Henglong Abrams build

abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: Henglong Abrams build

Post by abramsky »

BarryC wrote: Trying to figure out how best to replicate the wire welded numbers. :think:
Barry
I am considering making the serial number on the side of the turret of thin wire glued directly to the armor. The hand-made numbers should look like made by the hand of a welder :) In addition, the thin wire should imitate the welding wire ... So much work on a detail that no one but me will notice :haha:
Yellowshaker
Corporal

Post by Yellowshaker »

Popped on here for some inspiration. I have a tamiya Abrams on the way to me, as well as the SEP3 kit from DKLM.
So...this thing is sweet man.
I am curious about the anti slip areas of the tank. Do you know exactly where to apply it? Also, what are you using for the model?
I ordered some of Mid's, but I believe it is for 35th scale.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

M1A2 coating diagram. Dark gray areas are coated.

I used "Tamiya Diorama Texture Paint 100ml - 87116 - Pavement Effect, Light Gray" stippled on my Heng Long Abrams with an old paintbrush I didn't care about. You can go as light or as heavy as you like using that method. My texture looks like this:

Derek
Too many project builds to list...
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

abramsky wrote:
BarryC wrote: Trying to figure out how best to replicate the wire welded numbers. :think:
Barry
I am considering making the serial number on the side of the turret of thin wire glued directly to the armor. The hand-made numbers should look like made by the hand of a welder :) In addition, the thin wire should imitate the welding wire ... So much work on a detail that no one but me will notice :haha:
Sounds like a doable idea! Maybe some .015-.020 wire laid into a number ascribed into the plastic. :think:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

tankme wrote: I used "Tamiya Diorama Texture Paint 100ml - 87116 - Pavement Effect, Light Gray" stippled on my Heng Long Abrams with an old paintbrush I didn't care about. You can go as light or as heavy as you like using that method. My texture looks like this:

Looks great!

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
DasPanzer
Corporal

Henglong Abrams build

Post by DasPanzer »

I basically did the same thing but used tamiya putty and mr hobby glue mixed. Then applied it with a brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by DasPanzer on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Tanks

Henglong Tiger 1 Early Production
Henglong King Tiger in progress
Henglong Jagdpanther almost complete
Henglong Panzer 4 fresh out of box
Henglong Sherman almost complete
Taigen Tiger 1 Late Production custom build with ELMOD hopefully.
Yellowshaker
Corporal

Post by Yellowshaker »

Thanks for the great information. I did not realize that most of the top surface area is anti slip..You guys do great work!
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
DasPanzer
Corporal

Post by DasPanzer »

I drew the outline with a marker then added it. It’s a little easier and keeps your lines some what straight. But from what I have seen on the actual Abrams sometimes it’s just slapped on there and it’s un even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tanks

Henglong Tiger 1 Early Production
Henglong King Tiger in progress
Henglong Jagdpanther almost complete
Henglong Panzer 4 fresh out of box
Henglong Sherman almost complete
Taigen Tiger 1 Late Production custom build with ELMOD hopefully.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

DasPanzer wrote:I drew the outline with a marker then added it. It’s a little easier and keeps your lines some what straight. But from what I have seen on the actual Abrams sometimes it’s just slapped on there and it’s un even
Exactly the reason I didn't mask and did it by hand. The pattern is also very random and not just sand texture so I liked the results I got.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Yay! Tank you, tankme, for the coating diagram and the tip on "Tamiya Diorama Texture Paint 100ml - 87116 - Pavement Effect, Light Gray." :think: Then, too, the putty and glue trick is handy. Tanks, toot, too you, Das Panzer!

Return to “Modern Builds”