MY GOOD OLD DAYS

This board is for discussion of replica or original uniforms and equipment (such as rifles, mg's, airsoft).
B_Man
Corporal

Re: MY GOOD OLD DAYS

Post by B_Man »

PershingLover wrote:Never knew you were a firearm collector! Simply amazing stuff, puts me to shame. All beautiful pieces, it's unfortunate they were sold. I don't know too much about Australian gun laws, would any of those be legal now?
You need to have a genuine reason to own any firearms in Australia (member of a gun club, farmer, animal welfare, etc) and the type of license you have dictates what type of guns you can own. There are strict regulations about how they are stored as well. As a general rule any semi or fully automatic firearms are prohibited so the bolt actions would be allowed but you would struggle with the rest unless they were inoperable and you had a collectors license.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Ah the "good old days" indeed, Herman!

I particularly like the SVT40, MP38, and the MP44 (the Great Grand Father of all selective fire weapons). I don't know what I'd do if I ever had to "surrender" my collection of firearms?! At least here in the States it hasn't come to that....yet. :/

Cheers and thanks for posting,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Impressive Herman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Have I bored you all with this tale before?
I was in the office one morning when my boss (The OC) called out "come on boy the Belgium platoon are going to the ranges". Into the Landie and followed the Daf truck to the ranges,
Still puzzled as to why we were there I watched as the troops debussed and then I saw it or rather them, 2 Thomson military .45 SMGs,
Grab'em boy came the cry so while the FNs were issued to the soldiery we commandeered 2 boxes of .45 ammo and loaded the mags.
Upto the step goes my Major, Safety to "A" and clamping the butt into his hip with a big grin amid much noise he emptied the mag down range,
The Belgium Lt had come over to watch and as the "Tommy gun" rattled away he went ever paler,
"What's wrong" I asked ? "We cannot get the spares for the Thomsons so Automatic fire is forbidden",
I put the second Thomson to my shoulder and double tapped until the mag was empty getting a very odd look from my boss and a thanks from the Lt, On the way back to the company I told the old man about the restrictions on the weapons,
"Why didn't the blo*dy man speak up" he said? As though some very junior officer was going to tell him what he could or could not do :lolno:
By the by The Thomson was a heavy gun as SMGs go but it was surprisingly accurate :thumbup:
A very fond memory of the day I fired a "Tommy Gun".
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Wow Mr. Bix I just stumbled in here. I am amazed with your collection and never expected you to be such a small arms connoisseur. I know you mentioned you had to liquidate all of your treasures when you moved to Australia, but I missed where you were living when you amassed this collection?
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

There's something about the gawky spindliness of a Mosin that makes me smile. I recently had the opportunity and fun of firing my sons' Mosin, Kar98, Carcano and Lee Enfield No1 mkIII. For accuracy, I was best with the Mosin, but when it comes to "feel", I had to go with SMLE. Probably a bit biased since I restored it back from sporter to full furniture for him. Of course, the other son says, "So I've got this no4 mk1 that needs full furniture. Huh, Dad?"
But dang, that Mosin was a nice surprise!
A beautiful collection, Herman. Must be a bit sad to look back on it all, but it is just "stuff" as somebody once said.
Mike.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Certainly did feel the pangs of loss folks. I was in New Zealand when I had these Mr Chef, it was a veritable back water of global firearms but wow we had some rare and desirable pieces.
I reach the stage where I was recognisable at any auction & the others new which lot I was there to get !
Small hobby in a small country!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Uniforms / Equipment”