IBU3 questions

Discuss the IBU2 & IBU3 here.
jackalope
Lieutenant

IBU3 questions

Post by jackalope »

Ok so I went out and bought a new windows 10 laptop, we downloaded the IBU 3 Configuration 1.0.0.3. The IBU3 icon opens up the IBU3 window that has the setup button, test button, firmware upgrade button, port button and so on. When I click on the COM port no options are in the drop down box? When I click on the set up button it flashes to a screen that says synchronizing in progress but nothing else happens.

Now this is a brand new just out of the box HP note book laptop with windows 10 and we downloaded the stuff directly off the rc tank electronics Web site and followed the instructions. .... well my daughter did cause I'm an idiot apparently.

I can plug the tank in and turn it on the lights on the board show its hooked up but again no com port drops down. This is where I'm stuck.
Jimigood
Private

Re: IBU3 questions

Post by Jimigood »

I'm curious about this. I use Windows 10/Ubuntu. I would like to know if the ibu3 is compatible.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey, have you installed the virtual com port software? If you're not seeing any ports this could be the issue. If you have installed it might be worth installing and reinstalling. I found the 1.4 version didn't work with my PC and I had to use 1.3
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Yep you need to install the USB driver like Tom says.

I did originally package it with the software but people complained so now it's a separate download.

Also did a quick start guide here

http://www.rctankelectronics.com/upload ... _guide.pdf

USB drivers here

http://www.rctankelectronics.com/upload ... rivers.zip
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I'll try it when I get home this afternoon.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Installed the driver from the above link, un-zipped them and nothing. It still doesn't see a port to talk to the tank from. I think you should have left the download as 1 packet rather then splitting it up into different downloads. I was able to download and install ALL the original IBU3 stuff but all this new split up up date stuff is a train wreck!

Its not cool to have to wait for my computer engineer daughter to have to come home to help me figure out my toy tank. And yes this is on my brand new laptop with windows 10 so I know everything is the newest latest up to date stuff.

Not giving you any hell Ian but this really needs to be made simpler my friend. To me a hobby is supposed to be a fun past time not something that frustrates you so bad you want to throw it away. Maybe I'm just too stupid for the IBU3. :think:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Have you tried installing the other version of the driver? There's a 1.3 and 1.4, only one version worked for me. If you're not seeing ports sounds like the drivers not installed properly!
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

I installed the version Ian linked to above, why is there more then 1 version?

Sounds more and more to me like they should have ironed this programming out a little more before selling the units. I've been seeing posts popping up on other boards as well talking about programing problems with the IBU3.

Ian, if I can't get it working by tomorrow afternoon then you need to send me an IBU2 board so I can have this thing working for my first meet, PLEASE! If this 1 wont work and you send the IBU2 it MUST be here no later then Thursday the 18th. I'll send you the IBU3 back and they can pass each other in the mail. I'll keep the 2 Flysky radios I bought from you but right now I need a board that works for me in my Jagdtiger. It's been over 2 months, 2 trips across the Atlantic and 4 different laptops including 1 brand new that I bought just for the IBU3 and still it has problems.

I KNOW I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree or the sharpest tool in the shed but this isn't even remotely cool anymore.
lukehallbland
Recruit

Post by lukehallbland »

Hi Jackalope,

Sorry if someone is already helping you and has suggested this, but please can you plug in the board, provide power to it via a battery pack (it does not appear to get enough power through a USB port alone) and then open up the device manager and tell me it claims there's an unknown device.

If you're not sure how to get to device manager this might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slv0oALx-s0
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Try the 1.4 virtual com port:

http://www.ibu-electronics.com/pc_configurator_30.html

Make sure you uninstall the other one first!

Btw have the com port drivers installed properly? I think they should apparel in your start menu under programs.

Return to “IBU2 / IBU3”