Tamiya type 10

tomhugill
Captain

Tamiya type 10

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks,

One I've had for a while but not had the parts till recently. This is going to be fairly light touch as the tank was built to a good standard and painting neatly, it's unfortunate that a nasty brown was applied, hopefully I can remove this but if not a full repaint will be in order. There are some bits missing which I will scratch build.

I bought this tank as fully working, but did come looking a little sad from the courier journey.

Initially I wasn't 100% happy with the rotation speed (especially with the stabilisation) and opted to upgrade to a black cap motor has I've done with several over tamiya tanks.

Unfortunately unbeknownst to me the new electrics in the type 10 weren't as robust as on previous models and couldn't handle the extra current. This caused the rotation to fail. I did toy with using an external ESC for this but didn't want to loose the stabilisation of the new electrics.

In the end Ianaged to source replacements from Germany thanks for a fellow model tanker living there.

Whilst out of commission the type 10 had been a bit of a parts donor to other modern tamiya tanks loosing it's gearboxes, limit switch and rotation unit.

Luckily I was able to obtain spares and in the case of the rotation cobble together what I needed thanks to another tanker who had a spare rotation unit case.

Some of the missing bits on the rear right quarter and the side light areas

ImageImage

New electrics installed (standard tamiya birds nest)

Some cable ties later

Some of the scratch built bits so far

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya type 10

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Egad, Tom, you get an "A" in wire management! I cannot see how anything more could be crammed into that Type 10. I surmise that the bottles sitting behind the tank in the bottom-most photo were a necessary result of all the hours you spent fitting in electronics and wires.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Jeez Mr H, you dont mind a hovercraft do ya !!
Those Type 10's run really well.
One of our club guys has one & it just seems to glide around without fuss.
Looking forward to see what you do with it ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Jeez Mr H, you dont mind a hovercraft do ya !!
Those Type 10's run really well.
One of our club guys has one & it just seems to glide around without fuss.
Looking forward to see what you do with it ;)
phpBB [video]

What can I say! I even have a proper hovercraft :haha:

I really really like this type 10. It seems very well thought out, down to being able to run the aux generator noises whilst the engines off.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Return to “Modern Builds”