M1A1HA, 8-11 Update, Loader's Armored Gun Station (LAGS)

Postby BarryC » Sat May 04, 2019 6:07 pm

With the lead from Tankme and armed with some good pics of the buckle I had a go at the V3.0 version.

It is a little time consuming but not to bad in the grand scheme of things. I think the end results are well worth the effort......I'll see if I still feel the same after I get 32 of them made! :crazy: I have desided to use a smaller diameter tube or piece of brass wire of the non functional center pivot.

TAFN,
Barry
BarryC
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby tankme » Sat May 04, 2019 7:37 pm

No problem. Been looking at those straps for my Abrams build. Not as detailed as yours, but hey... :) Theoretically the buckle is just two pieces of stamped metal with tabs pushed up and a pivot pin. It's actually a very simple design and I'm sure it's pretty easy to manufacture. Since the pieces start out flat, I'm sure these could be photo-etched pretty easily. There are some vids out there on DIY photo-etching. Micro-Mark even sells a photo-etch kit...kinda pricey, but may be worth your sanity.

https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Mark-Pr ... fkQAvD_BwE

tankme
Recruit

Postby BarryC » Sun May 05, 2019 1:59 pm

I have often considered learning how to photo etch but to me it does not seem practical. From what I've read to achieve quality PE results the learning is a lengthy process. I simply do not wish to devote the time or expense needed to learn. Then there is also the needed and expense to properly dispose of the waste and used chemicals.

You are correct though it is a very simple design and could easily be accomplished with PE. I think I'm going to send this simple drawing to a couple of firms that specialize in PE and get a quote. If they can put 40 sets onto a single sheet and it is not too expensive then I might get them done. In the mean time I'm going to press on with the Bustle Extension.

I still need to add dimensions to the drawing but here's what I have.

TTFN,
Barry
BarryC

Postby tankme » Sun May 05, 2019 7:33 pm

Barry,

If you get a price on those buckles I'd be willing to buy a few sheets (like 3) of them if it will lower the cost some. I could use them on both my MRAP and Abrams builds. If not, it's no biggie.

Derek

tankme
Recruit

Postby BarryC » Mon May 06, 2019 1:19 am

tankme wrote:Barry,

If you get a price on those buckles I'd be willing to buy a few sheets (like 3) of them if it will lower the cost some. I could use them on both my MRAP and Abrams builds. If not, it's no biggie.

Derek

Hey Derek,

I will keep that in mind, I hoping some others may also be interested. It will be a few days before I get the dimensions on the drawing I'm considering purchasing an assembly off eBay so I can get actual measurements

I will then get the drawing sent to some etching services. I've got a couple references form other sites where the modelers were very pleased and did not feel the cost were too high. I am hoping to limit the purchase to 10 sheets.

Cheers for now,
Barry
BarryC

Postby BarryC » Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi Folks!

As tomorrow is my 65th year on your planet I figured it was time for another update. I don’t mind saying that this has been the most trying piece of this build by far! It has lots of individual pieces and with less than a dozen photos to work with and NO dimensions it has been the old trial and error method. I basically scaled it to fit the main Bustle Rack. I also only had one photo of it in the folded travel position, so a lot of gray cells were expended deducing how it stowed in the folded position. It was pretty simple in the end but determining how each of the individual sections had to function so all fold into the available space caused the trial and error to be the best approach, several iterations later I had a functioning model.

So, in the beginning there was “ample” room for stowage in the Bustle Rack. It was determined during actual use that there was not “ample” room, so the Kardashian sisters were contacted. If anyone knows how to “expand” ones bustle it is them!

Here are photos of the primary parts. The Mount Hangers attach to the main bustle via the Mount Blocks and Bolts.

Next up are pics of the Bustle Rack Extension in the Stowed position. It is held in the Stowed position using two PIP pins. I still must fabricate the PIP pins so for now I’m using a brass rivet on each side.

These photos show the Bustle Rack Extension as it is unfolded into the open position. The PIP pins also “lock” it in the open position. So, from what I can determine it functions the same as the 1:1 unit.

Next up will the Expanded Steel Floor Mesh.

Thanks for looking in!
Barry
BarryC

Postby lmcq11 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:17 am

Well, happy birthday Barry !

You still have very good eyes and hand precision for a "senior" alien.

Regards, Louis

lmcq11
Staff Sergeant

Postby BarryC » Thu May 30, 2019 11:58 am

Thank you Louis.

Good news is I don't feel any older! :haha:

Barry
BarryC

Postby HERMAN BIX » Thu May 30, 2019 12:15 pm

Mr C, happy Birthday & all that, but you are a dead-set Maniac !!!
Clearly ya cant play golf :/

Extraordinary work Sir.
Just magnificent.

