M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 4/24 Update, Mojo back and priming inwork.

Post by BarryC »

Hi Folks!

Here are some pics of my weld beads applied using Archer Fine Transfer: Resin Surface Details. These are the "Arc Weld" style as opposed to the "Perfect Weld" style.

The go on just like any water slide decal. Only issue I've had is that they will not bend over corners either rounded or otherwise. Which makes sense as they are resin. ;) They also will not bend into a circular pattern either. These will limit their use somewhat.

Here are 2 closer pics, with a light cost of the primer around the Mantlet opening. IMO they will look fine under paint.

Thanks for looking in, TAFN :)
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Sub
Sergeant

Re: M1A1HA, 5/1 Update, Weld Beads on Turret

Post by Sub »

Hi Mr Barry.
Looking great, i have been using the Archer weld and Rivet details for a few years now and they do look very good when painted over.
If i may offer some small advice, do not leave the decals as they are for any length of time as they WILL come loose and fall off when handling the parts they are on ( ask me how i know ).
I have found that when applied and dried you need to apply a covering coat of primer over them, this locks them in place as the primer hardens and holds them down.

Just something i have learned through experience.
Hope its of some use.
Great build as allways.
Regards.
Sub.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Sub,

Thus far I've not had that issue though I have "sealed" them with primer now that the Turret is mostly done. I applied them over a gloss surface created by mixing AK Gloss with the AK One Shot Primer at 1 part primer to 50% gloss ratio. I applied them using decal setting solution they bind well to the primer. In fact I was unhappy with the placement of a couple and wanted to remove them and had to remove the primer as well as they had bonded "very" well. Your words of advice are valid and they should be seal ASAP. :thumbup:

I'll post some pics later after the primer overcoat is nice and hard. I am very pleased with the out come so far. :clap:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

It's me again :)

Here are pics of the Archer Resin Welds on the Turret under a coat of primer.

On to the Upper Hull.

TTFN,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 10/16 Update, Inspecting and repairing for paint

Post by BarryC »

D_Idaho wrote:Mind blowing... The engineering, fabrication, and attention to detail on this build are incredible.There is a lot to process in this thread, but so many valuable ideas that its well worth coming back to time and again. Well done, good sir.
Thank you Sir! I'm sorry I failed to reply to you. :{

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Those welds are actually really good. Scale and texture is spot on.

I still am in two mids as to if you should paint it or just clear coat it & preserve the amazing details.................... :problem:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thanks Herman,

I am pleased with the end result. I only wish he would do a set with a width of .060" would be close to 1" at 1/16 scale. His largest width available is .040" which is closer to 3/4". I have doubled up on some to get the larger width.

I am going to send him a suggestion, however I'm not sure what the market might be and that will surly be a major factor.

I had seriously considered not painting but in the end it's the right thing to do. :thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Where oh Where has My Mojo Gone! :wtf:

Just can't seem to stay engaged! I am thinking about delving into another project like reviving my Firefly build just to get SOMETHING going!! :think:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20590&hilit=firefly

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

BarryC wrote:Where oh Where has My Mojo Gone! :wtf:

Just can't seem to stay engaged! I am thinking about delving into another project like reviving my Firefly build just to get SOMETHING going!! :think:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20590&hilit=firefly

Barry
Been there which is why I have so many projects in progress. I guess I get bored working on the same tank too long... :yawn:
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

tankme wrote: Been there which is why I have so many projects in progress. I guess I get bored working on the same tank too long... :yawn:
I believe that is the problem, I've enjoyed building the Abrams and learning about the actual machine. However I've been at this one for over 6 years now...I think a need a change of scenery. :thumbup:

I am awaiting a Jadgpanzer IV Lang kit from Ludwig so maybe back to the Firefly for a change. I have most of the heavy lifting done with the lower hull lengthening to the M4A4 length.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”