Ir range for ibu2u

Discuss the IBU2 & IBU3 here.
tgr6669
Recruit

Ir range for ibu2u

Post by tgr6669 »

I have an ibu2u installed in my Panther . What is the ir range supposed to be ? I can only get about 10 ft .
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Ir range for ibu2u

Post by Max-U52 »

I've seen several videos of the IBU making and receiving hits at about 90 feet. If you're only getting 10 feet, something is definitely wrong.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Make sure your receiver isn't nestled down between metal hull walls and not too near powerful electric motors as this could cause a decrease in range. I read that somewhere.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Are you talking about the IR emitter or IR receiver range?
If you have a short emitter range, have you accidentally configured the board to the 'repair tank' setting - I believe that is range restricted?
Also the method of mounting the emitter is important, as is fogging of the LED if superglue was involved, or the tank was painted after the emitter was mounted.
Perhaps some pictures or description of your setup would help us diagnose?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I apologize for misreading your question. I was thinking about the receiver for the mfu, not IR battle electronics.
tgr6669
Recruit

Post by tgr6669 »

The ir emitter is in a tube (6 or 9 mm back ) sticking out of the mantle. I will probably change out it bulbs and see if that helps.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Sounds like that is in the right place. You shouldn't need to replace the LED tho? Personally I'd check the solder joins? Other obvious question - have you added a resistor to the IR LED circuit? I'm not familiar with the IBU but all others are set up to power the IR led without any additional resistance
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

It can be effected by bright light but mine work at about 25-30 metres. Bright sun light On the rare occasion we get any much less if at all. The are set at the end of brass tube about 9mm back from the mantlet hole
It’s your tank it’s what you make it

Return to “IBU2 / IBU3”