Michael Wittmann Tiger Ace

This section is for talk about real historic events, battles or anything like it.
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Re: Michael Wittmann Tiger Ace

Post by DymondTank »

Great trip going round Normandy . Seeing the history or Normandy invasion . From the beaches the gun emplacements . To the graves of all nations who were their fighting .
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Speaking as an Historian, I feel it important to point out that Wittman was a true believer - a dyed in the wool member of the Nazi Party who joined before membership came mandatory. He is credibly linked to crimes against humanity. He was no hero, and deserves no accolades as such. This isn’t a matter of “winners writing the history.” It’s simply a matter of record.

Edit:

Probably also worth noting that many of his “kills” were unarmed vehicles, not tanks. According to a British veteran I spoke to, off the record as I can’t provide citation, one of those kills was being used as an ambulance.

Despite the problematic histories written about him, you’d be better served by looking into the career of someone like Kurt Knispel.
Last edited by Mithras on Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Or Otto Carius.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

I think the SS unit he was attached to was involved in the murder of some Captured Canadians, at a chateau.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Here's a summary of 12th SS massscres of Canadian POWs.
https://www.junobeach.org/canada-in-wwi ... massacres/

As historians/researchers/authors look into more sources other than just generals' puffed up memoires and military college textbooks, it becomes pretty obvious that the Wehrmacht (Heer, Luftwaffe, etc) was a pretty nasty group and had few qualms about joining in on SS and Einsatzgruppen--and their likes--activities. The days of the "clean" Wehrmacht are long over. And that's a good thing.

Mike.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

I feel like I just posted somewhere on the forum recently about the Nazi Propaganda and it's so called "Tank Aces".
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think:
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Mithras wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:03 am Speaking as an Historian, I feel it important to point out that Wittman was a true believer - a dyed in the wool member of the Nazi Party who joined before membership came mandatory. He is credibly linked to crimes against humanity. He was no hero, and deserves no accolades as such. This isn’t a matter of “winners writing the history.” It’s simply a matter of record.

Edit:

Probably also worth noting that many of his “kills” were unarmed vehicles, not tanks. According to a British veteran I spoke to, off the record as I can’t provide citation, one of those kills was being used as an ambulance.

Despite the problematic histories written about him, you’d be better served by looking into the career of someone like Kurt Knispel.
Mr Mithras. May I please use your writings? With full credit to yourself, to assist in giving others correct information.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

ColemanCollector wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:05 pm Here's a summary of 12th SS massscres of Canadian POWs.
https://www.junobeach.org/canada-in-wwi ... massacres/

As historians/researchers/authors look into more sources other than just generals' puffed up memoires and military college textbooks, it becomes pretty obvious that the Wehrmacht (Heer, Luftwaffe, etc) was a pretty nasty group and had few qualms about joining in on SS and Einsatzgruppen--and their likes--activities. The days of the "clean" Wehrmacht are long over. And that's a good thing.

Mike.
I found that truly shocking. I didn’t realise there had been so many..
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Meter rat wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:14 pm
Mithras wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:03 am Speaking as an Historian, I feel it important to point out that Wittman was a true believer - a dyed in the wool member of the Nazi Party who joined before membership came mandatory. He is credibly linked to crimes against humanity. He was no hero, and deserves no accolades as such. This isn’t a matter of “winners writing the history.” It’s simply a matter of record.

Edit:

Mr Mithras. May I please use your writings? With full credit to yourself, to assist in giving others correct information.
Of course, my friend, feel free. You flatter me:)
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.

Return to “Historic Events / Days to remember”