WW2 medals insignia and memorabilia

This board is for discussion of replica or original uniforms and equipment (such as rifles, mg's, airsoft).
Topper
Corporal

Re: WW2 medals insignia and memorabilia

Post by Topper »

Dont be too hard my yourself,I didnt know it was there
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"Dont be too hard my yourself,I didnt know it was there." :haha: What fun! I have an excuse: see 's Mick's comment, "we have so many old people here, it is like an old people's home." Hey, where's the smilie for old age. Oh, now I see it: :eh: or maybe :thumbdown:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

All right here goes,
Since it's around 4 degrees fahrenheit outside there's nothing that's going to happen there. I'll also thank the guys as my "man cave" (I prefer "bunker") really needed a dusting. So I can dust, take pictures, stay warm, and share them on the Forum.

Various ordinance, thing's that go bang.

Imperial trench knife.

Armband and WHW tinnies.

Tinnies and my Father's second or third cousin (No, not the dog. The man is Emmerich, the dog is Eve) :) .

ImageImage
See any family resemblance?

Japanese bayonet, Native American war club.

My Uncle Raywald and his trophies.

Tinnies and stickpins, etc.

More tinnies and a 1916 saw back butcher bayonet by Alex Coppel of Solingen.

Tinnies, shoulder boards, NSDAP membership pins, ribbon bars, SA sports badge, etc.

DJ buckle, tinnies, buttons, ribbon bars, hunting association pins, etc.

SA dagger, RAD EM hewer.

Mint, matching numbers, 1942 K98 bayonet.

Trench art, K98 stock made into a lamp.

1835 62 caliber, Harper's Ferry musket converted to percussion ignition. Used by the "Green Mountain Boys" in the Civil War.

M35 SS helmet, M1916, or 17 helmet, Luftschutz helmet.

Yes, a honest, unmessed with M35, 4 color, Normandy pea pattern, SS camo helmet.

Named to a certain SS Mann Georg Burkhardt.

Look close, see the SS runes under the paint?

Odds and ends, some brought back by Raywald.

My 2 Great Uncle's, Edward Bennett, and Howard Trussell. WW 1 item's of theirs.

Combat worn leggings, musette bag strap, and ammo pouch of Raywald's, various other items.

Sharp, pointy things.

WW2 beer stein, WW1 ashtrays.

Items brought back by William Henry, 3 Purple Hearts, and Bronze Star.

Ammo, Japanese relics, schnapps glasses, cased Mother's Cross in Gold, cased German WW2 award for growing tobacco.

Musket balls from Civil War, Officer of the Deck spyglass, U.S. mg wrenches.

116th Panzer Division "Windhund" side cap badge, yeah, it's real.

SS buckle, army buckle, delicate tinnie.

ImageImage
Tags to a ME 210.

Underwing access hatch to a FW 190, notice the Balken Kruez lines?

ME 109 prop pitch indicator.

B 17 engine valve.

Jackets brought back from Nam by my Uncle Butch.

RAD/wJ pennant (women's side of the organization).

Items brought back by Art Zinke.

ImageImage
Cased 1st Class Spange to the EK.

Items brought back by Elmer Gish, Bronze Star.

ImageImageImageImage
Stuff I haven't got to yet.

Civil War medals to the owner of the musket.

BMW 801 engine piston for a FW 190 made into an ashtray. Dedicated to LT. COL. Edgar V. Worrell, QMC.

Whew! Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Last edited by EAO on Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
EAO

Post by EAO »

Well, I guess I learned how to post pics pretty well...better then my photo skills. I apologize for the glare, lots of sun on fresh snow, and lots of items under glass. I agree with Topper, I also abhor fakes or reproductions. This hobby is rife with them and just gets worst over time. Most are obvious, but the more expensive, sought after items can be very hard to spot. 85% of my items have provenance, something that is priceless in this hobby. Almost all of my items have come directly from the Vet, Vet's family, estate sales, or my long list of trusted, professional dealers (yup, you will pay more through them, but they know what they're doing and will guarantee the item's).

If anyone see's anything they would like a better picture of, or more info on, let me know. If you want to see my 1943, Mauser K98, byf coded display, and/or my 1943 Winchester M1 Garand display, please see Topper's "Introduce Yourself" post that 43rdRR and I hijacked. :clap: :thumbup: :wave:

This still leaves out more Native American items, and lots of period paper items, photos, antique tobacciana, and odd's and ends. :/ I also can't forget my Uncle Raymond, WW2 USAAC. His stuff is currently up in Wisconsin where my Dad's making a display case for his stuff.

Hopefully, you'll find it interesting?! :lolno: :wtf: :think:

Cheers,
Eric.
Last edited by EAO on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:O 8O :O :O First a trickle.... now an AVALANCHE!!! :D I can't think of any German museum I've seen that holds a collection of WW2 memorabilia that's the equal of yours, Eric. :D I have one humble Alpenstock at home with lots of pin badges (Alpenstock Kleber), from Berlin and elsewhere, but nothing remotely like the period ones you have there. :)
Boy, you really take collecting seriously!. Do your guests have to pay an entry fee upon arrival? :haha:
You have some truly exquisite pieces there.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Hi-
Last edited by Topper on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Eric, I am not at all informed about military memorabilia except insofar as I use photos to help with painting figures. Yet to me your collection seems incredible, something on the order of the memorabilia in displays around the WWII hanger at the Experimental Aircraft Association in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US. I suspect you have insured all this and also provided for its future.

