New to this

Discuss the IBU2 & IBU3 here.
Nightrider
Recruit

New to this

Post by Nightrider »

Hi all
I am very green when it comes to the tank control systems but looking around at the various ones available I would like to fit a IBU-3 because it seems to have the best of the sounds and the way of delivering them having watched various YouTube vids but to be honest I have not a clue when it comes to fitting it
I have a taigen kv1 and I understand I need a better controller with more channels to run the ibu but do you use the taigen receiver or remove it for a new one that I presume comes with the new hand set and also how do you marry the reciver up with the ibu
And it says you can use a 12 volt system to power the tank is this worth exploring or not should I stick to the 7.2 system
Just the basics for now please as I am gathering all my pieces for a build later on
But when I say basics it looks like a lot to answer already .
Cheers Ben.
Kv1
c.rainford73
Major

Re: New to this

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hello Ben Mr Tankbear is our resident IBU expert and can guide you through the IBU purchase and setup etc...

For the Clark tk60 board Mr Maxmekker is the best I know. He sells them and sets the Clark board up for you too.

Both men are very helpful and informative.

I use a 7.4 volt lipo in my tanks. 2 cell setup is my favorite.

Once you change to an upgraded board you will need a hobby grade radio and receiver with a minimum of 4-6 channels and the stock Mfu rx18 gets removed.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Nightrider
Recruit

Post by Nightrider »

c.rainford73 wrote:Hello Ben Mr Tankbear is our resident IBU expert and can guide you through the IBU purchase and setup etc...

For the Clark tk60 board Mr Maxmekker is the best I know. He sells them and sets the Clark board up for you too.

Both men are very helpful and informative.Image

I use a 7.4 volt lipo in my tanks. 2 cell setup is my favorite.

Once you change to an upgraded board you will need a hobby grade radio and receiver with a minimum of 4-6 channels and the stock Mfu rx18 gets removed.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Carl
When you say you use a 7.4 lipo 2 cell setup do you mean two battery packs tied in together so you get better amps.
Cheers Ben.
Kv1
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Lipo batteries cell voltage is 3.7v therefore a 2cell is 7.4v equivalent to the normal 7.2v battery.

Regarding should you use 12v battery. Not for your kv1, if say you had a modern tank then the higher voltage battery would give better speed and be more realistic.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Ben, lipo comes in 1S, 2S, 3S form factors. Each "S" is the equivalent of 3.7v. In this case for Clark which uses 7.2v you would get the 2S lipo which supplies 7.4v nominal charges. For IBUs you have the opiton of using 3S lipos as well, which carries 11.1v norminal charge.

So you don't need to strap battery packs together yourself, you just need to get the right form factor of lipos.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Is an IBU3 really the best board for a beginner? I'm not so sure, 3 years into this hobby and I was ready to shoot mine! I still have nitemares about it and wake up in a cold sweat screaming!

Ians level of support is second to none but I'd be afraid to recommend an IBU3 to a beginner. IBU2 or IBU2 PRO all day long because they are so much easier to set up and do programming to.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I have to agree with Jack on this one, the IBU3 will be a real challenge for a new guy, unless you have quite a bit of prior RC experience in other areas or a degree in computer science, but since (no disrespect intended) our OP doesn't seem to know lipos I'd guess he lacks the experience for an IBU3. Just my opinion, and we all know about opinions, right? They're like arseholes - everyone has one, most of them stink.

I also agree about Ian being the greatest, but I still say start with an IBU2 Base or Pro.

:wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Nightrider
Recruit

Post by Nightrider »

Max-U52 wrote:I have to agree with Jack on this one, the IBU3 will be a real challenge for a new guy, unless you have quite a bit of prior RC experience in other areas or a degree in computer science, but since (no disrespect intended) our OP doesn't seem to know lipos I'd guess he lacks the experience for an IBU3. Just my opinion, and we all know about opinions, right? They're like arseholes - everyone has one, most of them stink.

I also agree about Ian being the greatest, but I still say start with an IBU2 Base or Pro.

:wave:
Indeed as you say I don't even know about lipos but I do now and that's why I asked the questions in the first place but I do take in to account what you say about the ibu3 being hard to install to someone with no experience in the control systems but the sound files on the ibu2 don't seem to run as well as the ibu3 and that's one of the things what I really would like.
So I am willing to learn about the ibu3 and what's needed
Kv1
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I expect I shall not be the only one who says that the sound files on the IBU2 are as good as YOU want them to be,
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Whoops Double Post, :{
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “IBU2 / IBU3”