M1A1HA, 9/18/23 update. Delay of Game, two week penalty!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 9/30 Update, Forward Hull Details

Post by BarryC »

nexusys wrote:I want to comment with a lot of eye watering feedback, but i think i just call barry a MAD MAN. That'll explains it.

Naaa youre nuts Barry. I thought you wouldve give up by now. hahaha. meticulous work
Thanks Nexusys, I can't give up now, too close to the finish line. :clap:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 9/30 Update, Forward Hull Details

Post by BarryC »

Hi guys,

I picked up some self adhesive film made by AFV Club to simulate the coating applied to the periscopes.

I have applied it to the white styrene pieces I've shaped for driver's periscopes to see how it looks. I have considered getting someone to cast them in clear resin or shaping some clear resin blocks I have. So I thought I would see how it looks on the opaque before going the clear route.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Slightly different angle from above pic.

In closed position.

TIA,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M1A1HA, 10/ Update, Driver's Hatch COMPLETE!!!!

Post by BarryC »

Hi Folks,
I have added the fastener detail to the Driver’s Hatch.

There are four cap head screws made using .8mm simulate brass bolts rounded off with .015” holes drilled in the center.

The three small fasteners over the periscope blocks are .5mm brass rivets filled flat. They hold the windshield wiper unit in place.

The three fasteners at the hold open lever secure the unit in place are .7mm simulated bolts with washers.

There are four fasteners two on each side of the angled cover that shields the windshield wiper operator. They are also .7mm simulated bolts with washers.

TAFN,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Sub
Sergeant

Re: M1A1HA, 10/6 Update, Driver's Hatch all most complete.

Post by Sub »

Hi Barry.
I have just found this build log after just puchasing an Abrams and all i have to say is this build is magnificent the attention to detail and build quality is second to non the scale fidelity is awesome.
I have seen " builders " models in museums that are no way near this quality or standard it is truley an inspiration to all.
I will be using some of these mods on my Abrams but only to get a useable semi scale model.
I am in no doubt this is the best tank build i have ever seen.
Thank you for sharing it is a true credit to you.
Regards
Sub.
:clap: :clap:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Sub,

Thank you sir for the very kind words.

My goal is to build a functional model that is as accurate and detailed as my skills allow. I want the model to appear as if someone simply shrank a full size tank down to 1/16 scale.

I hope to have it finished and enter it in next years IPMS National contest. Winning is not the goal but I have always wanted to build a model that would be worthy of entry in a major modeling contest.

If I can apply a quality paint job that highlights and replicates the actual tank I am modeling then I'll be overjoyed with my effort. :D

Thanks again,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi Mick,

I agree totally and that is why I have many, many more photos than I've posted here. I have heard the same story told by many modelers who did not receive proper credit for their work simply because those judging could not see what they were looking at. :eh:

I hoping with the right level of detail painting, weathering and washes I'll be able to make my details "pop" as they say. It will be the most challenging paint job I have ever attempted. It's the weathering and washes that will make or break the finish.

Currently working on the turret bustle and bustle extension. Lots of brass work ahead!! 8O

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Latest update covers what I hope will be the LAST major task for this build!!

For those who have followed along on my journey you may remember that I modified the Trumpeter M1A1 Turret Bustle and was planning on using the Shapeway Bustle Extension, well that plan went out the window when I started looking closely at the combination of the two.

First after all the other details I fabricated I was not really happy with the Trumpeter Bustle. The vertical stanchions are two thick IMO. I have no imperial data only photos which I judged to show that the stanchions were not 1” thick which is what the Trumpeter piece measures out to. The railings also IMO appear too thick. But I was not looking to prolong the build by scratch building a bustle from brass, so I’ve been intending on using it until now. BUMMER!!!!!

So, pressing forward I sized up the Shapeway Bustle Extension and much to my dismay I found that the floor was flipped vertically 180 degrees. I also found the vertical stanchions between the Trumpeter Bustle and the Shapeway Extension do line up and they are way too thick. BUMMER #2!!!!!!!!!!

So, here we go scratch building the bustle and extension.
I started by fabricating brass templates for each of the primary pieces on the bustle. I went ahead and piloted locating holes for the railing and floor bars and mount pins using a #79 drill bit. Then it was off to laying out the templates onto a sheet of .040” brass sheet. After cutting and shaping them I drilled out the pilot holes to .062”.

I next cut the Trumpeter upper mount fittings from their hangers. The lower Trumpeter mounts proved to be unusable, so I fabricated new ones from styrene. I located and glued the upper mount fitting to the turret then using my fabricated brass hangers I located the lower fittings and glued them into place.

Once the mounts where secured I used them to assemble the three hangers and the two forward pieces together with 2 horizontal railings and one floor bar soldered in place using silver solder.

I then soldered the remaining railings and floor bar in place along with the “L” angle that forms the forward floor vertical horizontal member.

More to follow below
Leonardo Da Vinci
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Barry that's just fantastic
Tanks alot.... :wave:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Next came fabricating the Mounting Platform for the A.P.U. It consists of the plate and three “Z” angles. I fabricated the Z angles using two opposing L shaped angles. After soldering all together, I fitted them to the bustle. I need this piece to properly fit the expanded metal deck as it establishes the overall length.

Now for the Expanded Metal Deck, WOW what a pain!! I made 4 pieces before I got close. The 5th piece “seemed” to fit so I cut and soldered the “framing” pieces only to find that it did not fit close enough. So, one more time and I believe I’ve got it right, well close enough that is.

With the Deck and A.P.U. Platform in place it was time to build up the Recess Solid Floor piece for each forward corner of the floor. The recessed area is sized to fit 5 Gal. Water or Fuel Cans. It consists of three pieces fitted between the elements that make up open area of the corner. I soldered the three pieces together using silver solder making an assembly, then into the opening using a lower temp solder to avoid de-soldering the entire assembly.

Next step is to make up the Recess Floor assembly for the remaining corner and the Lower Band that encloses the lower outboard and aft area. The band will be a ¼” x .015” brass strip soldered to the bottom two horizontal railings. Then it will on to the Bustle Extension which has several challenging points to overcome as it is designed to fold flat.

TAFN,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: M1A1HA, 11/05 Update, Turret Bustle and Extension

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Wolf whistles. . . .

That's one mighty fine sexy bustle you have there Barry ;)

I love a good bustle :D
The bustle is a tough gig to get your underwear onto the outside of though Mr Gunner :haha:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Modern Builds”