Tamiya JGSDF Type 10

a65l
Recruit

Re: Tamiya JGSDF Type 10

Post by a65l »

I actually did a bunch of shit, but didn't take pictures. Just a couple.

I'm jumping the order in the manual, as I want to paint the upper hull before I install clear bits or lenses. Same deal with the turret... so I'm assembling all the detail stuff on the outside before I do any of the electronics or major parts assemblies. In fact, I built a bunch of the small detail bits. The only things I couldn't bring myself to start were the turret baskets.. didn't feel up to dealing with photoectch that needed to be bent. I had enough of a time with the mesh that's supposed to go in front of the headlights. Still haven't gotten that right.

And i didn't save any staples for the smoke launchers. I strippedc the cover off a couple of the twist ties that hold the light harness together and used that metal instead. Worked out just fine. I was a little worried I was cutting the chains too short, as I wound up with quite a bit left over, but everything seems to look good.

I'll get some pics of the other detail bits I made tomrrow sometime. Wasn't really happy with how a couple of them fit together... mainly the commander's sight parts and the front left/right detector arrays. But that's what putty is for...

A little nonsense now and then
Is treasured by the wisest men
rr82@mediacombb.net
Recruit

Post by rr82@mediacombb.net »

what color green did you use. was it tamiya paint
a65l
Recruit

Post by a65l »

So, the covid got ahold of me and laid me out for a couple days. So no progress, really. I did sneak out now and then and just spray a couple parts or glue some small stuff together. I seem to be really slacking on taking pictures. but most of the stuff is fairly routine. I was a little surprised that the end of the gun barrel was clear plastic....

I note that the turret pieces don't fit quite right, or I may be doing something wrong. I think it may be easier to not install the mantlet when the instructions want you to, and hold off untill the gun is installed and teh foward, upper turret piece is installed. That would save some prying and finagling to get the piece under the moveable flap on the mantlet. the turret seems to go together ok when the gun is left out, but that's not going to work either...

Hopefully today I can get out and power it up for the first time, I need to replace the connector on the board with an XT60. When connecting the hull light connectors to the hull control board, note that it takes a bit of force to get the connectors in all the way, and the cable from the rear lights is actually long enough, but it's fiddley.

Yeah, that's not going to work for me...

That's not a terrible gap, but it's in an obvious place, and dosent' exist if the gun isnt' installed. I don't see any obvious reasons for it, no trapped wires or interference.

Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Post by Shagnifico »

Yeah that gap sucks, you can thank Tamiya’s efforts to wow us with the amazing power of magnets. A simple hinge and latch would’ve been so much better, and cheaper. Heck even Velcro.. The turret roof is also prone to bouncing off on rough terrain. The bow, headlight assembly and glacis is also held on by magnets, so it comes off all the time driving outdoors. Or when you pick it up as you would pickup any other 1/16 tank. Be mindful of that so it doesn’t slip from your hands and fall to the floor as you stand there with the front of the tank and the ripped out headlights in one hand. Lucky for us it’s a tamiya tank so there’s lots of aftermarket third party upgrades available.. oh wait.
rr82@mediacombb.net
Recruit

Post by rr82@mediacombb.net »

Keep up the good work, and dont forget pics.
Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Post by Shagnifico »

The mud flaps on mine would break off easily because they’re too rigid. I replaced them with 1mm silicone sheet.
a65l
Recruit

Post by a65l »

Well, turns otu that if you adjust the screws that mate to the magnets you can adjust your alignment... much better.

Now, it's gonna sit for a week or two while I decide if I want to put the brown on it.. not like there's many choices there.

I did practice with my shiny new airbrush a little bit.....

MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Hi,

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the electronics ? I am curious to see how different it is from the M551 Sheridan.

Regards,

MichaelC
a65l
Recruit

Post by a65l »

I'll see about getting one today, but the short answer is completly different. No LCD screen, DMD is just an open board that gets attached to the turret base. Also uses a separate hull board that contains motor esc's and apparently light switching and sound module.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

I see. thank you. I guess the board is only on the Sheridans and the Centurions. I guess they have to have a turret board for the stabilization and lock-on targeting system.

Return to “Modern Builds”