UK Local Clubs

For discussion of new and existing clubs, organisation of meets and other similar topics. Please use this board for discussion, the Clubs around the world board is for listings only.
wibblywobbly
Major

UK Local Clubs

Post by wibblywobbly »

Update: In order to respect RCTW forum members, I suggest that any posts made under this thread regarding meets clearly state whether the suggested meet is informal, eg getting together with like minded hobbyists, or whether the meeting is being organised by a club. The post should state whether the meeting is being held totally free of charge, whether the poster is acting on behalf of an organised club/forum, and, if there are any fees what those fees are.

If no fees are mentioned forum members will rightly assume that there are none. It is against forum rules to advertise, and I would not like this thread to become entangled in a breach of the rules due to a lack of transparency.

Although there are a couple of UK clubs mentioned here, are there any others that members haven't made public? There are literally thousands of RC Tanks in the UK, and plenty are sold every week on Ebay...so where do they all go?

Looking at the state of the hobby at the moment, the one thing that puts people off getting people involved is travelling costs, and accommodation. Eg The cost of travelling 50 miles to play with a plastic tank for a few hours probably outweighs the enjoyment factor for most. If it's a weekend thing, then you either have to camp (and go without washing/proper food) for 2-3 days, or pay for B&B or hotel accommodation. In short, the cost of one weekend would be more than a tank costs.

There are 63,000,000 people in the UK, probably only 15-20 people out of this number are interested enough in RC tanks to travel to play with them.

So, the solution is either to leave tanks on a shelf gathering dust, which is a bit of a waste of money, or find out whether there are enough people locally to join up, find somewhere to set up a battlefield, either temporarily or permanently, and meet up as often as they want to.

If you are reading this and would like to meet up in the UK, then why not add your location to this thread. There may be someone near to you that you are totally unaware of.

You don't need to form a club or anything, just people playing with tanks and having a laugh. Nothing more, no commitment and no cost. Some people build tanks that battle, using IR systems, some use BB's, and some build tracked vehicles with no battle systems at all. Maybe someone even has a garden that they would be happy to host a meet in?

If you don't let people know that you would like to meet up, then no one will know that you want to, so add your location here and see what happens. We will know from the interest that is shown here whether this will work, if no one adds their name then we know that no one is interested in meeting up.

I am on the eastern outskirts of Bristol in the Longwell Green area. :wave:
Last edited by wibblywobbly on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
scalawag

Re: UK Local Clubs

Post by scalawag »

Hi

Not aware of any clubs that close to where I live (50 miles would be ok :D ). I would certainly enjoy meeting up with like minded RC tankers. Not into battling at the moment but might be persuaded. :haha:

I'm on the SE coast, Eastbourne East Sussex.
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi I live in Grantham, lincs
I have approached our local park councillor about the possibility of using an area in one of our local parks ( its an old filled in outdoor swimming pool about 30m x 60m) for a combined use of tanking and off road model cars. The good news is they did not say no straight away but said it would be brought up at the next meeting, so I'm waiting to hear back from them.
Denzil
opp's you said get off the road
Horses45
Corporal

Post by Horses45 »

I know that thier is a group towards Manchester but it's trying to get with working weekends and shifts, but living in Matlock Derbyshire I hope to try and get but always welcome to meet people with similar interests .but I'm always open for a cuppa and chat as I'm new to this and have loads to learn.
Torro King Tiger , Torro KV-2 , Torro M-16 half track , 2xTaigen Tigers
HL King Tiger , HL KV-1 , HL Tiger , HL Bulldog , HL Pershing , HL Sherman
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Hi all

I live in highbridge .near weston super mare !
Legioniw3
Recruit

Post by Legioniw3 »

Hi all, I have just joined the forum, as I am thinking about setting up an IR Tank Battle area at my airsoft site. I would love to hear some ideas, and views from people who know about these tanks. I was thinking about using Tamiya Battle System, with about 8 tiger tanks. We have a large building that is unused at the skirmish site, and where thinking about building a 1/16 town in it, and running battles there.

Many thanks in advance
LongGoneJohn
Private

Post by LongGoneJohn »

tankers are scarce round here. Portsmouth, Hants
Would you put your brain in a robot body?
LongGoneJohn
Private

Post by LongGoneJohn »

Bump
Would you put your brain in a robot body?
lister fiend
Sergeant

Post by lister fiend »

Legioniw3 wrote:Hi all, I have just joined the forum, as I am thinking about setting up an IR Tank Battle area at my airsoft site. I would love to hear some ideas, and views from people who know about these tanks. I was thinking about using Tamiya Battle System, with about 8 tiger tanks. We have a large building that is unused at the skirmish site, and where thinking about building a 1/16 town in it, and running battles there.

Many thanks in advance
hi legion,
where abouts are you located?
i'm about 50 miles from long gone john & about 100 from scalawag.
i get down to eastbourne a few times a year for the speedway.
i missed this post, first time around so thanks for the bump lgj :thumbup:
although there doesn't seem to be that much interest :thumbdown:
i certainly intend to camp at happy jakes sometime this year, once it warms up quite a bit! :haha:
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

I’ve not added to this post as I attended a group in Manchester which is just over 50miles drive for me. Apart from this and the one at happy Jakes I don’t think there are any others. I know Denzil is enquiry about one in North Lincoln area.

We’ve talked about a full weekend meeting which might make the trip more worth while compared to a day event, but it never happened last year so maybe this year.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com

Return to “Club Discussion”