IBU3

Discuss the IBU2 & IBU3 here.
Big N00b
Recruit

Re: IBU3

Post by Big N00b »

Tankbear wrote:
Big N00b wrote:Spent the day messing with setup - I had a problem (with my brain) trying to run the configuration software with a Viper as master volume controller - I "discovered" that if you try to set the IBU to "see" it on a particular channel and it is only plugged into the receiver channel, all the sounds go away - can't play them at all...

Finally just didn't tell it anything in the configurator and configured the xmtr knob only and everything is fine, volume control etc.

After having fun with that, I'd say it actually only took 15 minutes to set up what I wanted (without finessing default settings). Can say the "reset" works fine if you need to use it.

Sound volume on the FRS8 is fairly decent, I think it falls right on the line of being over-driven at max, but I just had the speaker sitting on my work mat and not in any enclosure.

Overall, nifty little box.
Viper? You don’t need to use a Viper the volume feature is built into the IBU3. Go to the radio setup page and set “Master Volume” to channel 5-6 to match a rotary knob on the radio. If you want to use the manual volume pot you can but I think you remove the AB jumper plug.

On the speaker front agree the FRS8 and FR10 speakers are just starting to distort at higher volumes but I think once built into a box it should help the control.

Ian.
I didn't quite get that from looking at the manual ( ;) ) but it answers a question I had considering the hook-up of the Viper as POT replacement.

The other item I noticed regards the coloring in the pictures and wording in quick start and manual of the connector cables (brown, red, orange) vs physical black, red, white...

Don't forget, I am a "big n00b" at this and if I didn't have any experience with PC electronics, that would have been a stumper question for many new to tankers.
theibuman wrote:There's a nice user manual out there .... :haha: :haha: :haha:

:D Good one...

Didn't blow it up or burn down the house, so over all, a good day!! :D

Terry
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Yeah good point on the servo leads.

Have you got it running yet?
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Big N00b
Recruit

Post by Big N00b »

Tankbear wrote:Yeah good point on the servo leads.

Have you got it running yet?
Yeah, I had the board doing all the basic function (meaning sounds) via the stick controls/knobs before I posted. Was actually impressive when I started up the engine yesterday, the first step.

All I need to do now is build my tank - look for the build thread to start soon.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Damn mail man came 40 min before I got home, missed it today. Hopefully at the post office tomorrow after work.
silverexpress01
Recruit

Post by silverexpress01 »

Hello Everyone,

Received my IBU3 yesterday evening. The setup is as follows,

Tank: Taigen Sherman 75mm ( have Dremel handy!)
Tx: Futaba T8fg Super
RX: Frsky TFR8SB (Normal/FS mode 14ms)
Speaker: OEM (for now - till I make an enclosure for FRS7-4 ohm)
LiPo: 5000mah 35c 2s
Smoke: Tarr 3 (not yet installed)

Questions/Experience on the Configuration software and in particular - radio calibration.

1. Going thru the calibration, I wanted left/right turn on my left stick (rudder - as in a mode 2 tx), but the Configuration would not recognize the stick pwm. It however associated by its own self the gear channel (3 position switch) for left/right turn.

I fixed this by re-assigning the function to the appropriate stick motion via from within the Futaba tx setup menu.

2. Similarly, the configuration software assigned channels 5 and 6 to a knob on my radio, and likewise 7 and 8 ended up on another single knob. When I state 'assigned', it means that I had no other choice -all other sticks, switches and sliders went unrecognized during calibration.

I moved 5/6 to a 3 position switch within the tx menu. I also assigned the start/stop to channel 5, but this is peculiar because if I chose to toggle channel 6, it would shut off the engine.

So, in future revisions to the software, would it be possible to separate channels 5/6 and 7/8. Allowing us users to assign these individual channels to individual buttons, switches, sliders..etc...

Anyone else experience the same thing? I ask because this might be due to the Frsky vs Futaba not playing nice with each other. This is the first time I've tried this combination. I do have a Futaba rx that I will be trying in its place soon.

3. Lastly, the resolution for the Inertia graph is a bit high. Would it be possible to have user defined steps in an upcoming rev?

That's it for now.
Last edited by silverexpress01 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Thanks for your input silverexpress01.

I've not used that radio and module combination, but have used the following

All flysky
Flysky & turnigy
All turnigy
Turnigy radio and frsky module

And didn't have issues. But in all instances I had previously programmed the radios so channels 1-4 on sticks, 5&6 on on/off switches, 7&8 on rotary knobs.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Inertia graph you can drag the line to make your own curve.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
theibuman
Private

Post by theibuman »

Hi Paul,
Glad you put the unit into a Chally, fine tune the engine sound setup and you'll have a winner.
BTW me too have a Challenger on the list, but the list is too long and sadly i have only a little of spare time.
For now one IBU3 is carrying around a 1/6 scale Pz. II, and i have a couple of Stuart waiting for ...
Cheers
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Finally was able to get it at the post office! Thank goodness! The cost of this thing I'd have had a heart attack if it got lost.

Now to figure out how I want to set it up in my Jagdtiger.
Big N00b
Recruit

Post by Big N00b »

Today's big news - the Flysky i10 went stick wacky and would not send signals. Also quit sounding the startup alarm for stick/switch being out of proper positions.

Only thing that may be different was the battery was charged yesterday before shut down.

Talked with support and they hadn't had that one before. Unit sent back to Florida to be checked out...bummer. :(

Return to “IBU2 / IBU3”