Leopard 2a6

Oh How Original
Recruit

Leopard 2a6

Post by Oh How Original »

Very excited when I got this today, although I would love to build a Tamiya tank from scratch, they are just financially a bit out of my reach right now, unless I fall on a bargain in Germany, which I doubt!
So, I purchased this second hand, she's a Tamiya Leopard 2A6 for those who don't already know
I like the fact she was*repsrayed her after the last run and she's sat doing nothing since then, it means I have a good unscratched blank canvas to work with.
The details are fantastic, she's good and heavy too, the main barrel feels just a bit loose up and down, I'm guessing this is play somewhere in the servo horn or connecting arm (I've not had the turrent off yet to check it all out) so that could probably be sorted quite easily.

Can you guess what it is yet?

Really beautiful little details all over it, you don't really pick up on these things in other peoples pictures, it's great to see in the flesh.

In all her marvellous glory.

And, I wheeled her back and fourth a few times, over my knife, it became very addicitive, seeing the tracks and wheels moving up and down lol, sad maybe... But thoroughly enjoyable!

And a quick shot outside in the sun

I know I made a 'show off' thread, but I won't be posting in there, I will keep all my updating for this one :)
Oh How Original
Recruit

Re: Leopard 2a6

Got the little baskets all glued back together and then glued onto the tank  

Can also anyone please confirm what this other part is? It fell off in transit and was in the bubble wrap when I opened it, it looks like it's been glued on (paint missing off the back) but I can't find it in the manual, unless I'm just missing it and haven't got the foggiest idea what it's for?
There seems to be a spring inside, because the little shaft springs if you press it in.
The left rear wheel is actually looking buckled too, so I guess I'll have to figure out how to take it all apart soon enough lol.

Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

That's the suspension damper :D

Good to see the gbs removed, it doesn't work that well on this but works flawless in the type 10.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

One tip, don't leave a battery in the turret - it will sag.
Oh How Original
Recruit

Ad Lav wrote:That's the suspension damper :D

Good to see the gbs removed, it doesn't work that well on this but works flawless in the type 10.
I assume it shouldn't have come off lol... I will have to really look over the instructions thoroughly and see if I can spot it.
Maybe that's the reason for the wobbly wheel?
I wanted to give it a proper run, but not risking it with the wobbly wheel.
And yes, I want to get used to really having to drive it myself, I love a nice technical vehicle.. It also takes up space that's needed for the battery.
I was going to use some tiny 1700 2s packs in it, but run times wouldn't be great, so I figure if I can get the battery tray out, cut off all the tabs, I can run my 5200 and 6000mah packs, which should give awesome run time lol.
On the battery front, if you mean voltage sag, then yeah I don't leave them plugged in :)
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

No, I did mean turret sag - the weight of the battery will bow the turret on the engine grills!

Easy to spot that bit, check the sides and see where it's come off.

Wobbly wheel could be a loose grub screw in the arm.
Oh How Original
Recruit

Ad Lav wrote:No, I did mean turret sag - the weight of the battery will bow the turret on the engine grills!

Easy to spot that bit, check the sides and see where it's come off.

Wobbly wheel could be a loose grub screw in the arm.
Oh my bad... I don't leave the batteries in any of my RCs anyway, they have ammo tins to be stored in :) thanks for the tip though I will remember that.
I guess there's no way to strengthen them at all?
And I've looked externally but can't see anything missing if I'm honest.
I'll have to have a good read of the manual to see how it all comes apart.
As I said, I need to remove the tabs from the battery tray anyway, so I will just have to be brave and start unscrewing stuff :haha:
Oh How Original
Recruit

Broke out the instructions, to have a good thorough read through, and so the tear down begins.
Need to just fettle a few things and replace a few things.
Not sure if she'll be repsray or not, and if so, a whole change in theme or not, time will tell I suppose

Thanks to Ad, for the heads up on the suspension damper, it fit right back into place.

I then noticed another one was missing lol!
And obviously something else from next to it, which I've also no idea what was there, something was definitely glued to it at some point though.

Oh well, lets get cracking  

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Looks like 'Robo-Cop' with his helmet off !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Oh How Original
Recruit

Haha, yes indeed :haha: when I first looked inside I was like :crazy: but I've taken a few photos of which wires go where, so hopefully I should be fine.
It also may seem like complete sacrilege to some tank buffs, but I'm thinking of removing the sound unit anyway.
It's become quite old, quite fast lol, not something I want on in a public place, by myself, especially when most of my videos have some music over them, because of wind noise, or people talking and kids running round etc...
So I think removing it all would give me better run time, less weight up top and I don't think I'll actually use it all anyway.
Still mulling it over though.

Return to “Modern Builds”