M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 2/2/20 Update, LAGS, details

Post by BarryC »

ronnie42 wrote:Amazing work , beginning to think your a watchmaker. Need a few pics of the work bench and tools for making the delicate stuff. :D
Thank you sir!

I'll post a couple of pics of the bench and tools though I don't think you'll see anything unique, just lots of them.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

c.rainford73 wrote:Barry an absolute work of artImage
Thank you Carl!
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Eastern Front wrote:Barry,

Incredible work---as always.
That was a real cool idea for the hatch gasket!!
Now for the life of me I cannot understand how you have been able to keep your eyesight with all that fine work :D

Cheers!
Thank you sir!

I struggled with what to make it out of but then the thought "gutting" the wire from the insulation hit me. It takes a while to get it out without damaging the thin rubber insulation but I'm please with the result.

4X reading glasses and a desk lamp with a large magnifying glass built in.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Here are some pics of the highly modified Thermal Sight used on the M240 7.62. It is linked to the Loader’s helmet mounted HUD allowing the Loader to sight the weapon in dark conditions and without exposing himself.

This comes printed as part of the M240 in the TUSK I set from Shapeway. After removing it from the Shapeway parts I detailed it looking at pictures published in the Tankograd TUSK I, II publication. I used simulated brass Hex Bolts with the head rounded off, Rivets and X Point Screws and styrene sheet and rod. The electrical connection is made using the same rubber insulation as for the hatch seal. I inserted a length of .006 brass wire into the insulation and then coiled it around a drill bit. The connector on the end is brass tubing, it is only "SWAG" as I have no pictures on it. I used MV Lens for the optics and styrene tubing and sheet for the Lens Cap. It is attached with a small piece of the rubber insulation split length wise.

This is the overall view of the Loader’s Armored Gun Station (LAGS), all but finished until painting.

Thanks for looking in!
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
seanmcandrews
Recruit

Re: M1A1HA, 2/3/20 Update, Loader's Thermal Weapon Sight

Post by seanmcandrews »

Hi Barry,
I stumbled upon this thread a few months ago while looking for photos of the CS/AMM mount to help in detailing my 1/35 scale kit and all I can say is WOW ! Your work has been an incredible help and inspiration. In regards to the loaders hatch periscope, it's identical to the side ones used in the drivers hatch. Give me a little while and I can get you photos and dimensions of it if that would help.

Sean
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

seanmcandrews wrote:Hi Barry,
I stumbled upon this thread a few months ago while looking for photos of the CS/AMM mount to help in detailing my 1/35 scale kit and all I can say is WOW ! Your work has been an incredible help and inspiration. In regards to the loaders hatch periscope, it's identical to the side ones used in the drivers hatch. Give me a little while and I can get you photos and dimensions of it if that would help.

Sean
Thank you Sean, I try hard! Sounds a little crazy but in addition to pics I've used both a 1/35 Dragon M1A1 and the RFM M1A1 TUSK kits to aid my detail work.

A pic(s) would be awesome!!

TIA
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
pitstain
Corporal

Post by pitstain »

Just when I think you have reached the peak level of details, I get blown away once more.

Barry, Your level of detail is only rivaled by your apparent level of patience, utterly amazing work.

The only question that comes to mind is how you plan to make functional droid soldiers to operate the vehicle?
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Barry,
I know that Dean actually created a documented build log (binder) of his Panther that he recently parted with (a long multi-year process). I was wondering if you are doing the same? Or are these forums your personal build log?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Jarlath wrote:Barry,
I know that Dean actually created a documented build log (binder) of his Panther that he recently parted with (a long multi-year process). I was wondering if you are doing the same? Or are these forums your personal build log?
I do not actually have a build log outside what I've posted here but have 100s more photos that I've shown here. I do intend to create one of sorts as I want to enter the finished model in an IPMS or an AMPS contest either later this year or early next. I think the build log will go along way to document all that was accomplished. :thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
seanmcandrews
Recruit

Post by seanmcandrews »

Will do. I just recalled now that you mentioned struggling a bit with realistic welds and needing quite a few for my abrams, I did as well. There's a modeler on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3GlNC2cK8s showing great results using epoxy putty but being the slightly lazy type I wanted a easier option . I'd had some luck with squadron green putty rolled out into a thin snake , the advantage being in my mind , it's solvent based so I could attach it and smooth in place using liquid cement and even the fact that it shrinks while drying seems a benefit. Disadvantage being it dries out and becomes crumbly quite quickly (especially in small amounts) and limitations in the length that can be prepared before this starts to happen.
I had tried a syringe type setup but thinning the putty enough to flow through the syringe made it too thin to be workable. After some thought I figured out I shouldn't be trying to apply directly to the model with a long and thin tip to reach in corners but simply extrude a nice consistent bead on my worktable , then cut into sections and apply where needed. I made up a little extrusion nozzle from brass rod with as small a hole as I could manage (.008") that's threaded to screw right onto the tip of a disposable plastic syringe. The putty doesn't affect the brass of course and apparently the plastic of the syringe either.
Being that you're working in twice the scale I am and that being a functional model would need to be more robust the squadron putty might not be the best choice but maybe something along those lines ?

Return to “Modern Builds”