Michael Wittmann Tiger Ace

This section is for talk about real historic events, battles or anything like it.
Jonty500
Recruit

Michael Wittmann Tiger Ace

Post by Jonty500 »

I
Michael Wittmann one of the most successful Tank Commanders of WW2 in one operation in his Tiger he took out seven allied tanks in one afternoon
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Re: Michael Wittmann Tiger Ace

Post by DymondTank »

Regarding Michael Whittmann I do agree he was a tiger ace . But it is quite bizzare how people say he is a hero . Which is mad . We do forget he fought for a regime . He was in a black uniform and invading a country he shouldn’t be in
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

DymondTank wrote:Regarding Michael Whittmann I do agree he was a tiger ace . But it is quite bizzare how people say he is a hero . Which is mad . We do forget he fought for a regime . He was in a black uniform and invading a country he shouldn’t be in
One might very well say that of every invading army throughout history and yet within those invading armies one can readily identify "Heroes",
And as to the black uniform British Tank crews wore black overalls and black berets.
The organisation that Wittman belonged too certainly had a dreadful reputation but to curse the Whole of the German armed forces with the same failures to follow military law both national and international as well as the various sections of the Geneva convention would be a grave mistake.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

In an effort to not cast a detailed and potentially offending opinion I simply think.
Ace Perhaps
Hero no
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

"Historybooks are written by the victorious, and the statues for the heroes are erected by the same..." Each side had their respective heroes and villains. Heroic things are sometimes done for despicable reasons, and sometimes vile things are done with the best intentions. Was Whittmann a brilliant tactician and tanker? Probably. Was he a hero? Well, for that he was on the wrong side of the conflict... But that's just my humble opinion.
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

All I can say is watch the tankies documentary specifically the filthy fith episode. The unit that encountered Whitman on that day
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Spartantracks
Recruit

Post by Spartantracks »

Just out of interest have any of you ever visited whittmans Grave? I did a couple of years ago and the cemetery is spotless but the strangest thing I noticed on this beautiful summers day there was not a sound, A huge place but not even a bird could be herd ,Even my wife noticed and thought it was odd.
Jagdtiger ...Torro
Jagdpanther....Torro
Panther F.....Torro
Panther G ....Torro
Tiger Early....Tamiya
Tiger Late...Torro
Sturmtiger....Torro
Panzer 4 .....Torro
Elefant ....Hooben
T34/85....Torro
Kingtiger...Tamiya/ Custom
Tiger 1 …….1/6 Scale Early
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Spartantracks wrote:Just out of interest have any of you ever visited whittmans Grave? I did a couple of years ago and the cemetery is spotless but the strangest thing I noticed on this beautiful summers day there was not a sound, A huge place but not even a bird could be herd ,Even my wife noticed and thought it was odd.
During the course of my Military career I visited "Belsen" Concentration Camp and again not a bird to be heard anywhere, a truly dreadful place.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

Last Easter I took a trip down Normandy and we went to Lacombe cemetery. We found out that some took the original headstone of Michael Whitmann . Don’t know why . So they replaced it and concreted it down. If you been there they usually placed and preserved neatly
Attachments
353CC241-3FD5-4B1D-840E-9114FBDF5E7A.jpeg
353CC241-3FD5-4B1D-840E-9114FBDF5E7A.jpeg (34.82 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

13 June 1944: The Battle of Villers-Bocage begins
with Michael Wittmann's ambush of the British 22nd
Armored Brigade. Wittmann's Tiger knocks out
three Stuarts, one Sherman OP, nine half-tracks, four
carriers and two anti-tank guns. He will be forced to
abandon his tank though and the battle will continue
without him, with a German follow-up attack. This
drives the British out,

https://youtu.be/DwyQ9sjNjr8
Last edited by DymondTank on Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Historic Events / Days to remember”