How to configure the tank settings.

Discuss the IBU2 & IBU3 here.
Simonslim
Recruit

How to configure the tank settings.

Post by Simonslim »

Hi folks, just fitted a IBU2U FO, to my Torro Tiger 1, calibrated fine but how do I configure the settings.
For example,
EngineOnOff=4;0=NOT_USED, 1=UPSX_DIAG, 2=UPDX_DIAG, 3=DOWNSX_DIAG, 4=DOWNDX_DIAG, 5=CH5, 6=CH6, 7=CH7, 8=CH8
What do I do here, do I delete the ones not wanted, or do I highlight the one I want.
I have been through the forums and found nothing on the actual how to bit for computer numpties, it may sound simple to folk who know their way round software hieroglyphs, but to me and I'm sure plenty of others it's dark magic, plus what happens if I press the wrong button. :P
I've been in the "ini" files and even when it states microSD root, that has me lost, what is an sd root.
I'm not totally green when it comes to rc, I've been flying for 30 years, everything from micro indoor planes to 6m wingspan full composite gilders to 20kg 1/4 scale warbirds where the only thing you programmed was your tx, which mine is 32ch, everything else was mechanical, electrical or pneumatic.
Any layman's type ifo would be much appreciated.

Simon[tank virgin]
Simon.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: How to configure the tank settings.

Post by tomhugill »

The SD root is basically the first folder you confirm me to when you open the SD card on your pc. On the ibu2ufo is a little confusing because there are config.ini files in the sub folders where the other sound sets are.

It's the top level one you need to edit.

I've personally not edited the settings you have but as a general rule you just ammend the text after the "=" sign.

I remember the manual mentioned the programming side quite a bit
Simonslim
Recruit

Post by Simonslim »

I've read the manual Tom and it is quite comprehensive but it does assume that people know how to edit these files.
Ammend the text after the "=" sign. I'm lost there too, sorry.
Simon.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

The first part is the actual parameter. Anything after the semi-colon is for documentation purposes and does not carry any value. It is just to show you what the options are. So in this case all you have to do is to change EngineOnOff=4 (i.e. if option 4 is what you want) and leave everything else alone including the semi-colon after the option setting.
Simonslim
Recruit

Post by Simonslim »

And say for instance I wanted it on ch5 would I simply change it to EngineOnOff=5;0=NOT_USED, 1=UPSX_DIAG, 2=UPDX_DIAG, 3=DOWNSX_DIAG, 4=DOWNDX_DIAG, 5=CH5, 6=CH6, 7=CH7, 8=CH8
Simon.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Simonslim wrote:And say for instance I wanted it on ch5 would I simply change it to EngineOnOff=5;0=NOT_USED, 1=UPSX_DIAG, 2=UPDX_DIAG, 3=DOWNSX_DIAG, 4=DOWNDX_DIAG, 5=CH5, 6=CH6, 7=CH7, 8=CH8
Yup.
Simonslim
Recruit

Post by Simonslim »

And it was really as simple as that. It was more the terminology that I couldn't get my head around, once I had that sorted it was full steam ahead.
Thanks MichaelC and Tom. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Simon.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

No problem. On the otherhand if you have a IBU3 you will need a computer science degree to configure it........... Not for the faint of hearts I tell you.
Simonslim
Recruit

Post by Simonslim »

This is my first venture into rc tanks. Already looking at a second though.
Simon.
easy8
Private

Post by easy8 »

MichaelC wrote:No problem. On the otherhand if you have a IBU3 you will need a computer science degree to configure it........... Not for the faint of hearts I tell you.
I think there is a misunderstanding. For almost any tank-controller on the market now, you need a computer to set up. There are boards that are delivered with a pre-defined transmitter (mostly from the same provider) that already communicates with the tank-controller. So these are basically simpel to implement. But the functionality of these boards is limited and mostly based on factory settings. But if you are a "tanker" that wants more controls and do more than out-of-the-box functionality the IBU boards are more than suitable. However you need to invest some time and figure out how these boards work and communicate with a transmitter. In my opinion IBU3 is a board, that works with a user-friendly computer interface and I think the manufacturer has understood the question on the market that most of these tank-controller-boards are too much complicated to implement.

I successfully implemented the IBU3 board on my project but I can inform you that most of the effort is not programming or the set-up of the IBU3 board: most of the effort goes into the set-up of the transmitter that communicates with the board. The set up of the IBU3 board is a) very well documented and b) simpel by means of the IBU3 configurator software. I think you do not need to have a degree on computer science but I think you should have knowledge about how a modern transmitter works. Michael, if you want to have information about my set up, please PM me......

Return to “IBU2 / IBU3”