WW2 medals insignia and memorabilia

This board is for discussion of replica or original uniforms and equipment (such as rifles, mg's, airsoft).
Topper
Corporal

Re: WW2 medals insignia and memorabilia

Post by Topper »

Hi
I will dig a few of my pics of Verdun out, my son is the same
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hey guys,

I'm so very envious of all you Gent's who have these hallowed battlefields in your backyards! Not to mention the museums! I've toured many Indian War and Civil War battlefields and there is an odd quality about them all...time seems to stand still.

When we lived in Seattle, I worked with a chap who was about the same age as me. He was a stone mason/ stucco expert/and restorer of both. He was born and raised in Orel, Russia! 8O I was amazed, OMG! Kursk, Orel, Citadel! He said his GrandFather had died around there during the fighting. His Father and family were evacuated to the East until after the battle. His Father was 10 years old at the end of the war and grew up climbing on blown up, abandoned hulks of armor and other battlefield debris. In his early teens his Father would go and collect left over MG's, rifles, and other scraps of metal to turn in to the scrapyard. He lost a friend or two to unexploded ordinance. As a child my friend said there was still lots of items laying around in the ravines and hollows. Over the years, between metal recycling, trophy hunter's, and just weathering much was disappearing.

What I found so unbelievable was that he had so little interest in all this. :wtf: It was just what he grew up with. When I expressed my disbelief, he responded but you have Gettysburg, and Little Big Horn! Okay, he had a point! I take these landmarks for granted too! :/ He was interested in our Civil War, but what really blew his mind was his visions of Cowboys and Indians! I guess it's just what surrounds you that can shape your interests...or not?!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I’ve walked all over Gettysburg, and Valley Forge.
And a wooden covered bridge in West Virginia that was an early site of the Civil War whose specific name escapes me.
All the places I have trod do carry an unsaid expectation that you respect what happened there, and put the politics or nationality behind you.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Yes Sir that’s looking like it.
2013 I was there
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Uniforms / Equipment”