M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 11/21 Update, more Turret Bustle details

Post by BarryC »

nexusys wrote:i get angry every time i visit this topic. I just cant stand Barry's work. Really annoying! :'(

too good Barry, too good for my eyes
Thank you for the compliment. It's just years and years and years and years of practice.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Barry, that APU, is it an air conditioning unit? If so, it will probably have water in it. That water needs changing/removing from time to time and flushing out, so that the water doesn't become stale and accelerate bacteria like legionella that causes Legionnaires disease. I should imagine it would be doubly important to do so if the tank would be sitting idle for some time.
Therefore it could quite easily be a drain plug.

Mick.
Hi Mick,

From what I've read this is just an APU unit, no A/C. But you're thinking is along the same line as mine. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hi Barry, I do love your attention to detail :thumbup:

Oh, ok. I saw the little fan, thought it may contain air conditioning lol.

Mind you, I have since read that the A1 didn't have air con, but the A2 did, but only for the electronics, not the crew lol.

Got to be some kind of drain, but I will be honest, I don't really know what an APU is regarding a tank :{

An embarrassed,
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Hi Barry, I do love your attention to detail :thumbup:

Oh, ok. I saw the little fan, thought it may contain air conditioning lol.

Mind you, I have since read that the A1 didn't have air con, but the A2 did, but only for the electronics, not the crew lol.

Got to be some kind of drain, but I will be honest, I don't really know what an APU is regarding a tank :{

An embarrassed,
Mick.
Hi Mick,

Auxiliary Power Unit. Allows the crew to keep the tank up and running is a Stby. Mode without running the main power plant. ;)

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 12/14 Update, Turret Stowage Bin & Rails

Post by BarryC »

HI folks,

After completing most of the work on the bustle I turned my attention to the railing on the left and right side of the turret stowage boxes.

First up are the individual parts and the aft end/last stanchion which has a compound angle which is welded to the turret side. It was a serious pain in the A$$ trying to get the bend right. It’s a single bend at 35 degrees to the turret and 90 degrees to the stanchion. I made a 5 to get the left side and have made 3 to get the right side correct!

Here are some pics of the rails by themselves and how they look when installed with the stowage box.

Thanks for stopping by!
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Meticulous and astounding craftsmanship in Brass (and the rest :D ), Barry. This sets the bar very, very, ...very HIGH :clap:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

43rdRecceReg wrote:This sets the bar very, very, ...very HIGH :clap:
I know, right? It's utterly demotivating. I personally blame Barry for why my projects are taking so long. I look at his work, then at mine, and I walk away from the hobby for a week or two.

See you guys in a few weeks!
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Barry loves this form of self flagellation ;)

As always, and as expected, marvellous work Barry :clap: :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Its just astonishing how the basic form of a pretty toy-like model can be transformed into an example that even mass production detailed powerhouses like Trumpeter would not find economic to produce.
No way the Tamiya version has this level of detail, its just not feasible to do for manufacturing..............

Besides, Mr C has got that off-world advantage over us 'normal' folk :shifty:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Guys!

Thank you all for the kind words. :D

I've gotten all the parts cut out for the right side and working on final shaping. Locating and cutting the openings for the stanchions on the right ensuring they match (pretty close) the left has proven a little tricky. 8O

Once done I'll be moving on to the bustle extension which has a number of challenging aspects not the least of which is it's design to fold flat against the main bustle. It also uses "U" bolts to secure it to the main bustle. Should prove to be quite the challenge! :crazy:

Cheers,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”