal mods.

Cheers, Tom

Uncarina
Lance Corporal

Postby atcttge » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:12 am

BarryC wrote:Hi folks,

I have a question about barrel recoil on the Abrams as it relates to the Clark Recoil unit. How much in either inches or mm should the barrel recoil measured from the mantel? Right now with the recoil unit installed and the barrel free to retract it is about 0.5"; is that about right? From viewing videos of the real tank it does not appear to have a lot of displacement and is a very quick cycle.

Also with all the splendid help from MichaelC, Ian, Kevin at RCTA and Thomas at ElMod I have just about decided which control board to use. I will be making my choice soon, leaning toward the ElMod.

Thanks to all for the help and guidance, I am certain I will have more questions.
:clap: :thumbup: :D

Barry

From: http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/weapon/M256.html

"The gun tube, breech, and piston recoil approximately 11 inches (279 mm) during firing. The gun recoils about 1.5 inches (38 mm) before the projectile leaves the gun tube."

So total recoil travel is 11 inches. Round is out by the time the gun has recoiled by 1.5 inches.

11" = 279.4mm

279.4mm/16 = 17.4625mm travel in 1/16 scale.
atcttge
Sergeant

Postby ALPHA » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:00 am

AlwynTurner wrote:Hi Barry, this was my conversion of a Hobby Engine M1A1 which I did - I used balsa wood for the side armor and covered it with small styrene panels. The worst job was the bolt heads - 256 of the flaming things!
I didn't do the automated gun on the turret roof, might add that later together with a decent paint job. I didn't want to spend much time on it as it was a cheap spares/repair tank that I converted to HL electronics and just wanted to see how far I could get without spending bug bucks.

While doing my build I found this and it was really useful with lots of photos - maybe something useful there for you
http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/jeff_d ... php?Page=1

Good luck with your build and will be following along. :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave: Alwyn

8O You are a Seriously patient man Alwyn....like pinning those tracks on your other build wasn't hard enough....the bolt work on that reactive armor is mind boggling :crazy:

ALPHA

ALPHA
Major-General

Postby BarryC » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:27 pm

From: http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/cv/weapon/M256.html

"The gun tube, breech, and piston recoil approximately 11 inches (279 mm) during firing. The gun recoils about 1.5 inches (38 mm) before the projectile leaves the gun tube."

So total recoil travel is 11 inches. Round is out by the time the gun has recoiled by 1.5 inches.

11" = 279.4mm

279.4mm/16 = 17.4625mm travel in 1/16 scale.[/quote]

In guessing my current travel is approx. 12-13mm I need to measure looks like I am pretty close, I may actually be there.

Thanks atcttge!
BarryC
Sergeant

Postby BarryC » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:55 am

Does anyone have any idea what the circled item is?

Thanks in advanced, Barry

Photos used under the Fair Use Act for instructional purposes only.

Last edited by BarryC on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarryC
Sergeant

Postby atcttge » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:04 am

Looks like just a footlocker of sorts. Tankers get to use all sorts of containers to keep their gear inside and out of the dirt and rain. Or their beer cool....
atcttge
Sergeant

Postby BarryC » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:32 pm

Thanks Atcttge,

I agree that is what it looks like. There are two tanks I have photos of that belong to the same company/regiment and both have the same piece of stowage, same location in the bustle. I am searching for a better photo but not sure I will find one especially if it is as suspected just a storage locker possibly issued at the company level.

Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BarryC
Sergeant

Next

Return to Modern builds