A side note: about ten years ago, I took my late wife's eldest grandson to the EAA. While I once again drooled around the WWII hanger aircraft and took pictures, the young fellow took pictures of all the medical supplies carried by GIs and medics. He was doing so for his mother, who is a nurse. When I saw his pictures, I realized how much I was missing by just gawking at the airplanes, a matter I soon corrected on another trip to Oshkosh.
EAO

Post by EAO »

43rdRR,

Thanks for the kind comments. I'll blame the "Polar Vortex" for the blizzard of pics (pun intended)! :lolno: I never have much down time, but I do get the "admission remark" all the time! :D Over half of this stuff was passed down through the family to me, as I'm the only one with an interest in it! :wtf: :crazy: I would have to say it's my true passion in life, followed by firearms. For the last 25 plus years I've been a hard core collector. I have no specific area of collecting, other than preferring German item's to the other combatant's, due mostly to the family connections. If it catches my eye, I'll add it to my collection (if I can afford it). I do however, have a fondness for trench art and tinnies. My Uncle Raywald handed me a batch of tinnies when I was about 8 years old, and it was love at first sight! Small, colorful, and relatively inexpensive, you could collect them for a lifetime and never get them all! Also, they are very safe to collect, as only the rarest ones are faked. Obtaining a complete series can be challenging. It took me about 6 years to get all 58 of the VDA "Wappen" shields from the 1934 WHW donation drive. The majority of them are easy and cheap to find, about 10 of them took lots of hunting for. Of course they had to be in Excellent ++ condition to match the other's. Four of them are actually foil covered cardboard and not many of them survived in good shape. I also get a lot of flak from my professional dealer friends for displaying wrong time periods together?! :eh: I know it's a WW1 Imperial trench knife displayed with live WW2 rounds for a StG44?! So what, it looks good?! Generally, when I get enough items together it goes into a Riker mount and then on the wall, regardless of time period or nationality. Quirky, but it's me!

Frank,

Thanks also for the comments. Bad photography on the SA dagger. The scabbard is indeed brown anodized, with lots of factory lacquer remaining. It's an interesting model, RZM marked M7/116 Franz Frenzel, Nixdorf. They never made early SA's as they were part of Czechoslovakia in 1933, "liberated" by Germany in 1938 and kept in business by the Germans. They never got into the game until they were annexed, which also accounts for their very high RZM designation. A fairly scarce maker. You're right about the SS, FJ, and camo items as minefields in the collecting world. I've had the SS helm in my collection for 20 plus years. I bought it directly from the Vet's wife, son and daughter. He was a member of the 101st AB and had passed only a few weeks before. I paid what many considered at the time an ungodly amount of money for it. It is now worth 10 times that amount. Over the years, I have become friends with several, well known, professional dealers in military antiques. They were kind enough to take me under their wing, so to speak, and teach me a few things. About once a year, I get a call or an email from a very well known collector of helmets here in the States inquiring if I'm ready to sell the helmet yet (he has over 150 German helmets in his collection)! :crazy: The answer is always the same...NO! The other SS items I have, came from within our family itself. There are only a few dealers that I would purchase these same items from today, of course they're way too expensive now compared to 25 years ago.

Herr Dr.,
Thank you too. Yes, we have insurance on it all, as the room is full of my firearms collection also. However; except for the K98, and M1 Garand, they are all in secure gun safes. We have no kids, so I have no idea what will come of these items upon my passing. I'm sure my Wife will out live me, so I guess it's her choice?! :wtf: 8O :/ Never thought about this before, now you have me worried! :think: Being a Wisconsin native, I've been to the EAA more times than I can count. My Uncle Raymond, WW2, USAAC, paralyzed from the waist down in 1943, was a big contributor in donations to them. He went every year and with his connections always got us in "secure, restricted" spaces. In the late 80's I was lucky enough to meet Feldwebel Oscar Boesch there. He was a volunteer with a new unit, Sturm-Staffel 1, led by Major von Kornatzki. Their goal was to stop the day bombers at all costs, including ramming them. He flew a Focke Wulf Fw 190 A-8/R8 "Sturmbock". He was shot down 8 times, flew 120 sorties, and had 18 victories. His unit suffered a 350% loss rate! He was one of only 3 known survivors. He was an amazing glider pilot and did many airshows, especially in Canada, his home after Germany, and flew up until the mid 2000's. He passed away in 2012 at age 88. I have a picture here somewhere of us together. I was also lucky enough to secure a signed artist's proof by renown aviation artist Jerry Crandall of his FW 190 (my favorite WW2 plane). You are indeed right about Oshkosh being a very special place! And sometimes the smallest items are the most moving!

Cheers and thanks gentlemen,
Eric.
Last edited by EAO on Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UP THE IRONS!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Oh WOW 8O

Well, my grandsons happy with his 17 pounder/firefly shells on his bedroom wall, and his bullet collection that I haven't got a picture of. But here's his shells :thumbup:
Attachments
20201203-114455.jpg
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
EAO

Post by EAO »

Mick,

He's lucky and you're generous. :D I have ogled them previously. You two have me beat, as I don't know anyone who has any armor, and have never been inside anything other than a M113. Never even been around a running Sherman before! :( I've always wanted a Panzer relic, the prices don't put me off, it's the darn shipping to the States that kills it for me. I've been offered a few pieces here before, but the owner's know once they have them here they can charge ungodly amounts for them and still sell the item. In the end, it would be slightly cheaper to have them shipped here from Europe. :lolno: Next time you get a chance, take some photos of your Grandson's bullet collection. I'd love to see them.

Regards,
Eric.

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Uniforms / Equipment”