So, now Ive figured out you are Mr mcq11's dad, both sent here by mistake, waiting for the return trip, trying not to get caught by the men in black.

See, easy, just had to join a couple of dots...............

:problem: :lolno:
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby BarryC » Fri May 31, 2019 11:38 am

Thank you sir for the birthday note and the very kind words. :thumbup:

One day I will get the opportunity to go "home" but not too soon I hope. I kind of like it now after all these years.

Barry
BarryC

Postby BarryC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi Floks,

I have completed the major work complete on the Bustle Rack Extension with the installation of Floor Mesh. Here are a few pics of the BRE with some stowage and the EAPU.

TTFN,
Barry
BarryC

Postby HERMAN BIX » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiBLgEx6svA

Detain & sedate that 'man' !! :shifty:
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:50 am

Fantastic above and beyond modelling Barry :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can't make my mind up if Herman's correct or ya just bonkers :D

Oh, and a belated happy birthday Barry :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Sensational brass-work, as usual, Barry. :thumbup: :thumbup: Do you have Antman for an assistant with all those tiny bolts and welds? Normally, I'd only expect to see a Swiss watchmaker working on fine details such as these. :D
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby c.rainford73 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:12 am

Barry maybe Antman himself...... consuming potions that allow him to become a miniature version of himself in order to achieve such details.... :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Conan_the_Hungarian » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:58 am

Absolute artwork!
Conan_the_Hungarian
Recruit

Postby Sub » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:04 am

Hi.
Absolutely stunning, a master at his craft.
When people see things like this some just do not realise the amount of time and patience and skill that goes into just a small part, it is just above some peoples comprehension.
Plus the fact that if you are like me the several other versions that you were not happy with and discarded.
An inspiration to anyone that wishes to build a true scale model.
Fantastic stuff. :clap: :clap:
Sub.

Sub
Lance Corporal

Postby BarryC » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:16 pm

Thank you fellows, you humble me with your kind words. :)

Barry
BarryC

Postby BarryC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Happy Father's Day,

Thought I would give myself a break and build some of the spare equipment and the different style stowage box carried on the tank I am modeling.

Starting with the Stowage Box, it is different than most I have seen. I decided to build it from styrene saving some weigh as the Bustle and Extension Racks have added quite a bit of weight to the aft end of the turret. Plus, there is a lot of additional stowage mostly resin casting that will add even more. I did use some brass for details including the piano hinge.

Next up are the Spare Wheel/Tire assemblies, they turned out to be more work than I had intended but it was the only way. I had originally planned on using the one that Rocket Man produced but could not. It was intended to mount with a spare sprocket on top of the turret on the CCTV hole cover. The tank I am modeling carried the spare wheels hung from the corners of the Bustle Rack and the back of the wheel is very visible, so I need that detail.

I decided to use the Trumpeter wheels as a starting point. I cut the rim section from one and the wheel center from another. In order to have a scale appearance on the wheel center it needed to be about .030” thick and the Trumpeter piece once cut out was .060” thick. I chucked the wheel center piece up in the lathe and turned it down to the needed thickness.

I created the rim backplate detail using .020” and .010” styrene. First, I laid out a circle then the 8 stud locations and drilled them out. After attaching the backplate to the rim I shaped it to match pics then set the wheel center in place and marked the stud locations and drilled them out. Then the lay out the 10 holes where the wheel is bolted to the hub.

Using 1mm threaded bolts threaded into the backplate I established the length needed I cut and glued them in place using CA. I opened the 8 holes in the wheel center and bolted it to the backplate with washers and nuts. Using a section of brass tube of the needed size I embossed the stud locations onto the backplate. Using a Guide Tooth link from the Trumpeter kit I created the attachment piece used to attach the wheels and spare track sections to the railing.
Wheel pics

Spare Track sections we made using track pieces from MATO, brass rod and tube, Trumpeter kit parts and Meng nuts and bolts. As you can see in the photos there are several parts needed to build up each track section. It was time consuming, but I believe the result is worth the effort. They will hang as seen from the turret stowage bars along the sides of the turret stowage bins.

All three stowage items mounted.

TAFN, Thanks for looking in!
Barry
BarryC

Postby BarryC » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:29 pm

My attempt at making the "Whip" Antennas. This ones for you Herman after all you drove me to it!! :haha:

These proved to be very problematic, winding .022” spring steel onto a shaped mandrel. It was not the winding of the wire so much as trying to get the finished springs off the “coke” bottle shaped mandrel without stretching the spring out of shape.

Several failed attempts before an acceptable shaped coil was obtained at least for now.

I am not completely happy with the taper of the top and bottom; I may have another go at them.

TAFN, Thanks for looking in,
Barry
BarryC

PreviousNext

Return to Modern builds