Tamiya M551 Sheridan build, Update 10/4/19 Fwd Hull Mod

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Tamiya M551 Sheridan build, Update 10/4/19 Fwd Hull Mod

Post by BarryC »

So to take a "little" break from the Abrams minutia I started work on the Tamiya M551 Sheridan.

NO it is not replacing the Abrams build just need to work on something different, needed a break!!

Started at the beginning :O

No surprises but the fit between the upper and lower hulls needs a little TLC for a better fit and look.

The Fording Surfboard mounted on the upper forward hull needs to al least "appear" to be a separate piece that "could" be raised. As molded it appears to be a solid piece of the upper hull, won't fly here! ;)

I am still undecided how much detail I will add or enhance on this one. :think:

Thanks for looking in,
Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Something new 9/29 Tamiya M551 Sheridan build.

Post by jarndice »

It would appear that you have already decided to go the highly detailed route and thank goodness :thumbup: ,
I have never done an American Tank so this will have my full attention.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Grabbing my popcorn and settling in for this one :thumbup: This is going to be good....
Tanks alot.... :wave:
kintaroukinji
Lance Corporal

Post by kintaroukinji »

I am very interested in how you can use this wonderful skill to improve the details of this M551 Sheridan. The display model of this M551 has recently been released by TAMIYA, so I am planning to build up my favorite RC drive system based on that and improve the appearance in detail.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Dear Barry(or what ever your real off-world name is that is made up of symbols) I have sent a sternly worded email to the MIB HQ informing them of your apparent non-conformance to the accepted Earth protocol of completion of project 1 before embarking on Project 2.
They have indicated that should said project 1 not be resumed in less than 1000 years, or by close of business today on your planet, they will be forced to reassess your visa. :shifty: :think:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hi Barry, I love your commitment to those little details that make the models more realistic, no matter how awkward they are to do.

Fantastic first steps :clap: :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

c.rainford73 wrote:Grabbing my popcorn and settling in for this one :thumbup: This is going to be good....
You may want to get several boxes or perhaps a Snicker bar as its going to be a while! :haha:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

kintaroukinji wrote:I am very interested in how you can use this wonderful skill to improve the details of this M551 Sheridan. The display model of this M551 has recently been released by TAMIYA, so I am planning to build up my favorite RC drive system based on that and improve the appearance in detail.
Tamiya's approach to the detail is hit or miss for instance, the small fastener details on top of the Surfboard are mostly small round moldings where they should be Hex nuts with bolt threads protruding. I understand not molding the bolt threads but the nuts being round instead of being Hex I don't understand.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Hi Barry, I love your commitment to those little details that make the models more realistic, no matter how awkward they are to do.

Fantastic first steps :clap: :clap:
Hi Mick,

It has to at least look the part in my book.
My real preference is to remove the Surfboard assembly completely because many of the Sheridan's used in Vietnam had them removed. All of my first choice in tanks to model had them removed so I going this route first.

Pic with Surfboard removed

I may very well decide to remove if I do it will leave a very large opening in the upper hull requiring a complete rebuild on the forward upper hull to include the upper to lower attachment. We shall see, looking for something to make the build really standout from the OOB build.

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Dear Barry(or what ever your real off-world name is that is made up of symbols) I have sent a sternly worded email to the MIB HQ informing them of your apparent non-conformance to the accepted Earth protocol of completion of project 1 before embarking on Project 2.
They have indicated that should said project 1 not be resumed in less than 1000 years, or by close of business today on your planet, they will be forced to reassess your visa. :shifty: :think:
My friend,

I was under the impression that the "unwritten rule" was that ALL earth bound modelers were required to have several projects in work at the same time and a equal number sitting on a "shelf of doom" possibly never to be completed. :eh:

By the way the rotation rate of my planet on it's axis is the same as earth's journey around the sun. :thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Modern Builds”