D-Day Memorial

This section is for talk about real historic events, battles or anything like it.

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:32 am

I was surprised to read this article, having expected one was already constructed, but it appears a long overdue memorial is being constructed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... andy-gets/

Glad these heroes are getting a special place :clap:
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:22 am

Yes, that's truly disgraceful.
I'm saddened that a lot of wives and relatives of those that gave up their lives so that locals could protest and delay such an overdue memorial, aren't still around to witness this recognition for their loved ones sacrifice.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:12 am

Downright shocking that Britain, which provided the largest contingent of troops on D-Day beaches, is the only nation without a permanent memorial. I wonder, is this because of an unappreciative French nation, or an indifferent British government- the one that ousted Churchill's lot at the end of the War? :think: Maybe both :/ ...
It's only in recent years the Bomber command has been awarded a memorial, despite the fact that losses of 55,573 killed (10,000 Canadian) were the highest of any WW2 fighting force- with the sole exception of German submariners.
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:44 pm

Ive been there & Trod the blood soaked earth that has gifted me and mine the lives we take for granted today.
I can say:

If is was not for the war and all its sacrifice.................there is no bloody other reason to go there. :-<
The locals cash in on the fact that their area has been fought over for a thousand years.
The beach water is cold
the ambiance is resentful
the coastal area is under resourced & run down
And generally ,the weather is shit.

Yet they live under the historical blanket granted of those sons from foreign shores who gave their lives to give them the ungrateful right to protest a belated honor to those that to them mean nothing ????

How Dare They
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Sadly these young men who made the ultimate sacrifice and now thier much older counterparts who are still with us in dwindling numbers have had two hard fought battles to claim a little piece of this ground in a foriegn land.
c.rainford73
Major

Postby Black Knight » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:16 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:Ive been there & Trod the blood soaked earth that has gifted me and mine the lives we take for granted today.
I can say:

If is was not for the war and all its sacrifice.................there is no bloody other reason to go there. :-<
The locals cash in on the fact that their area has been fought over for a thousand years.
The beach water is cold
the ambiance is resentful
the coastal area is under resourced & run down
And generally ,the weather is shit.

Yet they live under the historical blanket granted of those sons from foreign shores who gave their lives to give them the ungrateful right to protest a belated honor to those that to them mean nothing ????

How Dare They

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Black Knight
Recruit

Return to Historic Events / Days to remember