M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 9-5 Update. Detailing Drive Sprockets

Post by BarryC »

Well Folks, after looking over the Drive Sprockets I decided that the detail on the Sprocket Ring just was not going to cut it. What you see circled in red on the actual Sprocket Ring is the end of the bolt that holds the Sprocket Ring to the Drive Hub. It is through bolted from the inside of the Drive Hub. The detail of the HL piece has a larger “hole” with the end of the bolt in the center but the hole is too large to the bolt. You can see this in the 3rd pic center pic insert

After drilling out the hole to the size of the HL piece I closed the hole down to more closely match the actual sprocket.

This required 4 pieces of telescoping brass tubing 1.8mm down to 1.2mm to reduce the hole diameter. A 5th piece of 1mm tubing to set the spacing around bolt end then a piece of .028” brass wire to replicate the bolt end.
The right pic insert shows the result of the tubing and wire and the left pic insert shows that I need to do a little better flushing the tubing to the Sprocket Ring, a touch more CA will smooth it all out.

Now I need to cut 100 more pieces of tubing and 20 pieces of wire and that will take care of the Outside Sprocket Rings. Still undecided about the inside rings and the bolt heads for both.

TAFN,
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: M1A1HA, 9-6 Update. More Drive Sprocket Details

Post by ronnie42 »

Do you think this tank will ever be completed? Can't believe the amount of work and attention to detail put into this.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

ronnie42 wrote:Do you think this tank will ever be completed? Can't believe the amount of work and attention to detail put into this.
That is my intent, however there are times I have doubt. ;)

I set out with the intent to build the most accurate functioning model that my abilities and available materials would allow. :)

I'm retired and I work on it when I feel the "creative juices flowing" if they are not then I do not. I do not force myself, modeling is and has been hobby for close to 60 years now, no rush.

Thank you,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Barry Its a good write up and nice pics of the problem areas and the fix required. Even better the mechanics are given the same attention, idler assembly is a work of art. As its RC ? tank warfare we see few builds that show how the tank is setup mechanically for scale running etc, beginning to think its all about the paint job and accessories .
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

ronnie42 wrote:Barry Its a good write up and nice pics of the problem areas and the fix required. Even better the mechanics are given the same attention, idler assembly is a work of art. As its RC ? tank warfare we see few builds that show how the tank is setup mechanically for scale running etc, beginning to think its all about the paint job and accessories .
:thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

I would like to express my utmost respect for your excellent observation, crafting skills and enthusiasm.
Did you pull out the mud hole on the HL metal sprocket wheel? It's amazing. The mud hole is oval, so I think it's very difficult to cut it out cleanly. I had no choice but to use MATO's metal sprocket wheels (with mud holes)
Last edited by kintaroukinji on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

kintaroukinji wrote:I would like to express my utmost respect for your excellent observation, crafting skills and enthusiasm.
Did you pull out the mud hole on the HL metal sprocket wheel? It's amazing. The mud hole is oval, so I think it's very difficult to cut it out cleanly. I had no choice but to use MATO's metal sprocket wheels (with mud holes).
Thank you again for your kind words.

No, I did not cut the "Mud Holes" I used the same Mato Sprockets as you. :thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 9-11 Update. Drive Sprockets Completes

Post by BarryC »

Hi Folks,

I think this the first of the individual sections of this build that I'm going to say is complete. :clap:

I have completed the detail work of the Drive Sprockets though with the Reactive Armor most will be unseen, but I know it's there.

Thanks for looking in.
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: M1A1HA, 9-11 Update. Drive Sprockets Complete

Post by Estnische »

Works of art once again. Kudos to you sir.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 9-11 Update. Drive Sprockets Complete

Post by BarryC »

Estnische wrote:Works of art once again. Kudos to you sir.
Thank you sir! :)

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”