D-Day Memorial

This section is for talk about real historic events, battles or anything like it.
williamthedog
Private

Re: D-Day Memorial

Post by williamthedog »

While on the subject of the horrors of war and its associated pain. One of the best series to explain ww2 is being re- run on the Yesterday channel at the moment.
The World at War. Made in the early 70s it has stood the test of time.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: D-Day Memorial

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

williamthedog wrote:While on the subject of the horrors of war and its associated pain. One of the best series to explain ww2 is being re- run on the Yesterday channel at the moment.
The World at War. Made in the early 70s it has stood the test of time.
Indeed, and Laurence Olivier's beautifully enunciated commentary (a rare thing these days) gives the series extra gravitas. :thumbup:
One European MEP (Dutch, I believe) made the observation, upon our departure from the EU, that the British had shed blood twice, in the 20th century, on the European mainland to free Europe from tyranny. :|
Whilst I am 100% British (and Irish), with my earliest ancestors being in these Islands since the end of the last Ice Age; a recent DNA test (courtesy of Ancestry) gave me a contribution of 32% from Eire and the Highlands (Related tribes), 60% from Wales, Northern Ireland, Strathclyde and Northwest Europe (including Belgium, Holland, and Switzerland)- and then, amusingly enough- an 8% contribution from Norway! (Hi, Stian, distant cousin :wave: :D ).
I no longer see the European mainland as a foreign place, but as one where our European Family disputes can lead to death on an almost unimaginable scale. :thumbdown:
WW2 in colour, also a worthy series, shows on Yesterday, and Quest from time to time- along with 'Combat Dealers', 'Secret Nazi bases' and more.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Historic Events / Days to remember”