M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 9/11 Update, Help!

Post by BarryC »

Hi folks!
I managed to make a little more progress. After having moved most of the Electronics including the 3S Battery into the Turret I was concerned about the amount of drag that would be created by the plastic surfaces sliding against each other. I want to add bearing between the Turret and the Upper Hull Turret Ring.

After looking around I found Bearing for the Taigen Tank(s) on the Taigen USA web site. Price is reasonable and shipping was free! Being in Georgia and they being located in Florida it only took a couple days to make the trip.

It took me a couple of days to figure how best to mount them and chain drill the location after laying them out every 45 degrees using a Protractor. Once drilled I connected the “dots” with the X-acto knife and files it was straight forward.

I had to cut all the way through the ring to set the outboard axle end at the desired height. This required the creation of a lower mounting surfaced that also needed to be spaced .020” deeper that the lower surface of the ring.

I filed the original raised bearing surface of the plastic ring down so the Turret would ride on the roller bearings. The Turret now rides mush smoother and will not wear down with use.

Thanks for looking in!
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: M1A1HA, 9/18 Update, Bearings added to Turret/Hull inter

Post by Estnische »

Very tidy, Barry. :thumbup:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Estnische wrote:Very tidy, Barry. :thumbup:
Thank you sir! :)

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi folks!

I have been prepping the tank for paint, I know, you can’t believe it LOL!!
In doing so I have been inspecting and repairing as necessary. After finishing the turret, it is now ready for a good scrubbing, and it will be ready for the first coat of primer.

I started on the upper hull and got around to removing the seals that fit between the side skirts and the main hull.

When I went to remove the first one, I found that the latex material I used to make the seals had molecularly reacted (bonded) to the bare plastic both Held Long as well as the Evergreen strips I had used. In fact, the reaction was greatest to the Evergreen material.

Cleanup has not been too bad but what to use in its place, or perhaps as coat of a water based acrylic paint coat first. :think:

TAFN,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Jarlath
Corporal

Re: M1A1HA, 10/16 Update, Inspecting and repairing for paint

Post by Jarlath »

Possibly a good quality UV resistant black electrical tape? One that has minimal shrinkage with age/UV/etc...

Example 3M 33+ electrical tape
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Love the bearings, Barry :clap: (...and everything else, of course, :D ). Quite a few Tamiya tanks have bearings between the turret and upper hull, and I think they would be a great addition to all commercially available models!. They're not easy to improvise, however, but you have demonstrated a skilled and enviable solution to fitting them. One I shall attempt to copy in future. :thumbup: ..
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Love the bearings, Barry :clap: (...and everything else, of course, :D ). Quite a few Tamiya tanks have bearings between the turret and upper hull, and I think they would be a great addition to all commercially available models!. They're not easy to improvise, however, but you have demonstrated a skilled and enviable solution to fitting them. One I shall attempt to copy in future. :thumbup: ..
I did something very similar on my 1/6th KV-2 a few years back since the turret is so heavy. You can see them in this pic: Image
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Jarlath wrote:Possibly a good quality UV resistant black electrical tape? One that has minimal shrinkage with age/UV/etc...

Example 3M 33+ electrical tape
That was my first thought, I'll need to remove all the adhesive before giving it a try and see how it comes out.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Love the bearings, Barry :clap: (...and everything else, of course, :D ). Quite a few Tamiya tanks have bearings between the turret and upper hull, and I think they would be a great addition to all commercially available models!. They're not easy to improvise, however, but you have demonstrated a skilled and enviable solution to fitting them. One I shall attempt to copy in future. :thumbup: ..
It works well without too much hassle! I saw the method used by someone here, I can't remember who it was but not an original thought on my part. :)

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

tankme wrote:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”