7 December 1941

This section is for talk about real historic events, battles or anything like it.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

7 December 1941

Post by sassgrunt »

Today is the 75th Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. I am watching live TV on the commemorative events, which include the few remaining veterans of that day, including survivors of the USS Arizona and the USS Utah, (the only two ships in the harbor with people still entombed inside). The weather has been overcast and rainy lately, but today it is beautiful and sunny.

Many retired Admirals and Generals are in attendance, and even the Prime Minister of Japan. I find it deeply disappointing that the current US President did not see fit to come and honor these events and people, (even though he will come here in about two weeks for his yearly Christmas vacation).

If any of you ever come to Hawaii, please be sure and include a visit to the USS Arizona. It will be well worth your time. And, feel free to contact me about getting around, (and how to get to the USS Utah, which is not on any of the tours). -Mike
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 7 December 1941

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mike,
It is a solemn day in History. I plan on coming to visit one day. ( if just to see your armor ) I'll give you plenty of advance notice so you can be out of town or lay in extra BBQ.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Three days later, on the 10th, we lost the Battleships HMS Prince of Wales, and HMS Repulse, to Japanese torpedo and bomb attacks. Over 800 sailors died. The irony of it all, is that the Japanese based their Pearl Harbour
strategy on the British torpedo bomber attack on the Italian Fleet at Taranto, in November, 1940. The attack on the British capital ships (they had no air defence in place), also employed the same principles. :thumbdown:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

PainlessWolf wrote:Mike,
I plan on coming to visit one day. ( if just to see your armor ) I'll give you plenty of advance notice so you can be out of town or lay in extra BBQ.
regards,
Painless
Family members are known to sneak up on each other for the same reasons.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric

Return to “Historic Events / Days to remember”