Leopard 2A7

ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: Leopard 2A7

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi Soeren If its angles of hull being out do you know anyone with access to a milling / cnc machine to make a part for you to line everything up?
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Eastern Front wrote:What Ian spoke of has nothing to do with the Tamiya hull or the Hentec idler.. The problem with the tensioners being canted outwards is a problem with the after market cast hull he ordered ONLY!

So, charge on with your build, your good to go!

On another note, as I have said before, I will say it again, the Tamiya 2A6 DOES NOT HAVE HULL FLEX! you do not need to reinforce it! I have had 3 so far, have a fourth in the box and never experienced flexing---ever! It can't really flex due to the design of the gearbox, that is why its designed that way. Please if anyone out there has a cracked Tamiya 1/16 leopard hull I want to see it!

Hope this clears things up...

Cheers!
Thanks for putting that straight. I was referrring to Ians build with the intention most of the forumees would know about that. It was due to the fact that the cast hull has a different shape than the Tamiya. Yes, you are most likely right about the hull being solid like it was. So I hope the reinforcement is not interfering here. Nonetheless it gives a solid feel to the hull. The ABS feels solid on its own though. It seems just to be the trend to have everything metal nowadays. And I fell for it :crazy:

@ Mr Rainford. The tensioner is the piece that is around at Tankmodellbau, RCtank, etc. It looks like the Schumo piece. The hub is part of the idler set though. So the tensioner is only the arm with the retaining screw and nut. Still looking really nice. And it has a micro tooth arrangement verus the 8 teeth arrangement on the Tamiya piece and its metal :crazy:
I am sure Eastern Front will also tell that the Tamiya piece would have been just right as it was out of the box and... well... it is just for the sake of spending money on the hobby and the additional bling until it is painted Nato green.
pitstain
Corporal

Post by pitstain »

So just to clear things up, I would NOT use the cast hull in hindsight, however if you do decide to use the cast hull I used the Henntec idler system, but did not use their axles, instead using stock axles and bearings, but I also used the hong-kong front idlers, so the henntec axles may work fine with the stock tamiya idlers.

The combo of hong kong rc metal hull tub with henntec idler system corrected the angle issue as the correct angle is built into henntec's idler mounting plates.

Either way, if I do another 2A6 i will use the stock chassis, I did all these aftermarket hong kong bits just to add to "realism" and show off a bunch the possible upgrades out there in one video series, let my pain be your gain and stick with at least the stock chassis tub, reinforce if you wish for the added weight or whatnot, but damn, that Hong Kong chassis was a hot mess.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hey there, did something on the hull and ordered some add on parts from afv tank. Are they worth it? The cables are for sure. All the other parts not really. Altough the tow hitch is somewhat workable it is not really fitting like it was made for this model and the mg3 is a rather crude casting. Some detail on it is really nice, other parts too bulky. ImageImageImageImage

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Soeren Good to see the build started . Going to put a couple of the ball bearing LEO turret rings on other tanks, getting the correct height and fixing was a nightmare. Your pics of the hull are perfect. :)
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Thanks Ronnie. I also started on the Meng kit. And again it is really obvious how much less detail is present on Tamiyas lower hull. All those rc models didn't seem to get too much attention there
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hello dear people, hope you are all well.

Did some slow work on this kit, but nothing special to show pictures yet. I also tried to paint the tracks on the spare links to start with. But unfortunately they don't take the paint neither acrylics nor enamel. Are these paint able at all? Or do I have to go wit a set of aftermarket metal tracks.

Return to “Modern Builds”