M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: HL M1A2/A1 HA Build

Post by BarryC »

I have started the build process with the main gun and mount converting it to barrel recoil with the Clark Universe Recoil Unit. I also want to achieve as close to actual recoil as possible so armed with the information and link provide by Atcttge I began by reducing/cutting back the barrel at the "breach" end to allow it to slide deeper into the mantel.

Here are the results. I still need another 2mm to get very close to the dimension and will file the barrel as needed.

It also appears the "pivot" point is too far aft and needs to be moved .250" forward. This looks to be doable with the bearing seat in the turret being the most challenging.
Has anyone here tried to do this?

More to follow, thanks for looking. Comments welcomed!!
Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

Where did you get the white "breech" assembly? I like to have one.

And yes, the pivot point is too far aft. Should be moved forward. I didn't do that mod because I suck at alignment and I just might ruin my tank. Although that white breech you got there would make it far easier to do the forward-pivot point mod. Looking at this mod closely, I might just copy it in the future. :)
Uncarina
Lance Corporal

Post by Uncarina »

Barry,

Looking very good, and I'm taking notes!

Cheers, Tom
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

atcttge wrote:Where did you get the white "breech" assembly? I like to have one.

And yes, the pivot point is too far aft. Should be moved forward. I didn't do that mod because I suck at alignment and I just might ruin my tank. Although that white breech you got there would make it far easier to do the forward-pivot point mod. Looking at this mod closely, I might just copy it in the future. :)
The Breech Assembly is by Clark and I got mine from RC Tanks OKC, http://www.rctanksofokc.com/Purchase-page.html , about 3/4 ways down the page, comes with a servo.

The alignment is the tricky part but by only moving it forward by .250" I will be able to use the existing mounts and build off them which "should" help me maintain the alignment. Once new pivot has been established I will remove any portion of the original mount not needed.

I'll post pictures as I progress,

Cheers,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Uncarina wrote:Barry,

Looking very good, and I'm taking notes!

Cheers, Tom
Thanks Tom!

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

Ooooh! Thanks, I'll look into that breech assembly. I'd really like to modify the pivot location as well to make the M1 more accurate.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Main Gin Mount recoil unit and pivot relocation.

First I shortened the Clark Recoil unit by approx. .250” actual measurement is closer to .240”. I cut back the HL mantel adapter/attachment piece. I trimmed it expecting the main pivot boss of the recoil to fit into it more. I should have measured three time before cutting….I can work with it.
By shortening the main recoil housing the inner sleeve would either have to be shortened by a similar amount which would also necessitate either deepening the bore for the barrel to fit into or cutting back the barrel neither appealed to me. I finally determined that I could enlarge to opening in the HL mantel adapter which allowed the recoil inner sleeve and barrel to remain unaltered.

This also provided the additional 2-3mm needed for prototypical barrel recoil distance and then some. I will actually have to shorten the recoil distance I have using a stop of some sort.

Here is a photo showing where I have been adding styrene to extend forward the yoke towers for the pivot relocation, .250” further forward. It is proving to be a little more challenging than I first envisioned. I have also determined that the pivot needs to be lower to cause the mantel fit to the top plate of the turret to be more accurate. Unaltered and the top of the mantel will sit too high with respect to the top turret plate. I will have to hinge the close-out plate that is attached to the upper aft edge of the mantel as on the actual tank.
I will also have to shorten the mounting "posts" for the adapter to mantel to compensate for moving the pivot forward, mantel protrudes beyond the face of the turret too much now.

TAFN
Thanks for looking,
Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonardo Da Vinci
Uncarina
Lance Corporal

Re: HL M1A2/A1 HA Build - Main Gun Pivot update 2/13

Post by Uncarina »

Barry,

Your corrections are very detailed and very helpful. Thanks for taking the lead on this!

Cheers, Tom
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Guys,

Made some good progress today. I have completed the relocation of the main gun pivot forward approx .250", re-positioned the mantel aft approx .040" and lowered the pivot .040" which has proven too much I and guesstimating .030" should be about right.

I have also cut loose the molded in place close-out panel between the mantel and the main gun opening. I managed to do so while keeping the hinges intact though I am not sure they will hold up. I will have to find some suitable scale hinges to replace them with.

Does anyone have a source or know who makes them?

I will try and post some pics in the next coupe of days.

Cheers,
Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Here are some photos of the work on the main gun pivot relocation.

All these photos have been deleted as the final version of the main gun pivot are reflected in these original photos.

Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”