Anyone collect militaria?

This board is for discussion of replica or original uniforms and equipment (such as rifles, mg's, airsoft).
Lenny Warren
Private

Anyone collect militaria?

Post by Lenny Warren »

I'm not really a modeller, I'm more into military history, military museums and collecting militaria. I've collected militaria for over 40 years, run a militaria collecting forum and write a monthly column in The Armourer magazine. Saying that, I have a soft spot for tanks, Bovington is my favourite museum ever.

Anyone else collect militaria? Here's a few pics of my collection. I've collected most things over the yers, but mainly German Belt Buckles these days...

43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Anyone collect militaria?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:O Gott mit Uns!!! Do you also trade them? When I was a kid, there were lots of war trophies floating around. My dad, uncle and other returning servicemen all had souvenirs- many of which would command a gaol sentence these days, and some of which were chucked in the Channel on the return journey (Lugers etc..). I had a 100,000 Reichsmark note, my grannie's gas mask, two iron crosses (easy to find), US sergeant stripes (plentiful supply), and many more bits. These were usually traded by swapping, as none of us had a penny to rub together (except the threepence that could be had from returning pop bottles...) :D
Image That recycling/re-using tradition ought to be brought back.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Nice!

See this too:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25243&p=239653&hilit=real#p239653
I should update that... Many items added...

1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

43rdRecceReg wrote::O Gott mit Uns!!! Do you also trade them? When I was a kid, there were lots of war trophies floating around. My dad, uncle and other returning servicemen all had souvenirs- many of which would command a gaol sentence these days, and some of which were chucked in the Channel on the return journey (Lugers etc..). I had a 100,000 Reichsmark note, my grannie's gas mask, two iron crosses (easy to find), US sergeant stripes (plentiful supply), and many more bits. These were usually traded by swapping, as none of us had a penny to rub together (except the threepence that could be had from returning pop bottles...) :D
Image That recycling/re-using tradition ought to be brought back.
I'm sure I could do you a good deal on this. ;) Me in my younger days at Winterbourne Gunner doing my NBC course.

I've bought/sold/traded all my life, mainly because I could never afford everything I wanted. I've owned most things at some stage, pistols, rifles, MGs, etc etc. but collection is a bit more limited these days. I so wish I'd kept the stuff I've had, as mucg of it is way too expensive for me now...
Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

Marco Peter wrote:Nice!
See this too:
Impressive... I do a bit of web design for militaria dealers, occasionaly get paid in items. ;) I've thining next renewal he gets me a panther track...

https://www.totalrelics.com/shop/new-it ... -panzer-v/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Marco Peter wrote:Nice!

See this too:

:clap: very impressive, Marko!. I don't know which sight is the more alluring: the fantastic Armortek Tiger 1 8O - or, the central booze display cabinet :D :thumbup:
Those tracks and 'c' hooks are also eye-catching. ;D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Nice collection Lenny and Marco!

I collect the odd few bits and pieces, Willys Jeep, Panther track, SdKfz 251 wheel, firefly 17pdr shell and resin caps, helmets, weapons etc.

Currently converting the garage into my man cave ;)
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello Lenny,

Wow, that's a lot of belt buckles! :crazy: At least they don't take up too much space!

My 1943 Winchester M1 Garand.

My "BYF" coded 1943 K98 brought back by a SW Missouri veteran. He luckily had a brother serving in the USAAF who brought it back when they ferried their B17 back home. Hence forth no "duffel cut". He picked it out of a huge pile in the Saar Region at the end of hostilities. It has 7 notches in the comb of the stock, 3 deep V cuts and 4 straight cuts. The veteran and another GI spotted it at the same time and almost came to blows over it. An NCO broke it up and made them guess how many rounds he had on him for his Thompson. Arther was closest at 320, the actual number was 340 between his rucksack and extra magazines. It is all numbers matching, except for the bolt which is all numbers matching itself. As was typical the bolts were all removed from the surrendered rifles and dumped in a pile of their own. He also picked up some ammo pouches that oddly contained TC over a crescent moon 1943 marked Turkish ammo. I have shot this rifle with that very same ammo and it is quite accurate, being about a half inch low at 100 yards. Makes sense given the conversion to meters! :D At any rate, I think I solved the reason for the different style notches. As most full power bolt action rifles do, it has a fairly good kick. Even 70 years later the deep V notches are quite unpleasant on one's cheek!

Anyhow, as you've seen the previous threads from a post run amok (I blame 43rdRR :wave: ) you're pretty much up to speed on this subject. By the way, high jacking of posts happens here sometimes, well, um, actually frequently! :haha:

Marco,

Great collection! The only thing I don't have any of is armor relics. :{ I've been offered some over the years, but once the item's get over here to the States one can basically ask any price since they are so rare here. It would probably be slightly cheaper to get the piece over there and still have it shipped here! :wtf:

Love this stuff, cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

nice
Lenny Warren
Private

Post by Lenny Warren »

EAO wrote:Hello Lenny,

Wow, that's a lot of belt buckles! :crazy: At least they don't take up too much space!

My "BYF" coded 1943 K98 brought back by a SW Missouri veteran. He luckily had a brother serving in the USAAF who brought it back when they ferried their B17 back home. Hence forth no "duffel cut". He picked it out of a huge pile in the Saar Region at the end of hostilities. It has 7 notches in the
Yeah, quite partial to a buckle or two… love the bring back story.

As mentioned I’m more into military history, museums and Militaria than modelling, but it’s all related…

Return to “Uniforms / Equipment”