An idiots guide to fitting an IBU2 board

Discuss the IBU2 & IBU3 here.
anglosaxon
Recruit

An idiots guide to fitting an IBU2 board

Post by anglosaxon »

Hello all,I think just my opinion mind,We older blokes who come into RC tanking via an initial interest in the war and the history,have just a little understanding of computers and digital radio, so a little more of an explanation of the components and what they do on the IBU2 board would be of great help,It would be helpful if someone with a good insight to the board could right an idiots guide to fitting the IBU2 board, a guide without the presumption the fitter has any knowledge of the intricacies of computer programing,speaking to members who have a little knowledge of these things say the board is a great bit of kit, it just needs an easier fitting guide in my opinion, one that an old idiot can use, we old blokes are the ones with the money to spend, make the fitting guide easier and they might sell more .A guide which can be used a bit at a time and we can come back to it and fit the board and understand it at our own pace.P.S. If you want your 1956 triumph thunderbird rewiring im your man.This is my own humble opinion,
anglosaxon
Recruit

Re: An idiots guide to fitting an IBU2 board

Post by anglosaxon »

anglosaxon wrote:Hello all,I think just my opinion mind,We older blokes who come into RC tanking via an initial interest in the war and the history,have just a little understanding of computers and digital radio, so a little more of an explanation of the components and what they do on the IBU2 board would be of great help,It would be helpful if someone with a good insight to the board could right an idiots guide to fitting the IBU2 board, a guide without the presumption the fitter has any knowledge of the intricacies of computer programing,speaking to members who have a little knowledge of these things say the board is a great bit of kit, it just needs an easier fitting guide in my opinion, one that an old idiot can use, we old blokes are the ones with the money to spend, make the fitting guide easier and they might sell more .A guide which can be used a bit at a time and we can come back to it and fit the board and understand it at our own pace.P.S. If you want your 1956 triumph thunderbird rewiring im your man.This is my own humble opinion,
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Have you checked this section in full? Pretty sure everything you need is here, you just need to put in the leg work.
anglosaxon
Recruit

Post by anglosaxon »

Well after checking every page, quote, remark on rc tankwarfare i cant find an idiots guide to the IBU2 board
outlaw_825th
Recruit

Post by outlaw_825th »

I just wish I still had my old Triumph Thunderbird :( It was a 54 cafe racer before it was dismantled and pretty much given away!

Cant help you on the IBU though, sorry
Paul Cheeseman
Panther G, Panzer IV, Tiger 1, Roni has her King Tiger and now a Panzer IV.
And can see more arriving at regular intervals!
Running Open Panzer + Benedini mini on the Panther and King Tiger 8)
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

anglosaxon wrote:Well after checking every page, quote, remark on rc tankwarfare i cant find an idiots guide to the IBU2 board
There's an idiots guide for how to install on the website, it's called the manual...

But as to specific questions you might have to delve a bit on here.
davejay
Recruit

Post by davejay »

I agree with Anglo, there is a definite need for a 'laymans' guide to not only the IBU but also some of the other electronic brains that control our mobile works of art!
And most definitely and generally us "oldies" are the ones with the dosh, I've just shelled out on the HL Tiger 1 pro, ripped it to pieces, swapped out to a Taigen metal lower hull, metal turret, metal wheels etc etc, just need to get rid of the otherwise rubbish electronics!!
I would have thought that 'plug and play ' should mean just that!
Not having a rant just observationising!!!...........just needs this great hobby to be not quite so complex at least until we get in to the realms of the big stuff!!!! (dreams of 1/6th scale are already happening!)

Dave
Tanks for the memory?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you want a plug and play for your Tiger I suggest you buy the Taigen V2/V3 Control board,
About £70 for the kit which includes instructions a transmitter, Sound Module,uprated Speaker and Control Board and all necessary cables. Available from ---
www.forgebeartanks.com
And----
www.rctank.de
But it is only marginally better than the latest Heng Long control board,
The Clark board is harder to program than it needs to be and the best plug and play control board is as rare as unicorn droppings that's the ASP2/3.
The Elmod Fusion is brilliant but it is not the most user friendly Board available,
The IBU2/3 is not as difficult as all that and plenty of users will help if you ask.
My only issue with the IBU2 is it takes up more space than I have available in a Panzer 4 whereas a Taigen V2/3 and a Clark T22 are the same size as the Heng Long board and the ASP2 is only slightly larger.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
davejay
Recruit

Post by davejay »

jarndice wrote:If you want a plug and play for your Tiger I suggest you buy the Taigen V2/V3 Control board,
About £70 for the kit which includes instructions a transmitter, Sound Module,uprated Speaker and Control Board and all necessary cables. Available from ---
http://www.forgebeartanks.com
And----
http://www.rctank.de
But it is only marginally better than the latest Heng Long control board,
The Clark board is harder to program than it needs to be and the best plug and play control board is as rare as unicorn droppings that's the ASP2/3.
The Elmod Fusion is brilliant but it is not the most user friendly Board available,
The IBU2/3 is not as difficult as all that and plenty of users will help if you ask.
My only issue with the IBU2 is it takes up more space than I have available in a Panzer 4 whereas a Taigen V2/3 and a Clark T22 are the same size as the Heng Long board and the ASP2 is only slightly larger.
Really appreciate that info, thank you. Made it slightly more easier to choose now. I was tempted with the Taigen V3 set but was concerned it would only be marginally better. Think I will go for the IBU 2U with the speaker set up and smoker unit, heck I might even do the recoil/elevation bit too!!!

Thanks again,

Dave
Tanks for the memory?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

As Tom has suggested, It's worth trawling through the 'search' option for usable info on the IBU2. Put another way, it's like panning for gold- but in time (and it does take time and patience)- you will find some: there's plenty to be had here.
A few years ago, I knew nothing about RC Tanks, and indeed zilch about the RC hobby at all. :| By asking the right questions, however, by trial and error, and by minimising blunders so they don't work out expensive, it is possible to get into the hobby and- more importantly- enjoy it :thumbup: I have, and so have many others sporting silver locks. ;)
I've fitted two IBU2s and, much to my own surprise, got them to do what they are claimed to do. They are largely plug and play, and only the Dip Switch settings may require a bit of head scratching.
http://www.ibu-electronics.com/doc/IBU2_manual_V5_0.pdf
Setup is even easier if your new warhorse isn't destined to battle with others. My tanks, for example, are mostly airsoft, as I'm nowhere near a shootout club. Thus I don't have to worry about IR and 'battle damage settings' etc.
In short, so long as you connect your receiver up correctly, and plug components into the correct sockets, it doesn't take too long to get a tank up and clanking with this board installed.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “IBU2 / IBU3”