M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 8-5 Update, Muzzle Reference Sensor (MRS)

Post by BarryC »

Eastern Front wrote:Barry,

Awesome!

You can do the rifling by taking very thin styrene rods or strips and laying them into a styrene tube. Do you have a styrene tube that will fit inside the green part of the barrel? The thing I do not like about the Barrel is that the Heng Long barrel thickness is not scale, its too thin, guess its because of the airsoft, so this will work for you. Use Tenax or simliar to attach the styrene, it will flow out nicely and the rod should melt down (fuse) just a bit enough to appear to be part of the barrel and not glued in..

Cheers!
Good suggestion, Thanks! :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

BarryC wrote:
kintaroukinji wrote:You did a great job! I can't believe making such a detailed muzzle model. I'm really surprised. How did you make it?
Thank you!

It is a combination of parts from Heng Long (green piece) and Trumpeter M1A1 kit (gray pieces) along with a piece of brass tubing and some styrene. The hardware is from Scale Hardware (bolts) and RB Motion (caps head bolts).

Now to figure out how the add the rifling land and groves. :think:

Cheers,
Barry
Silly question (I hope not) but surely there's no rifling in a smoothbore?

https://images.app.goo.gl/pdcmPtGkvPtAb44d8
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Well that's my "Dumb A$$" question for the day! :{
You are 100% correct.
Thank you for snapping me back to reality. :thumbup:

Duh!
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

BarryC wrote:Well that's my "Dumb A$$" question for the day! :{
You are 100% correct.
Thank you for snapping me back to reality. :thumbup:

Duh!
Barry

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Still a fantastically detailed build - looking forward to seeing the end result mate! Another inspirational work of art !!!

NB SMOOOOTHbore :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yeah, it's the challenger that has rifling, not the Abrams, why you think the challenger 1 has the kill distance record :D

Mr Front, isn't rifling grooves in the barrel surface :/

Sorry Barry, I can't hold back any longer. I know from your other work it's can't be a mistake, there just has to be a logical reason for it, but please put me out of my misery. Why is the MRS wonky?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Yeah, it's the challenger that has rifling, not the Abrahams, why you think the challenger 1 has the kill distance record :D

Sorry Barry, I can't hold back any longer. I know from your other work it's can't be a mistake, there just has to be a logical reason for it, but please put me out of my misery. Why is the MRS wonky?
Mick,

I will assume you are asking why it is not inline with the bore and skewed to one side. It is pointed at the Gunner's aiming window which is off center to the tanks right. This is so he can see where the barrel is actually pointed with reference to where his sight is looking and can adjust if required.

:thumbup:
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

BarryC wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:Yeah, it's the challenger that has rifling, not the Abrahams, why you think the challenger 1 has the kill distance record :D

Mick,

I will assume you are asking why it is not inline with the bore and skewed to one side. It is pointed at the Gunner's aiming window which is off center to the tanks right. This is so he can see where the barrel is actually pointed with reference to where his sight is looking and can adjust if required.

:thumbup:
Barry
I never knew that!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thank you Barry, I've been putting off asking since you posted the first pictures because I felt awkward asking lol.

And now I know, and I'm sure a few others now know who were afraid to ask ;)

Again. Thank you Barry :thumbup:

It looks excellent :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Well, I'm sure the 105mm Abrams didn't have a sleeve for its rifling, isn't Barry lucky he's not doing that one lol.

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Here are some of the reasons it's a smoothbore gun:

The US decided to develop armour-piercing penetrators like APDS, and eventually APDSFS. These penetrators effectively use their momentum to break through armour extremely easily and then destroy important parts inside of a target like ammunition storages, engine parts, or the crew.

At the same time, gun/launchers were developed to fire rockets from the same barrel as tank shells.

These necessitated a smoothbore gun to allow both shells and rockets to be effectively used. The US did give up on the idea of rockets, but the smoothbore guns were already in use and were perfectly effective, so they stuck.

On the other hand, the UK developed HEAT and HESH to allow for a single shell type for both anti-tank and infantry support, favouring HESH rounds in the long run.

HESH, unlike HEAT shells, don’t need to penetrate armour to cause damage; the squash-head literally squashes up against armour and sends a shockwave that shatters the underside, flinging pieces into the fighting compartment like shrapnel. Penetration just means more forceful (and plentiful) shrapnel, as well as the explosion acting in an enclosed space.

So there you have it. Had the Americans chosen HESH over APFSDS, the Abrams might have been equipped with a rifled gun like the Challenger.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Modern Builds”